Ice cream sandwitch

sloffredo98

Reaction score
Will the d2g ever get ics or stick with gingerbread

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Will the d2g ever get ics or stick with gingerbread

Woah there... Hold your horses. It hasn't even been officially announced yet. ;)
I think either 2 scenarios well happen, 1. No, because there are so many new phones coming out and those will capture the team at Moto. OR 2. It'll be out in probably more than 6 months like GB was... I think it's probably the latter, but i'm probably wrong with the time, I'm just guessing based on GB...

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It's a possibility, but I doubt it gets it. If it does, which I seriously doubt, by time you get it we will be about to get the next version lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It won't get it officially but it will be like the d1, keep getting it through roms until the hardware won't support it.

atleast as long as I have my d2g anyways....

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
it would be nice to get ICS, but its not "official" and even then, the Nexus Prime will have it, then probably the Nexus S and the Nexus 1, and THEN maybe trickle down to our lesser phones. I could see the G2X getting it waaaay before us. I just want to get my hands on it. :woot:

vikramsingh

Reaction score
I bought D2G 2 months ago, so it will be great if ICS is coming its way. Although a 6 month wait will see me changing the phone anyway :)

I am not sure if we can get custom ROM ICS because of the locked bootloader. Can someone explain if this is a real possibility?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Ice Cream Sandwich is essentially just a Linux distribution. I doubt there are lots of changes in the kernel, so it should be able to run even on the FroYo kernel with a few tweaks.

vikramsingh

Reaction score
Ice Cream Sandwich is essentially just a Linux distribution. I doubt there are lots of changes in the kernel, so it should be able to run even on the FroYo kernel with a few tweaks.

A small piece of Knowledge can open new doors! Thanks Yuno....but I see all the big sites touting ICS as "Major Update", so much so that i even started thinking that new apps may not work on GB.

But to be frank, I hate ICS's theme changes. i mean GB was already a landmark in terms of smoothing the GUI with consistent Greens and Blacks, but now ICS out of no where introduces blues that make it look GUI fragmented again. It almost seems Android team has no single vision in terms of GUI, but just random experiments.

maxwellag

Reaction score
But the problem is ice cream sandwich was designed for phones with 720p screen resolution and dual core processors... does the d2g have 720p?

vikramsingh

Reaction score
But the problem is ice cream sandwich was designed for phones with 720p screen resolution and dual core processors... does the d2g have 720p?

Nope - FWVGA. But going by that rule, no currently available phone should get ICS. Not even the Nexus S. Are you sure?

maxwellag

Reaction score
Pretty sure, I was watching a youtube video about it. Someone attended the revealing meeting (not sure what its called) and he said that ics was for phones with 720p display.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
That's incorrect. It can run on phones that aren't 720p. Otherwise no current phones would be able to run it. However, the Galaxy Nexus does have a 720p display.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Even if it was "for phones with 720p" then it can still be made to work on others via source code edits....

leobg

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken ICS runs on Linux kernel 3.0. Froyo/GB were on 2.6.xx Jumping minor version (like 2.6.29 to 2.6.32) might not be too difficult, but from 2.x to 3.x sounds like a "fair jump". I am no developer, just sharing an opinion.