iCloud backup/restore - Google should take note

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I own an iPhone 4, and while it's nice, I'm an Android guy "at heart". However, the recent upgrade to iOS 5 brought some much needed "catch-up" improvements to get iOS more on par with Android, and even WP7. Anyway, nothing new there... I just reset the iPhone and restored it using the latest backup to iCloud, and there are a few things that it does right that Google could stand to do with Android...
  1. Besides music, it literally backs up and restores everything... text messages, call logs, data within the apps (that's a biggie I wish Android would incorporate for non-rooted users), email accounts and emails, custom ringtones, volume levels, etc. EVERYthing... and I never knew it was doing it either (on wifi at home anyway)
  2. It really was seamless... over wifi anyway. It would've taken awhile over 3G... with Android it seems like it doesn't always restore everything (settings, apps, etc) quite right... sometimes it does, but you never really know for sure. And you better not touch the Market before it restores everything!
  3. Besides re-syncing music, I was literally able to pick back up right where I left off, no hiccups or anything... I put the phone down for about 20 minutes while it was downloading everything over wifi, came back, and it was just like it was before.
Anyway, just thought it was a nice change from all the times I've restored Android and had to do some legwork to get it back to the way it was before. The data within the apps is the big one that I was surprised by...

Just sayin! ;)

mmead1143

Reaction score
That's a great feature!!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Parents just got an iphone4 each.

I'm gonna have to put outlook 07 on their PC's, but the iCloud thing is set up better than any other storage. Then again iOS works pretty much seamlessly between their whole lineup, hope ICS takes note....

I'll have to set them up tomorrow, exhausted from running each one through the same tutorial...wish they were home at the same time, but oh well.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think its harder for Google because there are so many different manufacturers and versions of a given Android OS. TouchWiz, Sense, Blur etc.

Apple has basically the same platform for every device. Ipad is the same as an Ipod Touch or Iphone

Boot Manager

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think its harder for Google because there are so many different manufacturers and versions of a given Android OS. TouchWiz, Sense, Blur etc.

Apple has basically the same platform for every device. Ipad is the same as an Ipod Touch or Iphone

Boot Manager

exactly, which is why I hope ICS will be more evenly distributed.

Manufacturers can have their UI, but the core of the OS is all the same, so hopefully the integration between devices will be better and actually supported. That's the real next step for Google imo, especially considering all the buzz iCloud gets.

I admit to thinking iCloud was just storage space on a server, I did not know it would work so seamlessly. However, I'm having trouble syncing my dad's Hotmail account to Outlook 2007...so it's not as seamless as it should be.....

gasbyset

Reaction score
Having the same problem. iCloud login has an old apple id and can't change it. Also can't use the password for the old id. As a result I can't use iCloud or reset the phone, because of find my iphone using the same id. Hoping this will be resolved soon.

Read more here: How to Backup iPhone to iCloud

Last edited: