I wrote my first Android app last night.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MichaelW, Sep 6, 2010.

1. MichaelW

MichaelW New Member

I just got my Droid X on Thursday and that was my first experience with Android. I love my phone and this OS. I find it intuitive and easy.

So with that said......

I have to thank or blame this forum for giving me the link to Android Developer website. It's all your fault!

LOL

Ok I am a tinkerer and have to take things apart and figure know how things work. It's been a good decade since I laid down any code (in C) and figured since this Android OS is open source with a pretty cool set of development apps and kits available, I figured why not mess around and see how much trouble I can get into.

So I downloaded the SDK and and the Java support and a set of Google tools and followed some examples on the Android Developer website.

The language is fairly foreign to me but the idea of containers and structures is not. So I have some idea of what I was doing when I wrote my first "Hello Android" app. So needless to say I was disappointed when I didn't get a cool little Android Emulator window showing my "Hello Android" output. And I was all excited to jump over to XML and start on an app I could use for my business. Arrrrgh I thought as I shut down the computer at 2am, a good 4 hours past this old guys bedtime. (lol) Then to my surprise I look over to my Droid X that is connected via the USB and it is sitting there displaying....

"Hello Android"

I was jazzed as I crawled into bed and can't wait to see what I can do next.

Oh well, just thought I'd share.

:bling:
  2. _33

_33 Member

Nice! Someday... I will make a me soundboard.
  3. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

I love this feeling. Like when I successfully compiled my first rom, or when I figured out how to get something to look like what I had imagined it. You just can't help but get a smile across your face. Continue working at it and I'm sure you will have many more moments like this :)
  4. importune

importune Theme Developer Theme Developer

I can't wait to do the same- congrats mate.
  5. kevdog

kevdog New Member

Great story -- keep it up!!
  6. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

:clap:Congrats.
  7. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

Congrats sir. I hope to join the ranks some day.
  8. plaidman

plaidman New Member

Great to see someone else having fun playing with development stuff! I think if you leave your phone disconnected or off debug mode, the emulator will pop up so you can test on that instead.

Good luck!
  9. MichaelW

MichaelW New Member

Thanks!

Do you have any recommendations of books to read or to reference. I have been coding in Basic, Assembler, VB, Fortran, Pascal, C, Lisp, html and Javascript. But those are pretty much direct language insert square block into square hole and I got out before the objects took over. I used to write some decent SIO programs mostly for mini's (Data General, Wang, AS400 etc) to PC, linking and serial communication apps. I wrote a COGO program to interface in AutoCad once, just so I could say I did. LOL I think I should have my head examined.

So for the interested dabbler, what do you recommend for a book? I asked this over on the X forums but I think for DEV this will be "The Place".

Thanks!
  10. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Search tags for this page

cogo android

cogo app for android
cogo apps for android

cogo for android

survey cogo for android