I want to learn!

Stolas

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank everyone for all the information that I have been able to find, and for the hard work they had to put into it.

I am not new to computers, as i would say this phone definitely qualifies as that, but i am new to it being able to fit in my pocket :motdroidhoriz:. I understand that "root" unlocks the phone for a lot of purposes. But what i do not understand is how to get there.

What i am looking for is a new look, more functions, etc., not overclocking or any of that.

Another problem is that most of my computer knowledge lies in windows and hardware, my Linux language is for the lack of a better term non existent, (i think i hold a record on failed Hacintosh's :icon_evil:).

If anyone can point me in the right direction where to start i would greatly appreciate it ty!:biggrin:

And if any body could tell me the pros and cons of root that would be good too.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forum. I would recommend that you start in our hacking section. We have several links there that can step you through rooting your phone.

Benefits is that it opens up your phone to do many more things then you could do with a standard Droid. Downside is it will void your warranty.

Do a lot of reading in the hacking section so you have a good understanding of what it is you're going to do. Again look at the stickies, specially the one that says "This is Rooting-Stop Asking." Kind of rude I know but it will explain it all to you.

Good luck. :)

OP
Stolas

Stolas

Reaction score
I found it thanks! I guess I am trying to decide what to do. I have the OTA 2.1 update from what I can read is making the process more of a pain in the rear, i just want to be able to theme the phone make it black and red remove some programs etc., change fonts.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I found it thanks! I guess I am trying to decide what to do. I have the OTA 2.1 update from what I can read is making the process more of a pain in the rear, i just want to be able to theme the phone make it black and red remove some programs etc., change fonts.

As those above have said, take your time and read. There are automatic tools and there are manual paths you can take. If you really want to learn more I'd say take the manual paths. Various roms are out there, some themed with colors to get you started. The first link in my signature shows the manual steps to install one rom, the 2nd link shows the steps to install another after you are rooted. Each rom has its own steps. By the time you read through 3-4 guides and review the screenshots you'll be ready to decide which one...or decide maybe to not even root at all. Some have tried it and gone back, others say they won't ever go back to stock. Good luck!

OP
Stolas

Stolas

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that pointed me in the right direction! I am now rooted! And i am using Redrumchaos 1.0. Thank you again to everyone.