I want to root only for the 3G

Bivie

Reaction score
I want to root only for the 3G wireless option. I don't know that much or have enough time to study up on the other stuff (rom's and theme's)now but I was wondering after you root will everything look the same or do i have to deal with the other now also.

GTvert90

Reaction score
It will look the same. you will have another app in the app drawer called superuser permissions tho.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Root itself doesn't change anything except permissions. It changes what you can do with the phone. ONLY reason not to root is warranty. I'm insured anyways, and I'm far more likely to break it than brick it.

OP
B

Bivie

Reaction score
Thanks

So after I root what do i need to do to use the 3G? And is there any apps that I should install to be safe. I have read people mentioning bootstrap? And do i need to do anything with superuser?

hyperlite

Reaction score
Thanks

So after I root what do i need to do to use the 3G? And is there any apps that I should install to be safe. I have read people mentioning bootstrap? And do i need to do anything with superuser?

What exactly are you talking about? Are you looking for Wireless tether? If so, after you root, download "Barnacle Wifi" from the market. It's pretty straightforward. You don't need any other apps if this is all you want.

OP
B

Bivie

Reaction score
Sorry,

I was just looking for a little help and guidance. I wasn't sure of the terminology. I want to use my Droid X as wireless modem so i can use my i pod touch and lap top and such.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Barnacle or Wireless Tether will do that for you. I use the latter myself and it works great! Bootstrap is for rooted phones with locked bootloaders wanting to flash ROMs, etc on their devices. Mine doesn't need one so I'm not very familiar with all of the details about it. Btw, don't take anything the wrong way here with responses, feel free to ask ANY question you have, we're here to help! :dancedroid:

Sorry,

I was just looking for a little help and guidance. I wasn't sure of the terminology. I want to use my Droid X as wireless modem so i can use my i pod touch and lap top and such.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP
B

Bivie

Reaction score
Thanks,

I will give it a try.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
I did one click root for Droid X. I had Wireless Tether for Root users from my old Droid. I only ever use it if the cable is out for some reason. Verizon isn't very fast around here.

[How To] One-Click Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA] - Android Forums

Nothing wrong with Terminal Emulator method, that's what I used on both my wifes and my Droid 1. It's good to get familiar with running commands in terminal.

chart
That barcode will download Wireless tether 2.02. Just open up barcode scanner app and snap a pic of it with your phone. You can download it before or after you root, but it won't work until you're rooted.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As others said, rooting doesn't mean you have to deal with ROMs and themes.

You can root, and your device will look exactly the same, you'll just have superuser permissions, which will allow you to tether... :)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Root just gives you access to locked out features of the OS like wifi tether. You do not need to flash roms to have root.

musicman

Reaction score
Sorry to piggy back here but I am wanting to do the same thing. What is the safest way to get super user privileges?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App