Ice Cream Sandwich News from Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by naknak95, Apr 6, 2012.

1. naknak95

naknak95 New Member

I know a lot of people (including me) were disappointed on April 4th when the official ICS wasn't released. Although, I did come across this on their Facebook page, which is a link that shows that the update is still planned for sometime this year.

Link: Ice Cream Sandwich Coming to Many Verizon Wireless Smartphones
  2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Verizon sucks at software updates. Both release times s functionality

its been weeks and tapatalk devs still can fix ICS force close issues...must not be very good if they can't debug their own app
  3. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

Tapatalk has had problems for months. The current version is not ICS compatible. It just sort of works with ICS.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  4. Spydaz

Spydaz Member

I've been running Moto's 4.0.3 ics for 2 days now and have NO issues with any Apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  5. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Which do you think will be addressed first - Tapatalk making its software work well with ICS or Droidforum making its software work well with Tapatalk? Not trying to start a fight, but I really wish that 1) I could Like using Tapatalk and 2) when looking at a reply the quoted part of it would be graphically obvious (indented, colored - something) instead of having to try and sort through a post looking for the end of the "Quote" HTML markup.
  6. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

I love it! So this list told us what we already knew, and nothing that we didn't (IE WHEN!?!?). Thanks Verizon.
  7. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Lol that's my tapatalk signature.... I didnt post it to make a point. It shows up in all my posts. Like the sent using tapatalk signature. Haha

its been weeks and tapatalk devs still can fix ICS force close issues...must not be very good if they can't debug their own app
  8. JHOOPS2

JHOOPS2 New Member

This will be my first and last Moto device I believe. I bought this expecting ICS to be out in December, but no later than February...well, I was fooled. Fool me once, shame on you. Fooling me twice has never happened. BYW, I also bought a 4G Xoom thinking ICS was right around the corner, so maybe I was fooled twice in some sickening fashion.
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

December? The source code wasn't released until the middle of November, so there's no way they could build a stable OS by December. February is pushing it as well considering everything that OEMs add to the software with their skins and overlays. It actually takes a lot of time to develop the updates properly. History should have been an indicator that you wouldn't see an update for awhile. I agree that at this point it's starting to get ridiculous that they haven't pushed out an official build, but this stuff doesn't happen overnight. If they were really on the ball with it, March should have been when we saw a release.

If the past four years have taught me anything, it's that you should never buy an Android phone based off of promises of future major OS updates. Buy a phone that you like and can live with as it is right now. Future updates are just bonuses. If you want a guarantee of future updates, at least for a year or two, buy a Nexus phone, Windows Phone, or an iPhone.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  10. mthorn79

mthorn79 New Member

Dude you nailed it...the part I quoted should be a disclaimer on every Android phone's wall...well said sir

11. reddem0n

reddem0n New Member

Wonder when they will have it for the Droid X. :-(
  12. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

Honestly though, the Xoom should be looked at as a shining example that Motorola its not to blame. You say you quill never buy a Moto again but they updated the WiFi version PhD thugs Xoom in January so obviously it is Verizon that is keeping them from updating the 4g version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  13. JHOOPS2

JHOOPS2 New Member

Just a quick google. Maybe December is a bit early, but there was a lot of speculation that we would be getting ICS within a month or so of the Nexus' release date. Everything that Motorola and Verizon was putting out showed that we should expect it early 2012. Well, it is now April.

The start of 2012
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395026,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/motorola-razr-to-get-updated-to-ice-cream-sandwich-in-early-2012/

http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/10/...-droid-razr-htc-still-thinking-about-updates/

1st Quarter
    Droid Razr To Taste Ice Cream Sandwich Update In First Half Of 2012 | TechCrunch
  14. JHOOPS2

JHOOPS2 New Member

Good point, but if I was Moto I would apply some pressure on getting this done asap. There are customers being lost. I can't count how many people I know that went with the Nexus just simply because of ICS and no other reason. They all say that if the Razr had ICS they would have bought it because of the total package. I guess I'm just jaded.
  15. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

From the article:

"Update: A Motorola representative has reached out to us to clarify that ICS will make its way to US Droid Razrs sometime in the first half of 2012, and not the first quarter as originally reported."

As for the first three articles, it's still "early 2012." It's early 2012 until we reach mid 2012. So there's nothing in any of those articles to indicate that we should have received an update in the time frame you wanted. There was never any indication of getting ICS withing a month of the Nexus' release date either. No one ever believes that will happen for non-Nexus phones (and it doesn't even always happen for Nexus phones), and if they do, it's because they've never gone through waiting for major OS updates on Android before.

I guess the rumors of an ICS release this week has gotten everyone so worked up to where they're reading into every article they can find and twisting things in order to justify their frustration over being taken in by the rumors. There's never been anything but rumors and quotes of "early 2012" and "first half of 2012" for an ICS update on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX, both of which we're still in.
  16. JHOOPS2

JHOOPS2 New Member

Maybe I just transposed when I thought it was coming out for the Xoom then or something. In any case, I'm still miffed about the xoom not having it yet.
  17. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Key word is speculation hoops :) As another member already pointed out do NOT ever buy a handset based on when you think its OS will be updated. Despite what you read and from whom, you can never be sure the info is accurate ESPECIALLY when it comes to a device or devices being updated. You have about 3 or 4 more rumor dates to go through before an accurate one shows up :)

Every big update has a pattern it seems. 4-5 rumors/tips that never pan out, followed by an accurate one. Save yourself some aggravation and just plan on a summer release. Not an early or mid or late one neither lol. Sometime this summer :)

1 rumor down 3-4 to go

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  18. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

And that's totally understandable. The Xoom was supposed to be Google's reference tablet, a Nexus device without the actual Nexus branding. It should have seen a prompt release shortly after the Galaxy Nexus dropped. Verizon is the reason for the hold up there, just like they've been the hold up for an update on the Galaxy Nexus. CDMA devices require proprietary files and programming, so there's no way for updates to be directly pushed by Google like they can on GSM devices that only require a SIM card in order to adjust the settings of the device to work with a given carrier. It makes things much more difficult, and understandably frustrating, to have those devices on Verizon (or Sprint for that matter).
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. tkileh

tkileh Member

Your guys goal today was to have me wake up check tapatalk and be sad immediately wasn't it! Haha.

20. TheAlpha

TheAlpha New Member

Wow

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
how to upgrade htc incrediable 2 to ice cream

htc incredible 2 ice cream sandwich download

htc incredible 2 ics release date

incredible 2 ics update verizon