Ice Cream Sandwich

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
And yes, the/my X2 shipped with GB... and the DX was first and till recently (if I'm not mistaken) the only one to officially get the OTA GB ... As motorola, however slow, seems to have been the first manufacturer to get the updates, their new merger will most likely impact future updates. As for requiring duel cores for ICS? I've read somewhere, that Honeycomb does not, so likely a version of ICS will be avail for single core devices as well... Perhaps, and I can hope, this will carry over to the single core tablets like the orig galaxy tab...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^The X2 did not have GB on its release day. The early buyers got it via OTA.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Don't rem the release day, sorry... The one I got at the corp store how ever, did have it?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
You're right, I was only thinking of the Droid X. Apologies, though my point is still valid. And if you read my posts obviously the X2 wasn't released with GB.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
There was definitely an official OTA update for the original Droid before the X2. I am 100% sure of this because us X2 owners were up in arms that we had so many issues but still were one of the last to get the update. Yes, there was a hacked version of GB out before that, but an official one was released. It might have been the Droid X and not the OG, but still that's almost a year before the X2. Pretty sure OG Droid got it too though...

The original OG update was the 12th of Dec 09 if I remember right, than was the long wait for froyo .. may have been one in between, not sure.

celtic11

Reaction score
You're right, I was only thinking of the Droid X. Apologies, though my point is still valid. And if you read my posts obviously the X2 wasn't released with GB.

I got my d3 about two weeks after release and it had GB on it already so I assumed it and the X2 had shipped with GB. So my bad but don't get defensive about me second guessing your posts when they weren't exactly accurate.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

brandon9559

Reaction score
I don't know about that. OG droid got GB way before the X2 did. You'd THINK the newer phones would have priority on new updates, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. I think I got Froyo on my Eris before it was released to a lot of other phones. Then again, I didn't know much about phones back then so I might be remembering wrong.

I have also heard ICS and the Bionic were made for eachother. Though I'm also surprised there was such a huge gap (like a year, right?) between Froyo and GB, but ICS phones are coming out in a few months. Maybe GB was a transition OS to find the middle ground between single/dual core phones. Maybe only dual core phones will get full ICS, singles will get a new GB? Who knows...

I know the Droid 1 never got GB officially but you also said the Droid Eris got froyo?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it didn't I would punt it

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I know the Droid 1 never got GB officially but you also said the Droid Eris got froyo?

Like I said it was awhile ago so maybe it wasn't Froyo, but it was definitely an OTA update in Q2ish of 2010 that completely changed the phone.

Celtic I apologize, I wasn't getting defensive.

Tacomatrd4x402

Reaction score
As a previous owner of of both the DroidX and the DroidX2, I can definitly confirm that the DroidX came with Eclair on launch date and the DroidX2 came with Froyo on launch date. I do remember updating my DroidX OTA to Froyo from Eclair and also to GB from Froyo. The DroidX had much love. It was upsetting upgrading from the DroidX w/ GB to a DroidX2 w/ Froyo knowing that the GB update wasn't coming anytime soon for the DroidX2. But once it did, it was all worth the wait.

As for the OG Droid...I can't comment...I was with my lame ass BBStorm2 at the time of launch.

r6pokey

Reaction score
GB....?

nice to hear about gingerbread, but this thread was intended for Ice Cream Sandwich. lets all get back on topic.