I thought the droid X battery life was supposed to be good?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by buffalo_nickel, Sep 22, 2010.

1. buffalo_nickel

buffalo_nickel New Member

One of the main reasons I got the droid was all the hype about how good the battery is...
    Maybe its just my phone, but after average use, I only have about 20-30% at the end of a day (12 hours)
    Is this normal? I obviously use a task killer...and my brightness is set to its lowest.is there anything else I can do?
    I usually just text, do some browsing, etc...nothing extensive.
    I am sure this questions has been beaten into the ground already, but I am definitely not getting the hype of how good the battery is.
    Id appreciate any help or input. I am fine if this is normal, just want to know if I should be concerned.
  2. reef9

reef9 New Member

Go to this thread! It will help you out!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/60776-droid-x-battery-life.html
  3. buffalo_nickel

thanks for the thread...but that seems to just be people giving a solution then someone saying the exact opposite...I've done basically everything I can and Im still not getting the battery most people talk about...

Im sure people are sick of talking about this, which is why Im pissed because im basically screwed =(
  4. reef9

reef9 New Member

All i was trying to do is give you what others have done. Looks like you have done most of it. I personally only get 4 hours with moderate use! So your battery at 10 hrs is MUCH better than mine. Also, I am getting a new phone from VW because in my case, the phone has issues.

Please explain exactly what your doing to not drain the batter?

# of widgets? etc etc..
  5. buffalo_nickel

My brightness is at the minimum,
    Everything is turned off except 3G(bluetooth, wireless, gps, etc all off)
    I use a task manager
    I only use 2 or 3 widgets, never really do any extensive browsing or video or anything, basically just texting and some occasional facebook or gmail

I do appreciate the help! Just feel like I should be getting more out of this phone =/
  6. searayman

searayman New Member

I would actually not use a task manager. Android itself will do that perfectley and the task manager is using more power by running and constantly checking for open apps
  7. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

Get rid of your task killer. Android isn't windows. Background apps use no battery. Only use it for rogue/frozen apps.

I get 3 hours of continuous use of my droid before I'm at about 10% (starting at 100). I've never understood how anyone could possibly get more than 5 hours out of one of these things. I have a feeling people are using them a little less than they let on when they say they can use them all day. When I use my phone I use it nonstop though, that may be the difference.
  8. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

i think the battery life is not good enough
  9. searayman

searayman New Member

I get a solid 22 hours of battery life
  10. smrivera80

smrivera80 New Member

I've been at roughly 40% after 8-9 hours of moderate use (light texting, Facebook and Twitter usage and light web browsing with one or two short phone calls). I'm finding that since my update to Froyo yesterday, it seems slightly better, so I'm still observing if that's truly the case.
  11. buffalo_nickel

thanks guys...maybe Im just being paranoid.
    Since I've had it I havent done the "let it run all the way out" thing.
    Is that helpful or necessary? I didnt think it was with lithium batteries
  12. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

It won't hurt anything, it doesn't help the battery so much as it allows the software to calibrate itself to the battery. The phone won't actually let the battery drain completely (as that ruins LIon batteries).
  13. buffalo_nickel

Could you explain this? I'm confused...if the phone is using more memory its using more power so wouldnt that drain more battery? Also, if it was the case that background apps didnt use power why are task killers so popular??
  14. buffalo_nickel

I have battery indicator pro, and I fully charged my phone. It said I had 36 hours of light use. I set it on a table and did homework for 2 hours (had full service) no apps running. The battery went from 100 to 90 and batter indicator said I had 32 hours of light usage left.

How does this make sense? Im starting to think I have a defective battery...
    I mean, I'm getting half of what it says I should

Please help =(
  15. takeshi

takeshi New Member

No, you're operating on an incorrect assumption. Again, read up on Android. Every task killer thread explains this and there are many articles on how Android multitasks. Don't assume.

Ignorant Verizon CSR's pushing them is one big reason. People assuming that they know how Android works is another...
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. jonesjen

jonesjen New Member

i need help too

I have been searching this and every other sight I can about this droid incredible. I just received my FoRTH DROID in two months. It wont stay charged at all. The last one, had a sync issue that even the rep at Verizon said was not normal. But I charge all night and then after and hour, its DEAD I go to whats using battery, and it says all sort of things, like skype, backup assistant, things I do not even use!!! Is there a way to get some of these things to stop running ? I go to force stop... but they come right back on. I am not computer savvy really so I just need the thing for texting, occasional music, face book... not much really!!! Can anyone please walk me through it???

17. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Takeshi's correct. It might help to think of memory as a set of chairs in a room. When a task runs the memory it requires is the responsibility of a few of the occupants of those chairs. When the task is over (i.e. cpu cycles are done), the memory "chairs" (slots) are still occupied, but their occupants aren't using any power; they're just sitting there.

Every now and then the phone needs to do a task that requires more memory than there are available "chairs." When that happens, the Android O/S asks some of the occupants to leave and other occupants come in and sit down. (That requires some power.)

And that's why a task killer is both unnecessary and harmful (in terms of battery life.) It "empties" the chairs for no good reason. And if that killed process is ever run again, the memory must be "refilled."

Much of this confusion results from a misuse of the term "running" when applied to a process. A "running" process is using cpu cycles. To do this it must occupy "memory." But just because a process (i.e. task) is occupying memory does not mean it is "running."

Hope this helps you understand.
  18. buffalo_nickel

thanks so much guys! I definitely have a much better grasp on this now
  19. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

From Google Devs:
    Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
    The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
    Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
    As such, using a task manager/killer to constantly clear memory by killing apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly.