I want/need to go back.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Droid 2, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Droid 2

Droid 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Droid Bionic, I want to go back to a unrooted Bionic, not to factory settings. I want to keep what I have on my phone. My reason is for updates and before I deploy (Army) I want to upgrade my phone. I am not a phone guru, so I will need step by step directions, I used the software from TweakMyDevice from YouTube. Also, I have heard of ICS and other versions, any suggestions on which one to run? I don't game a lot, I just want a faster phone with better battery life. If I end up keeping my phone and want to get rid of the bloatware, what software do you recommend? Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks for the help.
  2. Droid 2

Droid 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    303 views, and no help yet?
  3. MrCatPC

MrCatPC Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If I understand your question, you want to "un-root" your Droid Bionic while not disturbing the contents, apps, settings, etc., right?

The goal being a "clean" Bionic before you make a decision to finally erase your data at the point of upgrading/replacing your Bionic later, just removing the evidence your device had ever been rooted before, right?

If not, correct me, and maybe someone can get us on the right path...

I can't speak for any experience with Droid Bionic in particular, but here's something, I hope: The last over-the-air (OTA) update from Verizon initially locked us Droid2/Droid2Global/DroidR2D2 users *out* of root after upgrading us to 621/622 versions of the software because the OTA update included a new bootloader. I want to say it was those folks who were persistent about rooting Bionic that lead to similar processes rooting around the new bootloader for Droid2 Series phones. Something about a boot logo exploit (way above my paygrade & not important to this discussion). The stock 622 SBF file, flashed over any of our D2-series phones which already have the 622 software, basically destroys the root access again. Therefore, I'd guess that there's an SBF file out there somewhere to help you make your phone stock/clean again. Here's why (and certainly I could be so wrong):

When I ran the OTA upgrade from Verizon, it wiped out my root access going from version 602 to version 622 of the operating system. I was rooted in 602 and suddenly I wasn't anymore after 622 was applied. Now, since then I participated in the experiment to root Motorola model A957 (the R2-D2 edition Droid2) with a bootable CD including a reflashing utility for version 622 and a step-by-step root process. What happens is that using the option to reflash 622 results in *stock* operating system without erasing any data or personal settings. Albeit any root-dependent apps then fail to operate because SuperUser and BusyBox from the root side are nullified by the flash process.

So what I'm rambling at here is that maybe with 300+ views on this thread, perhaps a Bionic owner can verify whether RSDLite and an SBF image for Bionic will effectively un-root without erasing data?
  4. Droid 2

Droid 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A far as I go, yes, you are correct. I un rooted my phone, but did not know I would need to put everything back. I still need to put everything back. I still have superuser and root explorer on my phone. I need help getting the stuff back to where it belongs.