I think my droid DROWNED:(

armoayjay

Reaction score
today i went to my girlfriends house i changed into my swimsuit and left my droid both rooted and running bugless beast. i went ahead and got it and took it out side just in case somebody would call. then the big thing,my girlfriend pushed me into the pool jokingly .

I got out of the pool and immeadatly did the following;
took out the battery
blow dried it for like like 30 seconds
then put it in a cup full of vodka for 10 mins

then i let it set for about an hour and put it in a jar full of rice for about 4 hours

what can i do now i tried turning it on and all that happened was the led light was blinking red??:( is there any other way yall might know how i can save my fone?

INFERNO

Reaction score
Vodka is not even.....well had you not stuck it in there for 10min you may have had a chance.

andrew149

Reaction score
hes not screwed your gonna think im stupid but put it in a bag of rice the vodka was a smart idea it moved the water out of the phone and since vodka evaporte fast the will take the water out leave the battery out for 3 days do not put it in surgest a week of the phone being in a bag of rice you can also put a heater next to it keep it warm but not hot this does work i have done it twice.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Vodka was not the best idea. Rubbing alcohol would have been the way to go. And rice is a wive's tale. All you can do now is pull the battery, leave it sit out near a cool fan/air vent for a day or 2 and hope for the best.

andrew149

Reaction score
Vodka was not the best idea. Rubbing alcohol would have been the way to go. And rice is a wive's tale. All you can do now is pull the battery, leave it sit out near a cool fan/air vent for a day or 2 and hope for the best.

sorry buddy but rice isnt do some reading because i droped my env touch in the pool put it in rice all water came out of the screen. phone ran just fine

ShowTime

Reaction score
What would you like me to read? There are numerous threads on here debating the issue. But the fact is; if rice were somehow hygroscopic enough to literally pull the moisture out of the phone, then it would get moldy just sitting in a cabinet because it would pull the moisture out of the air... yet it doesn't. You could get the same usefulness from putting it in a bag of cotton balls or clean socks or fairy dust, as you would rice. If it makes you feel better, by all means go ahead. It isn't going to hurt the process any. But don't count on it as a magic savior. And for the record, I dropped my old EnV in the tub, pulled the battery, blowdried for about 20 min, let it sit on a counter for about 6 hours (no rice) and it worked just fine too.

andrew149

Reaction score
What would you like me to read? There are numerous threads on here debating the issue. But the fact is; if rice were somehow hygroscopic enough to literally pull the moisture out of the phone, then it would get moldy just sitting in a cabinet because it would pull the moisture out of the air... yet it doesn't. You could get the same usefulness from putting it in a bag of cotton balls or clean socks or fairy dust, as you would rice. If it makes you feel better, by all means go ahead. It isn't going to hurt the process any. But don't count on it as a magic savior. And for the record, I dropped my old EnV in the tub, pulled the battery, blowdried for about 20 min, let it sit on a counter for about 6 hours (no rice) and it worked just fine too.

you still had water in the screen though didnt you? i didnt have anywater in my screen at all and i droped it in coke haha

iDr0id

Reaction score
You could have baked it in the oven for like a half hour at the lowest heat level

ShowTime

Reaction score

you still had water in the screen though didnt you? i didnt have anywater in my screen at all and i droped it in coke haha

no. I didn't.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a write-up I made from knowledge gained from CorinaCake's link.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/of...ill-dry-your-cellphone-perhaps-save-doom.html

OR

I'm not expert on this but have had to deal with this in the past and have read quite a bit about wet electronics.

0) REMOVE THE BATTERY. LOCK IT AWAY so you don't do something stupid and ruin your phone.

1) take apart the device as much as you feel comfortable. With most phones these days, there's not much for most people to take apart.

2) if it was anything besides plain water (salt water, urine, juice, etc.) then rinse the sucker off ASAP. If all you have is tap water, then just do it. Better alternatives are distilled water or 90%+ rubbing alcohol (although alcohol could damage some parts). Slosh the phone around in a bowl of it for a little while.

3) try to shake out any water. spin the phone around in a towel. don't throw your phone

4) get that thing dry as fast as you can. A hair dryer works great but you have to be very careful to not scorch the thing. Keep the hair dryer about 18 inches away. Test it with your hand. Don't leave it pointed at the phone too long. After about 10 minutes, you might want to let the phone cool a bit and then go another 10 minutes.

If you don't have a hair dryer, leave the phone in a sunny window or dry it in any way that you think will work...dehumidifier, desiccant, rice?, whatever.

5) WAIT! The best thing to do is wait 5 or more days to be more sure that the thing is dry...although a hair dryer could do the job the same day.

6) Unlock your battery from the vault, put it back in, and charge it up.

Any suggestions to improving these ideas are welcome!

OP
A

armoayjay

Reaction score
I know itts been like 4 months but and update to this story,

I ordered a new fone thru the insurance, the day I got it I was saying goodbye to my old droid,then it turned on......

The screen was a little messed up, but everything worked and ran pretty good I couldn't tell anything was wrong.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App