I thought you had to pay for hotspot/tethering

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Did something happen where we can USB tether without paying extra?

Cause I'm running 901 f/w on my bionic and I just USB tethered my phone using the tethering & mobile hotspot section in settings. I thought if you tried to tether you'd be redirected to a page telling you to purchase a plan add on.

I'm not running a custom ROM, did not use any free tethering apps, make any modifications to files, and don't have any hotspot/tethering pack active.

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
USB tethering seems to be free, it has worked since 886. No root, no SQLight workaround (?), just works. It also charges the phone while tethered, unlike wireless hotspot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
USB tethering seems to be free, it has worked since 886. No root, no SQLight workaround (?), just works. It also charges the phone while tethered, unlike wireless hotspot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Wow, is this Bionic (or 4G) only?

poolprez1

Reaction score
I was looking to buy a lapdock to use down at my lake site because the is no internet connections down there. A couple of weeks ago I heard about tethering with no additional charge from verizon, so I am using my laptop and didn't have to buy more equipment that I would not use a lot. I have been tethering for a couple of weeks, no charge:p

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I just tried a DX and it directed me to a vzw page.

Is this a 4G phone feature or a Bionic feature? I wonder why it hasn't received any press...

poolprez1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the tethering for no charge is 4g or bionic. On my bionic I went into settings, then wireless and network settings, then went to tethering & mobile hotspots, then turned on USB tethering. I plugged it into my laptop via usb cord, and I'm on the internet. I do not know a lot about computers, but I tried this a few weeks ago and I'm actually using it right now.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
possibly a short term perk because of all the complaints and issues (complaints and issues as reported from the internets so it must be true lol)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a Bionic feature, i've got an LG Optimus V running a GB ROM and it has the exact same tethering menu. I think it's a Gingerbread feature. Why it works on the Bionic (and has since launch) without redirecting to a splash page is probably related to the fact that there are no wired tethering plans for 4G devices. I'm just surprised VZW doesn't block it somehow.

OP
tjk629

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't think it's a Bionic feature, i've got an LG Optimus V running a GB ROM and it has the exact same tethering menu. I think it's a Gingerbread feature. Why it works on the Bionic (and has since launch) without redirecting to a splash page is probably related to the fact that there are no wired tethering plans for 4G devices. I'm just surprised VZW doesn't block it somehow.

Yeah, it's a GB feature. What I meant was is free tether "authorized" tethering on vzw a Bionic/4G device feature?

I'm pretty sure vzw knows about it since there is no hacking you have to do to do it. It just does it.