I touched one.

Reaction score
I think its a little nuts to go out of your way for about an hour each way to touch the phone... I almost jumped ship and went for the Rezound because I saw they circumvented the Bootloader. I think the Gnex is the most future proof device of the three and thats why I am going with this one. I would honestly prefer the D4 or the RAZR to have an unlocker BL and i would slobber all over that.

???

Reaction score
Everyone has their own desires and mine is a smooth as silk interface. "Deal-Breaking" is in the eye of the beholder.

And yes, I'm getting beat up by the fanbois who don't even know what they are getting. Could be great or a POS. All I know is when stuff goes wrong its annoying and takes away from the experience. As I've said on this many times. The device is to make my life easier, not something to entertain myself with or show off to others. If I have constantly play with the thing to make it right then it's a POS in my opinion.

You guys are acting like an Apple board on roids. God forbid someone says something wrong about your precious nexus you haven't even used.

once you start talking about things like taking away from the experience. it sets off bells for me that you aren't in the right os anyways. you very well might be an apple guy.(there's nothing wrong with that) where the rest of us care nothing about this, and know that if we do, once the dev's get on this, how fast if flips screen will probably just end up being how fast you want it to flip based on ms in a setting. i've heard already that some of them have the home screen flipping when it doesn't stock. all these will be be opened up, just like screen auto brightness settings got added to the D1. which was great for me, since it would never get dark enough stock, so i had to run brightness apps, to knock it down lower at night. after that i didn't..

i for one have the screen flip mine locked out on my d1 so it only flips when i open my keyboard. because i hate going to do something, and i tilt it and it flips when i didn't want it too.. so a delay might juse be something they wanted to do in the settings, as a buffer to keep you from doing it when you don't want too.

???

Reaction score
i for one like hearing how light it feels, it might feel fake at first compared to my d1 but i'm pretty sure i'm going to get an extended batter for it, just like i have for my d1 to make it thru the day. me being a hard user and no where near a charger at work. so once a nice bigger batter comes out, it should add a nice weight to the phone. i just hope its not a hump back type like my D1's and more like the old eris one was that took up the whole back and just made the whole phone thicker.

it would also be nice if 2 stock batteries would last me all day, but at only 1850, and 4g. i don't see that happening.

jcardona1

Reaction score
so why does this article show Kick Ass!!! photos coming from the Galaxy Nexus, for you non-techies who have no clue how to use a camera "get to know":angry: the cameras software first than do a write up. link below 71 pictures taken.

Galaxy Nexus sample shots - Engadget Galleries

Those REALLY are some good photos. Nice and sharp, good color. Makes you wonder WTF happened during Gizmodo's review :blink:

pilot25

Reaction score
once you start talking about things like taking away from the experience. it sets off bells for me that you aren't in the right os anyways. you very well might be an apple guy.(there's nothing wrong with that) where the rest of us care nothing about this, and know that if we do, once the dev's get on this, how fast if flips screen will probably just end up being how fast you want it to flip based on ms in a setting. i've heard already that some of them have the home screen flipping when it doesn't stock. all these will be be opened up, just like screen auto brightness settings got added to the D1. which was great for me, since it would never get dark enough stock, so i had to run brightness apps, to knock it down lower at night. after that i didn't..

i for one have the screen flip mine locked out on my d1 so it only flips when i open my keyboard. because i hate going to do something, and i tilt it and it flips when i didn't want it too.. so a delay might juse be something they wanted to do in the settings, as a buffer to keep you from doing it when you don't want too.

I don't really get the apple vs. android deal. I just want the best device. I have Macs and PCs so I'm not biased either way. The google maps nav is what is pulling me to android. It's a awesome free app not available on iphone. I like gmail and google calendar but I'm not married to it now that there is icloud. google music vs. itunes - getting pretty similar. The longer these devices evolve the more they are going to be alike. You can see the things apple has taken from google and vice-versa on these devices in the last 2 years. therefore I don't really care whos logo is on the thing I just want the best one that is going to make things easier for me.

Rooting or jailbreaking seem like fascinating fun that I have zero time for so I need a great device out of the box. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

???

Reaction score
I don't really get the apple vs. android deal. I just want the best device. I have Macs and PCs so I'm not biased either way. The google maps nav is what is pulling me to android. It's a awesome free app not available on iphone. I like gmail and google calendar but I'm not married to it now that there is icloud. google music vs. itunes - getting pretty similar. The longer these devices evolve the more they are going to be alike. You can see the things apple has taken from google and vice-versa on these devices in the last 2 years. therefore I don't really care whos logo is on the thing I just want the best one that is going to make things easier for me.

Rooting or jailbreaking seem like fascinating fun that I have zero time for so I need a great device out of the box. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.

again, not wanting to waste your time rooting your phone, sets off bells in my head that if you were one of my friends asking me which phone to buy, i would say get a iphone(which i have done) and a gps for your car. its not an apple vs android thing i'm talking about. both just happen to do different things better. and other things worse, and i'm only judging by 2 replys over the interweb but if you care about little things like how long it takes to flip screens but not enough and don't care about the dev side, flashing roms, rooting and just over all playing with your phone enough to fix what you don't like about your phone, like the msec setting for changing landscape. then you will be missing out on the up side of android, and dealing with what for you is a down side. it just doesn't make sense to me for you to deal with it. for people like me, little things like laggy, i couldn't care less about, but i love rooting and all that comes with it, and flashing different roms, from different dev. its like this, i have maybe 4 paid apps, and most of those are backup and restore apps that making flashing roms easier. but no games, no other crap. but i would guess that i've donated over 100$ over the last 2 years thru paypal to different people involved with android. so for someone to say they don't care about rooting and all that waste of time stuff, just blows me away that you would even be posting on a forum like this about a phone in the first place.

i just get the feeling you will not use what really makes the rest of us love android. not only do we not feel rooting is a waste of time, we enjoy it, some might even call it a hobby. something that definitely does not feel like a waste of time. you just have different priorities then most of use here.. and i say here cause god only knows what the so called normal people use to pick what phone to buy. i just go with they are sheep that buy into ads and pressure from sales guys bsing them at whatever store they happen to walk into when they happen to be due for a new phone.

???

Reaction score
Those REALLY are some good photos. Nice and sharp, good color. Makes you wonder WTF happened during Gizmodo's review :blink:

thats why the camera really doesn't matter. its better than my d1. and i've learned to take pretty good pics with it. some people will research and learn about iso, shutter speed and stuff. others wont. so while one person can get great shots with a point and shoot, the other can have high end dlsr and not be anything great.

the camera will be fine. you just have to know that low indoor light, the exposure will be longer, and blur movement. take your time, take a few different test shoots, learn all the settings. and then when you want to get a good pic, you will be one step up on getting it right the first time.

if you never waste your time playing with your camera to learn it, then just pull it out of your pocket, point and click. you will most likely get a worse pic than the guy that knows what to expect from trail and error. if all these feels like to much trouble, then maybe its time to check out the other side's phone. it has a good camera.. most likely, 2 people that have never taken a picture before, will get a better pic out the 4s than the nexus in anything but outdoor sunlight still shots. but people that know, can probability get about the same out of both.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
To the OP, I hadn't read anything about this and sry if it has been answered. Do you know if the cases about the external speaker volume being underpowered is correct I have read atleast 6 reviews about it that they put it on the cons list and yet just read another review so it seems to be a problem. Any idea how true this all is and your thoughts about it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Nubbie

Nubbie

Reaction score
To the OP, I hadn't read anything about this and sry if it has been answered. Do you know if the cases about the external speaker volume being underpowered is correct I have read atleast 6 reviews about it that they put it on the cons list and yet just read another review so it seems to be a problem. Any idea how true this all is and your thoughts about it?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Have no idea. Wasn't able to work with sounds.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
again, not wanting to waste your time rooting your phone, sets off bells in my head that if you were one of my friends asking me which phone to buy, i would say get a iphone(which i have done) and a gps for your car. its not an apple vs android thing i'm talking about. both just happen to do different things better. and other things worse, and i'm only judging by 2 replys over the interweb but if you care about little things like how long it takes to flip screens but not enough and don't care about the dev side, flashing roms, rooting and just over all playing with your phone enough to fix what you don't like about your phone, like the msec setting for changing landscape. then you will be missing out on the up side of android, and dealing with what for you is a down side. it just doesn't make sense to me for you to deal with it. for people like me, little things like laggy, i couldn't care less about, but i love rooting and all that comes with it, and flashing different roms, from different dev. its like this, i have maybe 4 paid apps, and most of those are backup and restore apps that making flashing roms easier. but no games, no other crap. but i would guess that i've donated over 100$ over the last 2 years thru paypal to different people involved with android. so for someone to say they don't care about rooting and all that waste of time stuff, just blows me away that you would even be posting on a forum like this about a phone in the first place.

i just get the feeling you will not use what really makes the rest of us love android. not only do we not feel rooting is a waste of time, we enjoy it, some might even call it a hobby. something that definitely does not feel like a waste of time. you just have different priorities then most of use here.. and i say here cause god only knows what the so called normal people use to pick what phone to buy. i just go with they are sheep that buy into ads and pressure from sales guys bsing them at whatever store they happen to walk into when they happen to be due for a new phone.

So you're saying that anyone who doesn't want to root their Android phone should get an iphone. That is just a ridiculous statement. Your statements make it sound like you think that you are superior to people who don't root their Android phones or own an iphone. I would think that far less than 50% of Android phone users even think of rooting their phones and I would expect that many of those are far more intelligent than you are. Perhaps they consider their phone a tool to use for actual productive work and not a toy.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just can't believe that someone would complain about a 1 or 2 second delay on rotation. Unless you are spinning this thing around all day, just what is the significance of waiting a second or 2. Personally, I would prefer the slight delay so that it is not always flipping back and forth if I hold it near horizontal for a second of turn it slightly like it does on my Droid.

My Touchpad takes 1 -2 seconds to turn when rotated, and it's annoying; just saying.

pyro6128

Reaction score
So you're saying that anyone who doesn't want to root their Android phone should get an iphone. That is just a ridiculous statement. Your statements make it sound like you think that you are superior to people who don't root their Android phones or own an iphone. I would think that far less than 50% of Android phone users even think of rooting their phones and I would expect that many of those are far more intelligent than you are. Perhaps they consider their phone a tool to use for actual productive work and not a toy.

Yea I love rooting, but its an added benefit for those willing to do it. Shouldn't be considered a requirement.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

pilot25

Reaction score

If you want to spend your time playing with your phone like a toy good on you but to say if you don't want to root your phone then get an iphone is *beyond me.

Most people don't root their phones. I'd bet less than 5% of android owners even know what rooting means.

Last edited by a moderator:

???

Reaction score

since you decided to look for something in my post to be offended over. i will try to offend you more, since you totally missed my point.

deciding on which phone to buy should be about pros and cons of each one, none are perfect. once you reach the point that the phone as more cons for how you use it, look at a different one. he seems to weight things like laggy screen, or over all any small bug as a big deal, without being able to offset any of it with pro's, like say rooting, flashing, the openness of it all to search out and fix most things you don't like and set it up to suite each person, even thought i know that takes some time and reading to pull off. the only pro he has is a gps. so buy a tom tom, i have one and use it in my car because on long trips it works better than my phone does at being a gps., its come in handy. but its an easily offset pro for his usage.

i have a d1 that is rooted, and i got my girl a bolt when it first came out, its not rooted. she asked me if i was going too, and i have friends that have rooted bolts. so no, i'm not worried about hurting the phone at all. but i gave it a month of her PLAYING with it,(she has a pro as a work phone to do actual productive work on) and she seemed to really like sense. so i left it as is.. with that being said, someone like her would have been just as happy with an iphone. the better battery life, camera and stuff would have been all pros for her. and like you, none of the cons of not being open. so again, i ask why you're even here waiting on a nexus. which isn't anything great hardware wise, the cam is blah with a shutter lag gmick no one really needs, the screen while big, isn't the best type. the battery will be dead in a few hours of use, the software will have laggy places that bother you. i'm sure there's more you won't like about it. and none of the upside the nexus brings to offset these cons for you. so why? why sit here any wait and wonder about release dates with us all?

just go buy a phone that will most likely work better for your needs and life style, thats out already, be it a rezound or a 4s. or even a older phone thats price has dropped a ton since release? a bonic is what, .99 cents these days? other than rooting and hacking, i'd say its 99% the nexus will be at a 300$ savings. as proven by my girl's work droid pro, work just fine for productive work.. anything more for productive work is just for playing with.

you see where i'm going with this? i mean of course anyone can buy into any marketing and get whatever phone they feel like getting at the time. but this is a nexus, its a dev phone. its why we are all over this crap and are waiting for it. even if it takes till the end of the month and better phones are out by then. well by now really. but yeah. hell the windows phones with nokia hardware might be a step up whenever a high end one drops.

i for one will say there's no way i'd buy a phone without a keyboard to do any sort of productive work from. unless maybe watching videos on the larger screen is your work. so you really need to just let that go, and relies that what you are doing with your phone IS playing around. if you didn't want to play around with a phone, any old phone will do. unless of course you are just the type of person that needs the latest and greatest of all the new gadgets. not caring about weighing pros and cons to figure would which phone fits your needs best, if so, then i lump you back in with the apple crowd again anyways.