I was ripped off and I need your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

y0manda

Reaction score
Last month, I walked out to my truck to go to work and it was gone! My truck, trailer, and all my tools were ripped off. About two weeks ago my truck was found, completely stripped. My auto insurance said it is a total loss. I just sent in my receipts to my homeowners insurance along with an xls file to make it more simple and professional for the person handling my claim for my trailer and tools. I have not received any settlements as of yet. The reason I am posting this is because, I went to Home Depot today and saw a truck sporting a rapid hitch like I had. When I walked up closer I noticed scratches along the side of the adjustable part where it looked as though somebody cut the locking pin off (I had a locking pin). The pin that this car was using was a new bolt with washers and a nut. Even though I never engraved my name on the hitch, I know the condition of it and where the scratches were. This one matched up. I was on company time and couldn't wait around for the guy to come out, and follow him around, so I wrote down his license plate number. Would any of you here be able to do a license plate search for me. I would like to go to the guys house and see if my trailer or my knaack box is at his house. I thought about calling the police and giving them a lead but I thought It would be wise to do a preliminary investigation first. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help a victim.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Your best bet is to carefully and calmly explain to the police your situation, with his license plate number and all the receipts/proofs of purchases for the items that were stolen. A police investigation can match serial or lot numbers to corroborate your story, which can close your case very quickly.

Not only is it illegal for someone with appropriate access to search license plates for you like this, but seeing as how this is an internet forum, there's no evidence that you're looking for this information for the cause that you state. Not calling you a liar, just saying there's no fool-proof way to know you're looking for this info for the right reasons. Good luck getting your stuff back.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Just so you know, doing a license plate search without some active case or reported traffic stop can cause the agency that employees the person doing it to possibly lose their link into the NCIC system and ability to do plate look ups. There are audits done on the systems and illegal searches are not taken very lightly.

budlight4me

Reaction score
Does this post belong on this forum? Is a hacker being asked for help? Just wondering, no harm intended

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call police...
If your items are there they will collect them for you..

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
y0manda - I want to first of all say I'm sorry about your loss. I'm glad you did have proper insurance that was covered under your homeowners insurance. I also think it would be great if the license plate you took down leads the police to his house and you are able to recover everything, therefore avoiding the homeowners claim.

A couple of things though. If you have the wrong person and you do something stupid, you can get into a world of trouble, so can the person who looked up the plate number for you. I also have a family member in law enforcement and I know it's not taken lightly when looking up a plate illegally.

Since this is DF, and what is going on is on the surface a very legitimate thing, it's best the thread be closed down because of the hints of illegal activity could be hinted on here.

I wish you the best and hope you report back with the resolution. But, hope you understand why the thread had to be locked down.

Status
Not open for further replies.