1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I think I'm losing my mind!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by Lars1, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

I have set a custom notification tone for Gmail and I would like to change it but I can't find the notifications option.

Can anyone help?

Thx
  2. linuxgator

linuxgator New Member

On your home screen, press the menu button (bottom left corner), then settings, then select sound and notification ringtone is one of the options. If you want to use a ringtone that is not listed, open music player, find it in there and long press on it, one of the options will be set as notification ringtone. Gmail uses the general phone notification ringtone, you can't set it separately as far as i know.
  3. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

You can set it separately.

Launch the GMail App > Menu Soft Key > More > Settings > Select Ringtone (it's down the bottom)
  4. louy99

louy99 New Member

On the D2 you can. Open gmail then press menu/settings and you should maybe find it there

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  5. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

When I do this, I see General preferences (no ringtone option in there) and accounts. I click on my account and at the bottom is a box to turn on or off email notifications but no notification sound option.

Am I missing something??
  6. The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14 New Member

I don't see any accounts on mine. I see General Settings and Notification Settings as the titles. Maybe try going into the Inbox of a Gmail Account first, then Settings?
  7. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

Mine is like this as well, after the checkbox to turn on or off notification is Select Ringtone.
  8. xaelith

xaelith New Member

Sounds like there's multiple gmail accounts being used on the phone, or at least the phone thinks there is.

As others have said, open the inbox of the account you wish to set the notification for. Press the menu key, and select Settings (if it's not in the list that first comes up, look under More). Down near the bottom is or should be an option to receive notifications; make sure the box is green/checked! When the notification setting is turned on, two more options should appear beneath: an option to select the notification tone, and an option to select whether the phone vibrates or not.

Sorry if I over-simplified things (or did not simplify them enough). Without knowing you personally and/or not seeing the problem first-hand, it's hard to know wherein the problem lies, and the best way to go about helping you with it.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. xaelith

xaelith New Member

Oops, my apologies...seems we received a sneaky update of the gmail app without being told.

Same as before, go into settings, choose the account you wish to modify settings for, and scroll to the bottom. There should be an option that reads "Labels to notify", select it. Another menu should pop up for all the folders/labels you wish to receive a notification for. Select the one you wish to edit, and in there now are the options to change ringtone, and whether or not to vibrate.

Geez...would've been nice if we'd been notified of the update...
  10. Lars1

Lars1 New Member

Thank you very much!!
  11. sam handwich

sam handwich New Member

Holy crap thank you. Found this through a looong Google search.
  12. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 New Member

This is definitely a big step back in the intuitive user experience dept. The old way way so much simpler!
  13. xaelith

xaelith New Member

Very true, but what gets me most is there wasn't anything to suggest that a change had been made; not even "gmail app has successfully updated" or whatever it says when something updates. Glad to see that others were helped by my solution.
Search tags for this page

galaxy note 2 notifications

i keep losing my ringtones on my galaxy note 2