I think I'm screwed...

Prez

Reaction score
So I decided to root my Droid last night. I didn't do anything major to it until a few hours ago. I installed Sapphire 1.0.0 without backing anything up. It turns out I didn't really like it. The market would not open at all after I tried fixing it. So I tried doing a factory reset which didn't really help, so I went into the recovery and formatted everything. Now my phone will not go past the Motorola logo. It just stays at the logo for some time, goes to a black screen for 2 seconds, and then goes back and repeats. I'm letting it charge right now. I can get into the bootloader and the recovery still, but I have to catch the screen at the right time to do it. I have no idea what to do...I'm hoping someone can help me.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should be able to put a ROM on your SD card via computer and card reader, then boot into recovery, wipe data and cache and install your new ROM

What recovery do you have installed, SPR or CW

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you can still get into recovery, you should be able to reinstall sapphire, it should still be on the SD card. Then you MAKE A BACKUP!!!! and find something else you like... may I suggest Succulent Desire.... hope that works....

OP
P

Prez

Reaction score
I have CW. I'm thinking I must have raped my SD card because I tried hooking it up to my computer and I couldn't even access it when my computer recognized it.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Try to get into recovery and see if the sapphire install is there...

HarshReality

Reaction score
If your using clockwork then use the partitions section and mount the SDcard via USB cable and put another ROM.zip on the card. Then just disable the SD mounting and install zip from SD card.

OP
P

Prez

Reaction score
Okay so I got into the recovery and mounted the SD card. When I looked on my computer, it was completely empty except for the clockwordmod folder. Nothing else was in there. I tried installing another update.zip and the installation completed, but I'm still having the same problem.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ah, I love ROM Manager oh so much.

You may have lost all the data on your SD card. I don't know.

If you can get into ROM Manager, look for a STOCK rooted 2.2 and TRY to install it and hope for the best. If you can't find one there, read on.

What I'd STRONGLY suggest you do is go here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html and use it to flash SPRecovery on. Once you have that you can download a stock 2.2 rooted ROM or another custom ROM like CyanogenMod, Lithium, Ultimate Droid, Simply Stunning, etc. I'd recommend CyanogenMod or Simply Stunning first, just to see if you like them before moving on to the others. Nothing against them, but having my own experiences and talking people through trying custom ROMs, these two have had the best success at people liking them. Once you have them installed, BACK THEM UP before moving on.

I have a link in my signature that might help. It might not. Good luck.

Links can be provided if you wish.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you wipe data and cache first, and did you use easy root to Root ?

OP
P

Prez

Reaction score
Did you wipe data and cache first, and did you use easy root to Root ?
I'm pretty sure I didn't. I'm a noob to the whole rooting stuff. I saw that and thought that doesn't sound like a good idea...so I didn't do it. And no I didn't use easy root, I used the rsd method.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wipe data and cache, a few times each then reinstall the ROM...that will make a world of difference

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
And this is what skipping ahead can do. Well, we're past it, now we need to try to save your phone! :)

Alright, as I previously asked -- can you get into ROM Manager?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
PREZ: follow the steps furbearingmammal gave you using SPRecovery. Between SPRecovery and RSDLite, there is almost NOTHING you can't come back from.

Some people debate whether or not clearing cache more than once works or not, but from my personal experience (and other more experienced people in these forums) it has gotten me out of a boot loop a few times. Definitely can't hurt.

On occasion the first shot doesn't always go right for me either, but re-doing everything has ALWAYS worked for me.

And since we always learn best from our own mistakes, this should serve as your lesson to always back things up prior to making ANY changes. :) God knows I've been there.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
And this is what skipping ahead can do. Well, we're past it, now we need to try to save your phone! :)

Alright, as I previously asked -- can you get into ROM Manager?

My guess is no. He said he's still having the same problem - which I take as the boot loop.