I wish Android would...

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
... become much more standardized across devices in a way where Google can be in control of updates. What do I mean? Well, do you remember back in the day when Google Maps, GMail, Google Search, etc. were all ONLY available from the ROM manufacturers (Motorola, HTC, etc.) and were not available on the Market? Well, Google did what I'm wishing for with those apps and pulled them out of the ROM-only-updating model and into the Google-controlled-updating model. I wish they would do this with more aspects of the OS. I understand not 100% of the ROMs can be this way (drivers and all) but maybe they should make it such that the manufacturers can use a similar method to push out new drivers as well? Still, there would be other things that would have to be pushed out OTA by carriers/manufacturers (radio ROMs, etc.) but I would LOVE to see less of Android dependent upon these carrier updates and more to be dependent upon these Google-driven updates!

I think this would eliminate (or help deter) a LOT of the crap that manufacturers put on our phones (I mean where they ruin the phones with Sense/Blur embedded into our phones and intrusive in every way). Still, we should be allowed to and able to install such applications, but they should be just that - applications that run and communicate with each other and not an infestation of our operating system. In fact, I think this would help the manufacturers (Moto with Blur, HTC with Sense) to update these pieces of their software as well! Allow me to download the Blur Framework (an "application" that other applications can communicate with, kinda like other libraries we can download right now), and once I have that then I would have the ability to download Blur Alarm Clock, Blur Home, Blur Widgets, Blur Email, Blur Social Networking, etc. Again, now I'm beginning to have clear separation of concerns with my phone's software in a way that doesn't force anything on anybody (well, it forces the manufacturers to NOT have to deal with major OS updates, just the lower-level stuff that they're good at) and it allows MUCH more freedom, flexibility, and faster turn-around time.

Seriously, when Microsoft releases a new update, whether we like it or not, it's available across all computers! I mean, when that crappy old Bing Toolbar came out, Dell users didn't have to wait an extra month over HP users, right? Likewise, when Dell released a new BIOS for their servers, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 got it at the same time, and neither really cared whether they had them or not! Additionally, when Dell released their new "Click here to have us troubleshoot your PC" software for only Dell users, again, it didn't matter which of the other things were installed, it was available and it just worked! (I used Microsoft/Windows here as an example but the same can be said about Linux as well although, maybe not Apple.)

I really wish we would get more into such a situation and from a technical standpoint, I think it would be possible, for the most part. There will clearly be some dependencies sometimes, so in those cases something should be done to keep us from getting into bad situations (rolling back an update should be pretty simple with Android's model even if we do get into a bad situation).

Will this happen? I think it will happen more than it happens now but I doubt we will get there because this requires a level of maturity that we really just don't see anymore in technology because everybody is always racing ahead with only a mostly-finished product and is never finishing it because they're afraid of being left behind.

turdbogls

Reaction score
so from what i gathered (didn't read the entire rant...i mean thread)
you want a pure google experience with no bloat ware. with updates coming directly from Google.

this will NEVER happen. android is Open source, so manufacturers will do what they think is best. which is add their own software on top of android. there are always phones out there, and there are always ways to get pure android on pretty much any phone.

i agree with you 100%, but i know it will NEVER happen.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
... become much more standardized across devices in a way where Google can be in control of updates. What do I mean? Well, do you remember back in the day when Google Maps, GMail, Google Search, etc. were all ONLY available from the ROM manufacturers (Motorola, HTC, etc.) and were not available on the Market? Well, Google did what I'm wishing for with those apps and pulled them out of the ROM-only-updating model and into the Google-controlled-updating model. I wish they would do this with more aspects of the OS. I understand not 100% of the ROMs can be this way (drivers and all) but maybe they should make it such that the manufacturers can use a similar method to push out new drivers as well? Still, there would be other things that would have to be pushed out OTA by carriers/manufacturers (radio ROMs, etc.) but I would LOVE to see less of Android dependent upon these carrier updates and more to be dependent upon these Google-driven updates!

I think this would eliminate (or help deter) a LOT of the crap that manufacturers put on our phones (I mean where they ruin the phones with Sense/Blur embedded into our phones and intrusive in every way). Still, we should be allowed to and able to install such applications, but they should be just that - applications that run and communicate with each other and not an infestation of our operating system. In fact, I think this would help the manufacturers (Moto with Blur, HTC with Sense) to update these pieces of their software as well! Allow me to download the Blur Framework (an "application" that other applications can communicate with, kinda like other libraries we can download right now), and once I have that then I would have the ability to download Blur Alarm Clock, Blur Home, Blur Widgets, Blur Email, Blur Social Networking, etc. Again, now I'm beginning to have clear separation of concerns with my phone's software in a way that doesn't force anything on anybody (well, it forces the manufacturers to NOT have to deal with major OS updates, just the lower-level stuff that they're good at) and it allows MUCH more freedom, flexibility, and faster turn-around time.

Seriously, when Microsoft releases a new update, whether we like it or not, it's available across all computers! I mean, when that crappy old Bing Toolbar came out, Dell users didn't have to wait an extra month over HP users, right? Likewise, when Dell released a new BIOS for their servers, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 got it at the same time, and neither really cared whether they had them or not! Additionally, when Dell released their new "Click here to have us troubleshoot your PC" software for only Dell users, again, it didn't matter which of the other things were installed, it was available and it just worked! (I used Microsoft/Windows here as an example but the same can be said about Linux as well although, maybe not Apple.)

I really wish we would get more into such a situation and from a technical standpoint, I think it would be possible, for the most part. There will clearly be some dependencies sometimes, so in those cases something should be done to keep us from getting into bad situations (rolling back an update should be pretty simple with Android's model even if we do get into a bad situation).

Will this happen? I think it will happen more than it happens now but I doubt we will get there because this requires a level of maturity that we really just don't see anymore in technology because everybody is always racing ahead with only a mostly-finished product and is never finishing it because they're afraid of being left behind.

It's not clear from your post, whether or not you're rooted. The reason I raise the point is that most of the OTA updates come from Motorola by way of Verizon. Motorola seems to be obsessed with wiping out the rooted phones, and their updates all seem to have the habit of un-rooting phones which the *owners* have patiently worked to set-up according to their own tastes. Accidental? I think not - Motorola revealed their true colors when they released the Droid X with a locked, encrypted bootloader, with a booby-trap built into it. Motorola is NOT a company you can trust, if you are part of the rooted community.

Verizon is less of a problem, other than their desire to remove the feature that allows certain Droid phones to use software tethering - they want to SELL you that feature, not have you do it on your own; but Motorola truly qualifies as "The Evil Empire". If you're rooted and running one or more of their phones, the only solution for rooted phone owners is to avoid their OTA updates like the plague. If you're rooted, you have access to custom roms, made by people we know - members of this forum - and their product will not screw with your phone like the OTA sent out by Motorola.

Installing a Motorola OTA on your rooted Droid is like inviting Jack The Ripper into your living room.

-Mike

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

It's not clear from your post, whether or not you're rooted. The reason I raise the point is that most of the OTA updates come from Motorola by way of Verizon. Motorola seems to be obsessed with wiping out the rooted phones, and their updates all seem to have the habit of un-rooting phones which the *owners* have patiently worked to set-up according to their own tastes. Accidental? I think not - Motorola revealed their true colors when they released the Droid X with a locked, encrypted bootloader, with a booby-trap built into it. Motorola is NOT a company you can trust, if you are part of the rooted community.

Verizon is less of a problem, other than their desire to remove the feature that allows certain Droid phones to use software tethering - they want to SELL you that feature, not have you do it on your own; but Motorola truly qualifies as "The Evil Empire". If you're rooted and running one or more of their phones, the only solution for rooted phone owners is to avoid their OTA updates like the plague. If you're rooted, you have access to custom roms, made by people we know - members of this forum - and their product will not screw with your phone like the OTA sent out by Motorola.

Installing a Motorola OTA on your rooted Droid is like inviting Jack The Ripper into your living room.

-Mike

Yeah, I'm rooted, I sbf, installed many many roms, etc. I know what you mean about Moto - been rooted since adb was our only option.

While Android is open source, their licensing for Google Experience is not. They could strong arm some into such a scheme themselves this way. However, some would willingly buy into such a model themselves because it puts the burden of software updates mostly on Google in a way that's pretty much free for the manufacturers. So there is heavy incentive for manufacturers too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

brubakes

Reaction score
My top end wish for the DRIOD (version whatever) would be to have a Sirius satellite radio receiver.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
My top end wish for the DRIOD (version whatever) would be to have a Sirius satellite radio receiver.

You can get Sirius on your Droid. It's a download from either the Market or the Sirius website - can't remember which. But it's not free. The app is free, but you gotta establish a monthly setup with Sirius, in order to use it.

-Mike

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

You can get Sirius on your Droid. It's a download from either the Market or the Sirius website - can't remember which. But it's not free. The app is free, but you gotta establish a monthly setup with Sirius, in order to use it.

-Mike

I think he means a physical receiver, not an app that treats it as internet radio. If he's looking for this, then he probably wants the music in very rural areas where there's no chance of getting a cell phone signal (LOTS of those places in the US).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously, when Microsoft releases a new update, whether we like it or not, it's available across all computers!
This isn't a good analogy IMO. Desktop computers have complete hardware abstraction. Mobile devices are more tightly tied to their hardware. I'm sure it will change as mobile devices become more powerful over time and their OS's mature.

porsche996

Reaction score
Then buy a Nexus S and quit *****ing about it...

I'm just saying, there IS an "option" out there in phone selection that will allow just this. It has it's own negatives, though (t-mobile only), so you'll have to deal with that if you want.

But hey, it's a choice that has to be made at some point based on your priorities in a cell phone. At the end of the day, you're paying money for the "blur" and other features you don't like and don't use... If you don't like it that badly, send your money somewhere else!