I want to overclock my stock 2.1 Droid, someone please help.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gabdroid, May 14, 2010.

1. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

Hey guys,

I'm Dec not tech savvy by any means,but I've tried 2 ways to root my phone and failed both times. First thing was I was stupidly doing the update.zip to get 2.1 then I realized my Droid came with the 2.1 update. So the file I downloaded and tried to load failed lol. Second thing I did was I think what is sticky at the top in this forum,somehow I ended up deleting everything in my Droid and had to take it back to Verizon to get reactivated lol. I felt pretty stupid but I'm just glad I didn't brick it! The update.zip instructions were so easy but I think I need to download something called nandroid,plus 10 other steps I'm not familiar with. Please can someone help me with simple terms? All I want to accomplish is overclocking my Droid to 900mhz. Thanks in advance!
  2. pcarcr

pcarcr New Member

3. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

4. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

Hey mbk, I did the videos, video ones was perfect, no problems, then I did video 2 and I thought everything was good, but nope... reset my phone again, only this time i didnt need to reactivate it , just needed to load my google info, so my phone has the recovery file on it, but no update.zip, I downloaded update.zip and tried to install it but my phone said it couldnt be installed or it failed,something of that nature, I'm getting really frusterated, any idea what im doing wrong?
    Copied and pasted the update.zip into the sd card (not in a file in there), it showed it on my phone to install, it just didnt work :/ Im like so close to finishing, but hitting a road block!
  5. Mbk

So you renamed it to 'Update' (make sure it didin't end up being named update.zip.zip) and placed it in the root of the sdcard (not in any folder)? ... and wiped data and cache?
  6. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

yeah its "Update.zip" checkmark on data and cache. I so dont know what im doing wrong...
  7. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

When you booted into recovery, wiped data, hit accept update.zip and then installed the update.zip what did it say?
  8. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

does it make a difference that its a winzip file? on the video, the guys update.zip looks like a stack of books or something, the image on mine is some yellow winzip thing, i had to d/l some kind of unzipping program in order to open the rsd lite..
  9. Mbk

try redownloading the ESE81update.zip
    file and if it shows the file extension on your PC rename it to update.zip, but if doesn't show the file extension on the PC rename it to simply update.

Other than that I'm not sure what's up.
  10. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

Ok im about to do it again, ill let yall know what happened and what it tells me
  11. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

So while I'm waiting, what was the point of installing the 32 bit drive? On the written part,it says to download and install to pc, but in the video,the guy says "Install the drive onto your phone", which is pretty different I would think. Sorry I'm a huge noob when it comes to this stuff,real bad.
  12. Mbk

It says to install the USB 'drivers' onto your PC so that it can see the Droid when connected.... 32-bit if you have a 32-bit system and 64-bit driver if you have a 64-bit system... it never states to install the driver onto your phone.....
    Moot point anyways since you got SPRecovery installed....
  13. xxlostsurferx16

xxlostsurferx16 New Member

Agreed. Make sure you dont name it update.zip.zip it seems to be a common problem among people.
  14. Mbk

I just viewed the vid and you're right, he does mistakingly say to make sure you have the correct drivers installed on your 'phone'... that was just a verbal slip, because the drivers are for your PC.
  15. pdroid

pdroid New Member

By the way, you don't need to install a custom ROM if you don't want to. All you need to do is flash a new kernel and install SetCPU and you're good to go.
  16. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

Failed again.

"Install from sdcard"
    "Finding update package"
    "Opening update package"
    "Verifying update package"
    "E:Cant open /sdcard/update.zip"
    "(no such file or directory)"
    "Installation aborted"
  17. Mbk

Yeah, I guess some prefer to keep the stock 2.1 w/root access and OC... I kinda wanted to try the custom Roms, BB 1.0 currently.
  18. Mbk

So obviously you either do not have it in the root of the SD card...or... you do not have it named correctly.
  19. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

If you are positive it is on the root of your sd card I would take the .zip extension off and just remane it 'update' and try again. I know my computer puts the extension on there.
  20. gabdroid

gabdroid New Member

The update.zip is not in any folder,its just on the card, just like in the video.. I guess I'll do "update", but its def not saying "update.zip.zip". Is the update file im downloading off of that thread still good?