"Ice Cream" launching Mid-2011

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
attachment.php

With all the talk of Gingerbread and Honeycomb there is yet one more desert to lay out on the table. With all the speculation of what the "I" would be it's not surprising to find out that according to Tudor Brown, President of ARM, it will be called Ice Cream.

The launch is scheduled after Gingerbread and Honeycomb which puts it around mid 2011.

So lets recap all these delicious desserts.

Gingerbread is expected to be released before the end of the year (tablets), Honeycomb early 2011 and finally Ice Cream mid 2011.

One last interesting note that I should mention. Forbes refers to Ice Cream as Android 4.0, following Honeycomb 3.5 and Gingerbread 3.0. This conflicts with what Phonedog has heard: Gingerbread relegated to a 2.x release and Honeycomb will be version 3.0.

So there you have it. All these delicious desserts rolled up into one delicious news article. I don't know about you but I now have a craving for something sweet now.

Source: Phonedog, Forbes

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tell me when I can get my 2ghz, 4.0 inch high res screen, front facing camera, thin - no keyboard, and tons of memory and I'll be interested. Oh and better speakers.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Tell me when I can get my 2ghz, 4.0 inch high res screen, front facing camera, thin - no keyboard, and tons of memory and I'll be interested. Oh and better speakers.
Q4 2011 more than likely.....

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

So you just listed the Droid X with a different processor and no front camera. I mean, really, current AndroidOS flies on my 1Ghz processor and a front facing camera is a novelty. Do you actually expect to carry a conversation holding yoru phone at arms length or so in front of you. How about having to sit at a table when you want to make a call. Its ridiculous. How many people have a webcam built into the bezel of their laptop/netbook and never use it. Its just a selling point that has no real value.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
threaded apps??

Applications designed to run in multiple threads so they can take advantage of multiple cores. It was first dreamed up when the P4 hit and hyperthreading was enabled. Basically the lag between onset and finish of every application was so great that it was faster to break the application's data request/processing into smaller pieces (threads) and pushing them through simultaneously than it was to wait for the larger chunk to finish. The theory was applied to the first dual-CPU and dual-core setups with great success.

It's been a big deal in multi-core server setups for years upon years. Once we start getting multi-core phones we'll start getting multi-threaded apps to take advantage of it. Expect it first in games since they're the most-demanding on the CPU and GPU anyway. :)

And sorry if I'm wrong on a few of the details, I've been taking threaded applications for granted for years on my PC, so I'm a little rusty on my research. :) Essentially that's accurate, if in spirit alone.

bd1212

Reaction score

So you just listed the Droid X with a different processor and no front camera. I mean, really, current AndroidOS flies on my 1Ghz processor and a front facing camera is a novelty. Do you actually expect to carry a conversation holding yoru phone at arms length or so in front of you. How about having to sit at a table when you want to make a call. Its ridiculous. How many people have a webcam built into the bezel of their laptop/netbook and never use it. Its just a selling point that has no real value.

This. I definitely agree. Normal phone conversations > Video Phone conversation for the sole purpose that the majority of the population do not have video chat capable phones.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
threaded apps??

Applications designed to run in multiple threads so they can take advantage of multiple cores. It was first dreamed up when the P4 hit and hyperthreading was enabled. Basically the lag between onset and finish of every application was so great that it was faster to break the application's data request/processing into smaller pieces (threads) and pushing them through simultaneously than it was to wait for the larger chunk to finish. The theory was applied to the first dual-CPU and dual-core setups with great success.

It's been a big deal in multi-core server setups for years upon years. Once we start getting multi-core phones we'll start getting multi-threaded apps to take advantage of it. Expect it first in games since they're the most-demanding on the CPU and GPU anyway. :)

And sorry if I'm wrong on a few of the details, I've been taking threaded applications for granted for years on my PC, so I'm a little rusty on my research. :) Essentially that's accurate, if in spirit alone.

ok i get it it thanks for learning me something new

so what do you think the next version (J) will be called

im going for jelly bean i would say jello but its copyrighted but droid was also so you never know

Smokie

Reaction score
that doesn't mean that the 5th Gen iPhone's VZW is getting will have Ice Cream OS right? they'll still obviously run whatever apple firmware version is going at the time like normal? is there any possibility to ever get an iphone to run some sort of android software? just curious.