ICANN, the Internet's Governing Body was Recently Hacked Too

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Sony wasn't the only large entity that was hacked recently. In fact, the other hacking target should be a greater concern for most of us than Sony, yet it has received very little press. ICANN, the governing body behind the database of domain names and IP addresses across the web was also recently hacked.

Supposedly, their employees were tricked by a phishing attack that exposed email login info, which resulted in the theft of Administrative access to all the files in the Centralized Zone Data System and much more. If that doesn't have you quaking in your boots, then it should. Here's a quote with more of the details,

If the folks who run the "core of the internet" can be tricked into this level of hack, then the entire globe needs to rethink the way we handle security on the Internet, or things could start getting really ugly really fast.

Source: Engadget

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    The employees who were tricked were probably lower level staff who are simply clerical or administrative, but with sufficient data clearance to gain access to the information. The IT department wouldn't (I certainly hope), fall for such a phishing attack. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    This kind of talk makes me worry about the company I work for. I'm not saying anybody is stupid, but we try to have seminars every other week to help educate us on the importance of not only customer and company privacy but our own. These are the types of seminars though that I look around and people are immediately on their phones...That's the point of this seminar -_- Even though we are all tech support some of us are not IT trained at all and that scares me because of attacks like at ICANN.

• Like Like x 1