I would like some criticism!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Bubba925, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Well I am 17, not able to work or play sports my senior year in high school due to a shoulder injury so I resorted to the internet for money. I cant find many sites that can really get you money, but I did hear about blogging and money so I made my own! It is kinda shotty, but it is my opinion on latest news that is released, and I am going to try and continuously update it even if I don't have any readers! If I can not post this here tell me and I will remove it, or just delete it!

Bubba Tech
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    It's not terrible. I liked the story about the bullet proof BB. Good luck. At least you are attempting to do some work for a living. Most "kids" I know your age would be content to sit around the house and let mom and dad pay for everything and think the world owes them everything. It's always nice to run into someone your age that at least wants to try to make the effort.
  3. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Thank you! The only reason I didn't have a job before was because of Football, and no that is gone. So do you have any suggestions for it? I am thinking about moving it over to a different theme and website altogether once I figure out what I want to do and if I can get any readers.
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I like simple and personally I like dark, so no. The hardests parts will be a) keeping it constantly updated, and b) building up your initial fan base. Once you do that, word of mouth will get you more fans.

Perhaps make a Facebook and Myspace page, Twitter, etc.
  5. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Thank you! I have already gone about making a Twitter, but still need to integrate that into it! I planned on keeping it dark and simple just because I hate clutter and bright colors hurt my eyes when I read them at night or in the morning! Thanks! Anymore from anyone else?
  6. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Well I have still been updating, and I would like some more criticism anyone has to offer. You could even just tell me how much it sucks, I don't care, whatever criticism you have!
  7. 306stang

306stang New Member

contributed my $0.01

good luck
  8. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Lol, well thanks but this wasn't exactly for that =P whatd you think of the site?
  9. Mr.G

Mr.G New Member

Decent site.

If you are interested in interwebz for moneys try Amazon Turking. It isn't the most financially rewarding way to make a buck but an hour or three of some diligent work and you can have enough for dinner that night.
  10. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Try not to use the word "well" so much. That was the first thing I noticed.
  11. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

I will look into it! Thank you!

Hmm, I will look into it! I am just starting writing so I have a lot to learn.
  12. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

He didn't use the word "well" a whole lot.......I just noticed it at the beginning of each section on the website lol Not a big deal though, honestly....just eliminate the word from the beginning of the paragraphs....

But overall, your site really wasn't that bad at all in my opinion....you seemed to know what you were talking about
  13. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Thank you, and I will definitely look out for repetitive usage of words
  14. JhankG

JhankG New Member

It is certainly not a big deal, but it was just something that stuck out to me. I'm a stickler for things like that (thanks mom). :)
  15. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

I'd change one big thing if it were mine, have topics with short descriptions about the content with an included link to the full story (maybe in the header) This way people can click the topics they want to read instead of scanning every word you write going down the page of your site. Include links to other sources of info, and add some pictures to spice things up and make it look professional.

Other then that, not bad man. With some work and refinement I'd support your site.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  16. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Actually I was thinking of doing this myself, just wasn't sure if it really mattered. I am also trying to figure out if I want to move the site onto an actual host and find a different theme. I will actually do what you said right now. Thanks for the feed back guys!
  17. NOLAsailing

NOLAsailing New Member

From an aesthetic standpoint, you need more color contrast; it's too uniformly dark.

Also, as has been mentioned, don't start every post with "well."

Your stated goal is to make money off of the blog. How do you intend to achieve that goal? How are you going to generate revenue; perhaps advertisers or Google ads?

How much do you stand to earn and is this the best way to go about it? How much do you want to earn and is it close to the blog's income potential? What are your alternatives?

Who are you marketing too - who is the audience and who are your customers (those paying for a service or advertisement)?

What is your message and the goal of the blog? You need to define that for yourself, if you haven't already, and then post it right on the top of the blog.

Who else is doing this? What other blogs/websites cater to the same audience? How are you different? How are you better?

By the way, I don't expect to post those answers here - unless you want to - but since you stated you would like to earn money from the blog, you should be able to answer each of those questions quickly and have those answers reflected in the blog.

GOOD LUCK! I enjoyed reading the blog and look forward to more.
  18. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

One thing I do like about you (aside from your site) is your attitude, and also the fact that you put your opinion right out there. Which is good, but you may want to approach it specifically by putting in a summary at the end of an unbiased write-up with your comments, thoughts, or opinion. I've seen other people strart pages like this and can't get a following because the story is about what they think. Be less of a blog and more of a website. This way you report unbiased news (which everyone likes) with the benefit of reading someone else's opinion as well (which most people like, but not all). If you have the capability, add a comment box link or something so your readers can perhaps sign up and interact with your stories and discuss/debate. Might not be ready for this level yet, but that would be huge for getting a large following in a sort amount of time. :)
  19. Bubba925

Bubba925 New Member

Actually I have to come up with some answers for these questions but thank you! I also have a few templates in mind with more than just black and grey, although I like darker.

Thank you, great idea! I will have to start doing this!

Possible themes:
    Grey Mag Blogger Template - BTemplates
    All Black Blogger Template - BTemplates
    Boosting Blogger Template - BTemplates
    Rockwell Blogger Template - BTemplates I really like this one
    Prellucid Dashed Blogger Template - BTemplates
    Shine Blogger Template - BTemplates
    Cool Feelings Blogger Template - BTemplates Like this one as well
    Black Gelly Blogger Template - BTemplates I like these colors kind of

Any responses to these themes would be nice! Thanks for all the support and criticism guys!

I think I got my desired theme! It is up now!
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  20. NYZ93

NYZ93 New Member

try to make it brighter dark background on websites doesnt really work anymore i mean think about it

engadget
    boygeniusreport
    dvice
    droidforums

Just a couple of technology sites which from what it looks like is what you are trying to achive i have yet to see a dark background one