I want to upgrade to 2.1. Do I root or wait for Verizon?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Highflyin128, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Highflyin128

Highflyin128 Guest

I want to upgrade to 2.1. Do I root or wait for Verizon? Whats the best room to use?

I want to upgrade to 2.1. Do I root or wait for Verizon?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  2. phenley

phenley New Member

if you root and get a custom ROM it will likely be better than what 2.1 has to offer anyways... I was actually thinking the exact same thing as you, and decided just to give it a go, and I am SOOOO glad I did it.
  3. Highflyin128

Highflyin128 Guest

Which guide did u follow and what rom do u recommend?
  4. phenley

phenley New Member

to get rooted I used:

Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid

to install SPRecovery (don't be scared if you don't know what this is, I had NO idea either until I just did some reading. It basically just allows you to create a backup post root, and restore if anything happens):

Custom Recovery Image - Complete Noob Friendly Guide

and to install themed ROM (I prefer Smoked Glass Themed ROM):

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/17714-themed-rom-smoked-glass-w-white-clock.html

This whole process was surprisingly easy for me, even with absolutely no prior experience, but I definitely did do some reading before I tried it all. But if you follow all the directions EXACTLY you should be fine. But if you feel really uncomfortable with the process, you can ask me questions, and I'll answer what I know, but otherwise just read around. The link for the ROM has a good forum and discussion as well.
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
  6. Highflyin128

Highflyin128 Guest

Thanks for the info. I was a solid user of windows mobile phones and thought I'd try something new..I've only had my Droid for 3 days and I don't wanna brick it

.I take it once I do this I'll have reset up my phone as in reinstall all my apps, contacts and all that jazz?
  7. phenley

phenley New Member

No you shouldn't have to do any of those, at least with Smoked Glass
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    If you do the update with update.zip and NOT the nandroid backup file, then no you won't. I rooted and installed Bugless Beast without losing a single thing.
  9. mach330

mach330 New Member

just upgrade. looks like 2.1 will never come. :icon_evil:
  10. Larkitect

Larkitect New Member

root. the only thing i miss from the 2.1 roms on my 2.0.1 is live wallpapers. and that's only to show off to my iphone friends. back in december, i was wanting the official 2.1 but now we've got overclocking, tethering… i'm not missing an official 2.1 anymore.
  11. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

There hasn't been any actual bricked devices yet... a few people have blown their wads and posted such WAY to early but so far they've all been recovered. You're not really screwing with the phone like you were on WM (i.e. with SPLs hacks)... you kind of are but not in such a dangerous way. If you have experience with all that from WM this will be CAKE for you.

^+1 This def... you're better off running a good cooked ROM now and waiting until after 2.1OTA gets pushed, and debugged, and optimized before you go to it. Just like with WM the stock ROMs for Android are very plain and meant for just pure stability and overall broad-range appeal. Generally speaking the cooked ROMs will be better.

Plus you can OverClock:icon_ banana::icon_ banana: and the phone REALLY flies at 800Mhz.
  12. phenley

phenley New Member

exactly my thoughts
  13. Guchi

Guchi New Member

KziWarrior said it all +1
  14. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

any of yall live in virginia beach as I'll pay you to hook mine up?
  15. phenley

phenley New Member

If you just check out the links posted it's actually pretty difficult to mess up. Just do some reading, and give it a go. They break it down literally step by step. I was nervous about doing it too, but it was shockingly easy if you just take your time.
  16. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Guchi you changed your avatar?? what gives, I REALLY liked the old better:icon_ banana:
  17. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

yea phenly, I just read how to root steps, seemed almost exactly how I manuallY updated the last,2.0.1 update so Id feel confident with doing that. then I started reading the next step, the one where its the steps for on case of recovery...then I decided I prob shouldn't mess with it..
  18. phenley

phenley New Member

Haha yeah definitely understand that. If you really have doubts about being able to handle, or generally just uncomfortable with the process you should prob stay away from it. I was the same way but eventually just got fed up with certain stock things, and then saw these custom roms and had to go for it. Its definitely worth it, but only if you are willing to take some unlikely but possible risks. If you can get to the SPRecovery part though the risks become even less, and the benefits even more