I want my old market back!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by Bdog, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Bdog

Bdog New Member

What is this crap! I bought an ANDROID phone, not a Windows phone!

I can't keep my old market. I uninstall updates, yet every time I open my market up, it updates itself back to the stupid Windows look. How do I make it stop?!?!?!
  2. militant

militant New Member

It may look similar to a windows phone, but I seriously suggest giving it a try. It looks and functions A LOT better than the old one. And while you can disagree on the looks part as that is subjective, you're the first person I've met that's hell bent on resisting that change. You can't argue the fact that it's more feature laden and intuitive though.
  3. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Yeah whether you like it or not you don't have a choice. It's actually better though.
  4. Bdog

Bdog New Member

Doesn't seem better from what I've seen. I can't say that I gave it a shot, but only because I had no choice but to you use it, and it was slow as hell. Real laggy and bogged down, much like any other Google product I've seen lately.

The "Just In" tab is gone, so all I can browse is whatever's popular, which more often than not is not a good thing.

The interface is just downright ugly, not uniform, and childish looking. Like a diner menu that assumes its customers are too stupid or drunk to order something without a picture of it.

The comments and review are completely out of whack, making it impossible to tell whether or not an app's current version is worth a damn or not.

Then there's the ads. I don't use my little bitty phone to watch or rent movies. I have a TV. I don't need to buy books, otherwise I'd have a Kindle, or better yet, real books. These ads are larger than anything else in the market. I don't know, probably to help add to the number of accidental clicks they already get (because I can only HOPE people aren't deliberately clicking these things).

It's ugly, it's slow, it's stupid, and it's demeaning. With the exception of you two, I haven't seen a good word about this new market.
  5. rustyhinges

rustyhinges New Member

You opinion only alert: I felt that the old market was more user friendly. It didn't require scrolling up and down a large single page. Having said that, I'm not losing any sleep over the change.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. captain howdy

captain howdy New Member

I also like the old market much better.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  7. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

New market is faster and doesnt lag my X when i'm doing several updates at a time, but the layout is extremely counter-intuitive unless you're doing a bunch of book/movie downloads while looking for apps.
  8. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

I'm a fan of the new look.

"Just In" is there but split up into "Top New Paid" and "Top New Free". Just hit apps from the first screen and navigate to the right a few times. I'm more likely to try something new that's free so I'm a fan of that split.

Comments have been in order of latest for me, but I know some people were seeing random comment orders.

I definitely agree about the books and movies taking up far too much space for a market on a phone. I will admit I looked through the movies list a bit only to see what they were charging and to look for new movies to add to my Netflix queue. haha

I find nothing demeaning about it as it has actually split things up nicer for my uses as mentioned above. Mine has also been faster than the old market.
  9. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

I will admit that the movies and books can be a little annoying but overall I still like it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

You would have to flash to a rom that still haves the old market in it.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!
  11. Bdog

Bdog New Member

A shame.

Did my first search, as oppose to browse... Why is this thing preferred? Two app results, then movies or books that aren't even related... Luckily theapp I searched was the first one.

Guess I'm stuck having to uninstall updates every time I need in the market. Sigh, Google has been so disappointing lately
  12. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

If you go into the apps tab then search it only brings up apps. I think the main page is cluttered, wish we could just have the "my apps" portion with the old market main page.

end of line...
  13. Bdog

Bdog New Member

What's the point of the home page if you can't make proper searches from it? Google is trying too hard to get their ads in, not giving a flying flock how much it inconveniences their customers
  14. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

Think of search from the home screen as a "global" search. It will give the top two items of that search in Apps, Books, and Movies. From here if your app isn't in the top two, press the title bar that says "Android Apps" and you'll get the full search results for just apps. Same goes for the Books and Movies title bar. Or as someone else mentioned, click on Apps first, then search.

You're hell bent on hating this aren't you? One extra "click" is that big of an inconvenience to you, which most of the time you won't even have to do?

Should people who do want to search for movies or books be forced to go into that tab to search, just so they don't have to see a whole bunch of crap apps when they search for a movie? Yes you only search for apps, but you're not everybody.

What I do agree with you on is that if you want to keep the old market, you should be able to uninstall the updates and have it stay that way.
  15. 1611kjb

1611kjb New Member

As far as the New market goes, it is what it is. I don't like it and I imagine shortly it will change because few users do - it's just advertising and marketing garbage and not a useful tool. People will abandon it soon, just need someone to write a better app. However, while we wait. I need answers to three questions. The first is really dumb, but I can't find an answer anywhere. When you "search" in market, you get something that says "252" results. The screen shows the first 10. How do you get to the following pages? You can't flick, scroll or page up or down - how do you see the rest of the apps? Question #2: is there a way to filter the sort of search you want? Like many other users, I don't use Market to find books and movies, I use it to find Apps. How do you, or can you, set up a filter to only show apps? I notice there are little icons that appear on the right showing whether it is an app or from a more "worldly" population (I assume that's why it has the globe", but I can't find the setting to limit it's search range. Question #3, last question, is there a way to do exact match and/or wildcard searches? I was trying to find the Amazon.com App Store and I get hundreds of results that don't have those three words in them, so I know it isn't doing an exact match by default. Because of question #1, I can't even seem to page through the results to find the app because I can't get past the first page.
  16. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

I'm assuming you're searching from the homescreen right? Well this results in showing me the top 2 results from Apps, Books, and Movies. The title bar that says "Apps > 525 results", you can press that to look at a list of results that is just Apps.

If you'd rather not go it that way, then from the homescreen, pick the Apps tile first, then search.

Both of these will get you a scrollable list of just apps based on your search and when you scroll to the bottom, it will load more results.
  17. awriternot

awriternot New Member

I'm having the same issue with searches....I've changed my filter settings & I search from apps, not the home screen. I will get 500 results but can only see 5 or so. It does not load more when I scroll down. It's frustrating! Some of the apps wont even pull up.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  18. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

That's strange because I haven't had any issues with the new market. I'm sorry others are having issues.

When you say you've changed your filter settings, do you mean from the Settings menu? Maybe it's because you don't have something checked that needs to be to see more results?
  19. gottcha

gottcha New Member

I am also sick of the new slow clumsy market. It is by no way an upgrade.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  20. Sparkimus

Sparkimus New Member

The latest market update (3.1.something) is actually running much better for me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

how do i get my android market back

how do i get my original android market back

i want the old android market back