I would like to extend a farewell to y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I won't move to the iPhone for the sheer reason that the OS is locked. For that matter, I won't get another Droid until they have one as open as the Original Droid 1. I like modding my Droid way too much!

I was an Apple fan going back to the original MacIntosh. I still have an original 5gb iPod that still works! (It's the size of a deck of playing cards and three times as heavy!) I did have to pry it open once to change the battery pack since it would only last 5 minutes at the end of the original battery's life. That was quite a project. I also have iPod nanos.

Apple lost me as a fan with their unabashed grab for cash when the they wanted to charge me additional money for songs I purchased on iTunes just to do away with the DRM encoding. Total BS! They should offer this to us free of charge since I have already spent thousands of dollars with them! I now purchase my music online through Amazon. I will not give Apple another dime.

Anyhow, enjoy your iPhone......

moosez3

Reaction score
Night and day difference. Stock iphones go several days on a charge easy. It's the only interesting "feature" of iphone for me.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
+1

I had an iPhone 3G and It would always last over 24 hours, I've even had it last 2 full days before. This was also in a low coverage area, if I had Verizon with their awesome service I bet it would have lasted even longer.

Battery life is what I hate most about my Droid, I'm lucky if I get 8 hours out of it. I charged my phone over night, unplugged it around 7:30 this morning, and as of now at 12:30 it's at 40% with only two phone calls made.

Yeah My battery life was NEVER good, hardly ever lasts even 8 hours of normal, to me, use. And definitely never lasted more than a day... the price to pay for now, that seriously is the only thing I hate about the OG. there other things that bother me, but I literally hate the battery life.

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Night and day difference. Stock iphones go several days on a charge easy. It's the only interesting "feature" of iphone for me.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
+1

I had an iPhone 3G and It would always last over 24 hours, I've even had it last 2 full days before. This was also in a low coverage area, if I had Verizon with their awesome service I bet it would have lasted even longer.

Battery life is what I hate most about my Droid, I'm lucky if I get 8 hours out of it. I charged my phone over night, unplugged it around 7:30 this morning, and as of now at 12:30 it's at 40% with only two phone calls made.

Yeah My battery life was NEVER good, hardly ever lasts even 8 hours of normal, to me, use. And definitely never lasted more than a day... the price to pay for now, that seriously is the only thing I hate about the OG. there other things that bother me, but I literally hate the battery life.

just remember that you are running a little computer in your pocket, think about that before complaining about battery :)

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1

just remember that you are running a little computer in your pocket, think about that before complaining about battery :)

my little computer wouldn't last a day if I used it as a paper weight lol... doesn't matter though I'm with android till the end

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kptphalkon

Reaction score

my little computer wouldn't last a day if I used it as a paper weight lol... doesn't matter though I'm with android till the end

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

After tweaking lots of settings and learning a great deal about my phone since i got my first droid in december (early christmas present...for myself lol), i finally got the guts to flash a ROM. Battery life hasnt increased noticeably, but i can have 50% after 8 hours with roughly 2.5 hours of combined use, not counting checking the time every half hour or so or responding to texts and emails.

Have yet to put down my phone long enough to see what i can get using it as a paperweight ;) Im finally happy with my battery life!

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

moosez3

Reaction score
+1

Okay I dont feel I should settle for mediocrity as far as the battery is concerned. That being said I understand that I am not entitled or deserving of anything. I do agree that these little computers are amazing.

However these are not little computer of today, and they cannot do what computers of today can do. The technologies of everything have obviously been advancing, the companies (except for apple) are choosing not to invest a lot at this time in research in battery life. This will change if the customers complain a lot. I just want the battery tech to move as quickly as the CPU and GPU tech for phones.

These articles are several years old:
Betavoltaic Battery: Scientists Invent 30 Year Continuous Power Laptop Battery
New 'Nuclear Battery' Runs 10 Years, 10 Times More Powerful : University of Rochester News
A 25-Year Battery  - Technology Review

While these are far-fetched at this time it is clear that the 1400-1900 mAh that we have in our phones are outdated compared to what companies could make. Pacemakers are like the size of a couple quarters and the batteries have somewhere around 2500 mAh.

loco

Reaction score
im actually considering the iphone 4 also. however, im truly on the fence. i dont think there is an android device out there that has the sleekness of the iphone design, the way it fits in your hand and the smoothness of the brush aluminum edge. its truly a thing of beauty.

one of my coworkers got his vzw iphone a few days ago and we all stood around as he unboxed it. everyones thoughts were the same......wow, that device is so sexy. we compared the display to the samsung fascinate of one of the guys. the iphone display blew the samsung display out of the water. even though its a little smaller, its truly brillant. it took cleaner, crisper photos and the video looked better as well.

to me, hardware wise, the iphone 4 is a surperior device. but the os has to go to the droid phones. other then that, the itunes thing sucks. but like the original poster. ive wanted one since i first layed eyes on it.

does it matter to me that i can talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time.....heck no ! lastly, isnt the 4g data plans going to be more expensive ?? if thats the case, why wait on 4g ?? i already pay verizon a grip of money for 4 phones on a family plan.

im undecided at this point, but im seriously considering the iphone 4. this weekend will tell.

but while we are at it, what exactly are you guys talking about that the droid does....that the iphone doesnt ? i was going to get a samsung fascinate, maybe you can convince me to stay with a droid.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Hope you enjoy your new phone. To each his own. I personally would not want one. I have the og droid and love it. Even with all the new phones coming out and being eligible for an upgrade I am keeping my Droid. Plus I do not like anything Apple. I hate being tied to ITunes. I have never even owned a Mac and would never get one. But again this is my personal choice.

With that said I like the fact that this thread hasn't degenerated into this is better than that - fanboy this fanboy that. Bottom line get the phone you want. I hate when people try and convince you to get the phone that they want. Somehow I guess it justifies their purchase.

If you have been waiting that long for the IPhone I am willing to bet you will love it.
My son-in-law is the same as you. Wanted an IPhone from day one. Finally got one the other day from Verizon and he loves it. I'm happy for him.

JMHO......

hoppermi

Reaction score
loco, I did get the Fascinate. I absolutely love it. The iPhone is very nice too. I wouldn't get one right away though. I know several people who have the ATT iPhone4 and have serious issues w/ the proximity sensor. Constantly hanging up on people w/ their face. I would wait a couple weeks,to see what issues it has. It has a nice screen though.

Android does Flash, true multitasking, widgets, free navigation w/ google maps, no iTunes requirements, and I'm sure there are others.

If you like running custom roms and UI's Android all the way, if not, iPhone may be for U.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope you enjoy your new phone. To each his own. I personally would not want one. I have the og droid and love it. Even with all the new phones coming out and being eligible for an upgrade I am keeping my Droid. Plus I do not like anything Apple. I hate being tied to ITunes. I have never even owned a Mac and would never get one. But again this is my personal choice.

With that said I like the fact that this thread hasn't degenerated into this is better than that - fanboy this fanboy that. Bottom line get the phone you want. I hate when people try and convince you to get the phone that they want. Somehow I guess it justifies their purchase.

If you have been waiting that long for the IPhone I am willing to bet you will love it.
My son-in-law is the same as you. Wanted an IPhone from day one. Finally got one the other day from Verizon and he loves it. I'm happy for him.

JMHO......

What do you mean "being tied to iTunes?." Nobody is forcing you to buy anything from iTunes, that serves as your back up and how you get your updates.

phdmt49

Reaction score
I have a droid incredible, had an iphone 3g, love it, moved away from at&t and went to droid. Since Verizon now has iphone, I can't decide to keep my droid or get an iphone. Anyone have pros and cons. Thanks

Caesarg

Reaction score

JMHO......

What do you mean "being tied to iTunes?." Nobody is forcing you to buy anything from iTunes, that serves as your back up and how you get your updates.

Maybe things have changed. So if I got an IPhone now I do not have to load Itunes or any of their other software? I can simply sync it like an Android as a USB drive? The other issue I have with apple is most of their products are overpriced in comparison to say PC's. Again just my opinion. I teach in high school and I have a lot of friends that swear by everything apple. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like them.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe things have changed. So if I got an IPhone now I do not have to load Itunes or any of their other software? I can simply sync it like an Android as a USB drive? The other issue I have with apple is most of their products are overpriced in comparison to say PC's. Again just my opinion. I teach in high school and I have a lot of friends that swear by everything apple. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like them.

The same apps that you get in the Android Market are available in the App Store. The App Store you access just like you do the Market and updates for your apps come through there.

iTunes is used to register your phone (I have the iPad) and to get the latest firmware. But I still buy all my music through Amazon. I do that on my iMac and it goes right into iTunes. It's also your backup.

The Market is locked down and prices are higher, but for what you get it's worth the extra money for the apps. Angry Birds for example is free on Android with ad's but it's ad free at the app store for 4.99.

I really don't understand why people say "I just don't like Apple products" without giving a reason. Lot's of people say that. Hey I like Apple and I like Android. I hate Microsoft, but there is plenty of reason for that. I understand that Windows 7 is doing better and that's nice to hear but I've had too many windows computers crash on me and I've lost everything. Never happens with my Mac. Perfect? Nope, I do my maintenance every 2 or 3 weeks and every once in a while I have a disk error but all I have to do is stick a disk in it, reboot, and it have it repair.

I've got a long time before I'll be giving up my D2. 14 months. What will I do then? Will I consider Apple? Yes, I will. But if Android is just smoking Apple out of the Market I certainly won't. My Droid, Mac and iPad have all learned to live peacefully together. I like Google so I'll just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.