I was forced to leave the Droid family this afternoon..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your switch, but I think you switched to a crappy network to prove a point and hopefully you'll be happy there (at least you'll be grandfathered so that's a plus, but the network sucks seriously haha)

At least this guy actually voted with his wallet, but from his post I can't quite understand why as it sounds like he'll probably save about $5 a month on Sprint to get unlimited data he doesn't need.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your switch, but I think you switched to a crappy network to prove a point and hopefully you'll be happy there (at least you'll be grandfathered so that's a plus, but the network sucks seriously haha)

At least this guy actually voted with his wallet, but from his post I can't quite understand why as it sounds like he'll probably save about $5 a month on Sprint to get unlimited data he doesn't need.

Yep definitely refreshing to see someone actually do something other than whine but like you said it may not have been the best thought out plan. But if he's happy who are we to judge haha.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That's odd....I know VZW will grandfather you if you renew a contract, so wouldn't branching off a family plan be the same? It should be in my book...

Sorry to hear it went down that way, but glad to hear you found yourself a provider that attends your needs. You're still Android crew so it's all good :) (even though we got a Verizon color theme going...lol)

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It amazes me how many people take it personal when someone decides to leave a service they use. As I said, it's too late to grab unlimited with VZW, but you have it with Sprint now, and will be grandfathered in. Not to mention, Sprint's prices are way better than VZW's. If Sprint is sufficient in your area, go with it. I would.

MonaCK

Reaction score
That's odd....I know VZW will grandfather you if you renew a contract, so wouldn't branching off a family plan be the same? It should be in my book...

In case others are reading this thread - yes - VZW will grandfather you in to your old contract - and in fact, will not make you extend your contract out for splitting off of a family plan. I know this, because I did this earlier this year when my ex and I split up, and there was no contract extension.

the OP poster assumed a lot - wanting to go for another carrier is all well and good, but the OP probably should have called to see what his options were instead of assuming...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It amazes me how many people take it personal when someone decides to leave a service they use. As I said, it's too late to grab unlimited with VZW, but you have it with Sprint now, and will be grandfathered in. Not to mention, Sprint's prices are way better than VZW's. If Sprint is sufficient in your area, go with it. I would.

You're missing the point. The OP stated they dont use a lot of data a month, and left just because they were pissed off about the tiered plans. It doesn't appear like he would be getting overages because of the plans or that the new plans would even affect him. It was just a hastily made decision without really thinking it through. And Sprint's prices are waaayyy better? how's that? if you get their unlimited everything plan it's 99.99/month, and if you want "4G" it's another $10/month. Couple that with the fact that if he doesn't use a lot of data, getting an unlimited plan is the same as getting a $30/month 2GB plan. He's probably saving $5/month at the expense of moving to a crappier network...

But again, if he's happy thats all that really matters.

xrp861

Reaction score
I also switched to Sprint because of the tierd data hut I was on prepaid and when I called to cancel the line the rep told me prepaids unlimited data isn't changing. I also asked why rusted keep that going and change post paid and the rep had nothing to say. Either way sprint is cheaper than Verizon and.coverage depends on area with any provider. Also big deal he doesn't use a lot of data its the fact that VZW is raping people with their new data plans and will lose a lot of customers do to it because let's face it would you rather pay 30 bux for 2gb or unlimited gb?

comk4ver

Reaction score
Agreed mona he should have ask/threaten verizon to see what his options were...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Not quite OFFICIAL yet as i still have my verizon plan for a few more days, but here's the story of how Verizon lost me as a customer.

Right now I'm on a family plan with my mom and brother. She recently insisted that i go get my own plan as soon as my contract is up. Well just last week Verizon started with they're tiered data plan which angers me; even though im not a huge tetherer or bandwidth hog, i feel it is absurd to charge the same amount for 2gb of data as you were for unlimited not to mention i cant be grandfathered in because i'm starting a whole new plan under my name. So my contract is not up until the 19th of July which forces me into tiered data if i stay with Verizon. This afternoon i decided take a trip to Sprint and check out this new EVO 3D. The gig of ram and dual core 1.2GHz processor had me sold and later that day i bit the bullet and got the phone. The $125 number transfer bonus was nice and waived activation for being a credit union member was nice too. So there you have it, this is a story of how Verizon and they're corporate greed lost my support. I am now part of the Sprint family and couldn't be happier.

The only thing keeping me from sprint is there terrible family plans. (for my)

Your only choices are 1500 minutes and 3000. And for someone who only uses about 500 total, theres no reason to be paying $150+ per month for minutes I would never use.

If Sprint gets a 1000 minute or 750 ill consider it.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I also switched to Sprint because of the tierd data hut I was on prepaid and when I called to cancel the line the rep told me prepaids unlimited data isn't changing. I also asked why rusted keep that going and change post paid and the rep had nothing to say. Either way sprint is cheaper than Verizon and.coverage depends on area with any provider. Also big deal he doesn't use a lot of data its the fact that VZW is raping people with their new data plans and will lose a lot of customers do to it because let's face it would you rather pay 30 bux for 2gb or unlimited gb?

Unlimited and thats what I am getting on Verizon. dancedroid
You still get unlimited data if your an existing customer. And that is pretty much everyone on this forum.

OP
silvasrt4

silvasrt4

Reaction score

You're missing the point. The OP stated they dont use a lot of data a month, and left just because they were pissed off about the tiered plans. It doesn't appear like he would be getting overages because of the plans or that the new plans would even affect him. It was just a hastily made decision without really thinking it through. And Sprint's prices are waaayyy better? how's that? if you get their unlimited everything plan it's 99.99/month, and if you want "4G" it's another $10/month. Couple that with the fact that if he doesn't use a lot of data, getting an unlimited plan is the same as getting a $30/month 2GB plan. He's probably saving $5/month at the expense of moving to a crappier network...

But again, if he's happy thats all that really matters.

I actually talked to the rep and she informed me that if i branch off of one plan and start another in my name, its as if i was never with them before so i would have to go tiered. I didnt make a huge stink about it because it makes sense to me and i already assumed thats the way it would be. I have good coverage with sprint and i like they're line up of phones; sure the coverage isn't as good as im use too but it will do.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

In case others are reading this thread - yes - VZW will grandfather you in to your old contract - and in fact, will not make you extend your contract out for splitting off of a family plan. I know this, because I did this earlier this year when my ex and I split up, and there was no contract extension.

the OP poster assumed a lot - wanting to go for another carrier is all well and good, but the OP probably should have called to see what his options were instead of assuming...

Yeah cause when I was going to branch off they said I would continue my current plan but as the primary owner. I could've modified the plan however I wanted with less minutes or text, but in the end could not branch off.

I don't think VZW offered the OP unlimited if he were to branch off because of a change in policy with data plans. I haven't reviewed the new plans or policies, but this is what I'm assuming (which I shouldn't, but lazy to do research)

Besides, OP is happy with their switch, so good for them. Who are we to judge? At least they're still going to be part of the Android family and that's what this forum is about, not what network you're on.