I thought the droid X battery life was supposed to be good?

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I got the droid was all the hype about how good the battery is...
Maybe its just my phone, but after average use, I only have about 20-30% at the end of a day (12 hours)
Is this normal? I obviously use a task killer...and my brightness is set to its lowest.is there anything else I can do?
I usually just text, do some browsing, etc...nothing extensive.
I am sure this questions has been beaten into the ground already, but I am definitely not getting the hype of how good the battery is.
Id appreciate any help or input. I am fine if this is normal, just want to know if I should be concerned.

reef9

Reaction score
One of the main reasons I got the droid was all the hype about how good the battery is...
Maybe its just my phone, but after average use, I only have about 20-30% at the end of a day (12 hours)
Is this normal? I obviously use a task killer...and my brightness is set to its lowest.is there anything else I can do?
I usually just text, do some browsing, etc...nothing extensive.
I am sure this questions has been beaten into the ground already, but I am definitely not getting the hype of how good the battery is.
Id appreciate any help or input. I am fine if this is normal, just want to know if I should be concerned.

Go to this thread! It will help you out!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/60776-droid-x-battery-life.html

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the thread...but that seems to just be people giving a solution then someone saying the exact opposite...I've done basically everything I can and Im still not getting the battery most people talk about...

Im sure people are sick of talking about this, which is why Im pissed because im basically screwed =(

reef9

Reaction score
All i was trying to do is give you what others have done. Looks like you have done most of it. I personally only get 4 hours with moderate use! So your battery at 10 hrs is MUCH better than mine. Also, I am getting a new phone from VW because in my case, the phone has issues.

Please explain exactly what your doing to not drain the batter?

# of widgets? etc etc..

OP
B
Reaction score
My brightness is at the minimum,
Everything is turned off except 3G(bluetooth, wireless, gps, etc all off)
I use a task manager
I only use 2 or 3 widgets, never really do any extensive browsing or video or anything, basically just texting and some occasional facebook or gmail

I do appreciate the help! Just feel like I should be getting more out of this phone =/

searayman

Reaction score
I would actually not use a task manager. Android itself will do that perfectley and the task manager is using more power by running and constantly checking for open apps

velocity92c

Reaction score
Get rid of your task killer. Android isn't windows. Background apps use no battery. Only use it for rogue/frozen apps.

I get 3 hours of continuous use of my droid before I'm at about 10% (starting at 100). I've never understood how anyone could possibly get more than 5 hours out of one of these things. I have a feeling people are using them a little less than they let on when they say they can use them all day. When I use my phone I use it nonstop though, that may be the difference.

smrivera80

Reaction score
I've been at roughly 40% after 8-9 hours of moderate use (light texting, Facebook and Twitter usage and light web browsing with one or two short phone calls). I'm finding that since my update to Froyo yesterday, it seems slightly better, so I'm still observing if that's truly the case.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks guys...maybe Im just being paranoid.
Since I've had it I havent done the "let it run all the way out" thing.
Is that helpful or necessary? I didnt think it was with lithium batteries

jimnutt

Reaction score
Since I've had it I havent done the "let it run all the way out" thing.
Is that helpful or necessary? I didnt think it was with lithium batteries

It won't hurt anything, it doesn't help the battery so much as it allows the software to calibrate itself to the battery. The phone won't actually let the battery drain completely (as that ruins LIon batteries).

OP
B
Reaction score
Get rid of your task killer. Android isn't windows. Background apps use no battery. Only use it for rogue/frozen apps.

I get 3 hours of continuous use of my droid before I'm at about 10% (starting at 100). I've never understood how anyone could possibly get more than 5 hours out of one of these things. I have a feeling people are using them a little less than they let on when they say they can use them all day. When I use my phone I use it nonstop though, that may be the difference.

Could you explain this? I'm confused...if the phone is using more memory its using more power so wouldnt that drain more battery? Also, if it was the case that background apps didnt use power why are task killers so popular??

OP
B
Reaction score
I have battery indicator pro, and I fully charged my phone. It said I had 36 hours of light use. I set it on a table and did homework for 2 hours (had full service) no apps running. The battery went from 100 to 90 and batter indicator said I had 32 hours of light usage left.

How does this make sense? Im starting to think I have a defective battery...
I mean, I'm getting half of what it says I should

Please help =(

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Could you explain this? I'm confused...if the phone is using more memory its using more power so wouldnt that drain more battery?
No, you're operating on an incorrect assumption. Again, read up on Android. Every task killer thread explains this and there are many articles on how Android multitasks. Don't assume.

Also, if it was the case that background apps didnt use power why are task killers so popular??
Ignorant Verizon CSR's pushing them is one big reason. People assuming that they know how Android works is another...

Last edited: