i think im bricked

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
OK thanks but how do I make my own? I'll get it done Saturday when my gf brings the laptop...

So this homemade cable is to charge the phone 1st then use another USB cable to sbf?

kenji91

Reaction score
OK thanks but how do I make my own? I'll get it done Saturday when my gf brings the laptop...
So this homemade cable is to charge the phone 1st then use another USB cable to sbf?

Correct. The homemade cable is kind of like what you would do to jump a car battery. Just hook up the positive (red) to the positive and the negative (black) to the negative and let it sit for a little while, maybe an hour or so. That should give you enough juice to flash/sbf. Note - the hour I left mine on was via DC current, not through a computer USB port. Directly plugging into an outlet charges faster than using the USB port on a computer.

It's fairly simple. Just cut the cord anywhere, but I'd recommend near the micro USB end so you have enough slack in the cord. When you peel back the rubber coating, you'll find four colored wires - red, black, green, and white. I'm not 100% sure on the green/white but the red and black are for sure. Forget the green and white; those are data wires.

Peel back the red coating on the red wire and expose the bare wire. Twist them to make them one solid piece instead of tiny little wires.

Do the same for the black one.

Open your D4. Use this as a guide: Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - iFixit

In step 6, you'll see this image: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/EkinmZav2Oy1xGwK.medium
If you loosen these screws, you can wrap the red and black wires from the cord around the base of the screw. Tighten the screws back down a little to make sure they don't come loose. The one he's screwing in the picture is the positive port. RED = +, BLACK = -. Do not mix them up or let them cross at all!!

Once you have them screwed them on, plug the other end into the wall charger. Let it sit for an hour. You can try powering it on after that and see if it works.

Now it's up to you if you want to remove the wires from the battery terminals or if you want to leave them on while you SBF.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
What did u do abt that big adhesive strip holding the battery in once u ripped it off?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Why do you have to take the battery out? Just make the programming cable so you can charge it and the cable can also be used to sbf it.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
thats what kenji said to do..splice the usb cable and connect the pos and neg wires to the battery terminals so itl charge...am i right?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
You could. I dont think you have to remove the tape, there are two screws that hold the copper strip to the phone near the bottom. I beleive that's where the wires must be attached to.

Ask kenji again if the programming cable can be used to charge the phone, I believe it can.

kenji91

Reaction score
You could. I dont think you have to remove the tape, there are two screws that hold the copper strip to the phone near the bottom. I beleive that's where the wires must be attached to.

Ask kenji again if the programming cable can be used to charge the phone, I believe it can.

I've never used the factory/programming cable to charge the phone so I can't really comment on that.

However, I wouldn't take the battery out at all - it's glued pretty heavily to the phone. You can peel the sticker on top of it back a little on one corner to reach the screws that hold the battery down.

The part you want to peel back is the bottom right side of the sticker. Look at the teardown pictures and you'll see it in step 6.

Last edited:

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
Boy I remember the same dang thang happened to me. Had to order one of them fastboot cables.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2