1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I want to flash UD 2.5 but dont want to lose my sms and mms

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by hrhaven, Jan 25, 2011.

1. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

How can I avoid losing my MMS and SMS messages? Last time I flashed I lost them all. I have titanium backup, will a full backup allow them all to be restored?

Also, I haven't flashed a rom in quite a while. I plan to use Titanium backup, back up everything. Then make a nandroid backup, then wipe cache and reset. Then install the new update.zip. That is the process right? after that I redownload Titanium backup, run, and wait for the apps to restore right?
  2. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

SMS back up in the market is your remedy
  3. atcjeff

atcjeff New Member

SMS backup does work great for just backing up your SMS messages. As for the flashing a new rom and wiping data and using TI backup, check out this post by GirLuvsDroid. I use this method all the time now and works fantastic.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ac...an-install-restore-using-titanium-backup.html
    This will also restore your text messages to what you had when you last backed them up using TI backup. It is also well worth it to get the paid version of TI Backup! Works much better than letting Google restore your apps.
  4. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

Thanks Jeff, I actually DID get the paid version of TIBU.

I'm looking at my droid now though and see I only have 57mb of internal space and it looks like the UD2.5 zip file is 85MB. I don't know where I can free up more room. I've moved most apps to the SD card. Any help with this anyone? Or is the actual file I'm supposed to transfer and rename update.zip much smaller?
  5. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

First off if you have everything backed up with tibu then you can delete anything you want to make more room...however, that download will end up on your sdcard so the amount of internal storage really wont matter...

Also, if you are using clockworkmod recovery you don't need to rename anything. While in recovery simply select "install zip from SD card"
  6. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

Ahh....yes. You are right. I forgot that it goes to the SDcard. Am I renaming the current install.zip file in my droids root something else prior to install? Also, I don't use clockworkmod, I just use windows explorer. to transfer the files and rename.
  7. atcjeff

atcjeff New Member

Clockwork recovery is on your phone, not your pc. Their are 2 recovery programs that the OG droid uses, clockwork or SPRecovery. If you are using clockwork then you don't have to rename the zip file, just make sure it is on the root dir of ur sd card. When you are in the recovery menu, instead of selecting " "apply update.zip" scroll down and select "install sdcard update.zip", then select the option to choose the zip you want to install. It will then list all your zip files on your sd card. Find the file you downloaded and select it. Then follow the rest of steps outlined in my earlier post

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

8. atcjeff

atcjeff New Member

If your not using clockwork recovery then you have to rename the file update.zip. you can do it through windows or using andro file explorer or root explorer on your phone

9. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

I am using SPRecovry.

So I downloaded the UD 2.5 zip file from page one for the original moto droid. Did a TIBU backup, backed up SMS and MMS as well as call log. I renamed the .zip file update.zip and put it on the SD card. Using SPRecovery I cleared cashe and did a reset. then went to install and tried install/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated). It says:
    finding update package
    opening update package
    verifying update package
    e: update.zip install blocked
    installation aborted.

what am I doing wrong?
  10. hrhaven

hrhaven New Member

I forgot to click allow. So all set I think. rebooting...fingers crossed.
  11. swizzcheez

swizzcheez New Member

I installed in in the "download" folder on my SD card and just used SP Recovery to manually install it with out wiping and haven't had any problems. I went from 2.3 to 2.5. FYI
  12. iggbastic

iggbastic New Member

Get the sms backup app...

Search tags for this page

how to backup text messages flash new rom

ud lose mean in a text message

will i loose my sms messages if i flash new rom android