i think im bricked

Discussion in 'Droid 4 ROMS' started by 93fuelslut, Dec 27, 2012.

1. kenji91

kenji91 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    if you cant wait for a factory cable but are willing to sacrifice a usb cable, you can try what i did to charge my phone when i bricked it.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...4-ics-build-droid-4-xt894-28.html#post2166647

2. SleepyLunatic

SleepyLunatic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    News flash...I can get into boot loader but it won't do "normal power up".. so now what?
    u think vzw or moto could tell its been rooted at this point? it wont go past the m logo

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    and inside ap fastboot, it says device locked and can not program...how is it locked? does that mean bricked

5. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    do u still have the cable? if u want, i can pay for the shipping both ways that way ur not out anything if i can use it..
    i might just have to send it to moto

6. kenji91

kenji91 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If you can get into bootloader, you should be able to select recovery from that menu.

Follow these instructions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otorola-droid-4-xt894-stock-windows-only.html

I can't stress this enough, but make sure you follow steps 1-3 first.

Also, I have no problem sending you the cable I had, but it would be faster for you to make your own. It took me about 20 mins and is useful to have in the future. It doesn't even have to be a micro USB cord - you can use any USB cable, USB to USB, USB to mini USB, USB to micro USB, you can probably use an iPhone one. As long as the one end plugs into a charging port of some kind, all you need is positive and negative charge.

Keep in mind that you're still going to need a regular cord to send data to the phone, so don't splice up your only charger. :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  7. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    OK thanks but how do I make my own? I'll get it done Saturday when my gf brings the laptop...

So this homemade cable is to charge the phone 1st then use another USB cable to sbf?

8. kenji91

kenji91 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Correct. The homemade cable is kind of like what you would do to jump a car battery. Just hook up the positive (red) to the positive and the negative (black) to the negative and let it sit for a little while, maybe an hour or so. That should give you enough juice to flash/sbf. Note - the hour I left mine on was via DC current, not through a computer USB port. Directly plugging into an outlet charges faster than using the USB port on a computer.

It's fairly simple. Just cut the cord anywhere, but I'd recommend near the micro USB end so you have enough slack in the cord. When you peel back the rubber coating, you'll find four colored wires - red, black, green, and white. I'm not 100% sure on the green/white but the red and black are for sure. Forget the green and white; those are data wires.

Peel back the red coating on the red wire and expose the bare wire. Twist them to make them one solid piece instead of tiny little wires.

Do the same for the black one.

Open your D4. Use this as a guide: Motorola Droid 4 Teardown - iFixit

In step 6, you'll see this image: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/EkinmZav2Oy1xGwK.medium
    If you loosen these screws, you can wrap the red and black wires from the cord around the base of the screw. Tighten the screws back down a little to make sure they don't come loose. The one he's screwing in the picture is the positive port. RED = +, BLACK = -. Do not mix them up or let them cross at all!!

Once you have them screwed them on, plug the other end into the wall charger. Let it sit for an hour. You can try powering it on after that and see if it works.

Now it's up to you if you want to remove the wires from the battery terminals or if you want to leave them on while you SBF.

9. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks.. i had a feeling this is what i had to do.

10. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just curious....how woulda sbf phone go with vzw? Could they tell?

11. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    No they can't tell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

12. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Word

Search tags for this page