i think im bricked

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
kenji....thanks, il give it a shot 2mrw when my gf brings her laptop back over

orangechoochoo, yea its supose to cause my other d4 keeps locking up on me so i do that frenquently.

i hope i get this done by over the weekend cause vzw has done hit me with the fee for not returning it...kinda lost it lol

kenji91

Reaction score
kenji....thanks, il give it a shot 2mrw when my gf brings her laptop back over

It's a big download, so if it doesn't work the first time, you might want to try re-downloading it to make sure the zip file isn't corrupt.

Re-install the drivers on the laptop for sure, even if you think you've done it.

The first question is - when you completely power down your phone (Vol - and Power until the screen goes blank), and you reboot it WHILE holding Vol + AND Vol -, can you get the fastboot screen?

It shouldn't even get to the M / Motorola screen if you did it right.

It should look something like this:

http://www.xda-developers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/AP-Fastboot-613x1024.jpg?f39ce1

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
iv tried to get to the fastboot screen.....20 plus times
its been charging for 15min and still on the m logo

what would happen if i send the phone to moto and say it just locked up? its still under warranty anyway..i dont see how they could give me a fee since its still under warranty

Last edited:

kenji91

Reaction score
iv tried to get to the fastboot screen.....20 plus times
its been charging for 15min and still on the m logo

what would happen if i send the phone to moto and say it just locked up? its still under warranty anyway..i dont see how they could give me a fee since its still under warranty

Have you done this? Hold the Vol- button and the power button (top button) at the same time for 10 seconds. The screen should shut off. IMMEDIATELY start holding BOTH volume buttons until the screen comes on. If nothing comes on the screen, start holding the top button as well, but don't let go of both volume buttons.

The fastboot screen comes on before the M screen.

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
well now it wont even cut back on .....im getting ready for work now so il keep messing with it in the a.m...
but thanks fella's... il try to sbf it when my gf comes over fri or sat....

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Well, if you can't even get to the bootloader screen it's probably so jacked up that Moto and big V won't be able to check if your phone has been tampered with.

Krooked247

Reaction score
I had this same problem when I bricked my d4 and battery died. I couldnt flash it back to stock cause it wouldn't turn on past the motorola M and I couldn't get to fastboot because it would just die. Tryin to charge it wouldn't help either because it wouldn't boot up far enough to recognize that it was connected to the charger. The only way I found to fix it was to buy a factory programming cable(it powers phone on but doesn't charge). Ordered a clone off ebay for 12 bucks. Plugged phone into computer with it and flashed it back to stock, left it plugged in and booted it all the way. Then when I unplugged phone it immediately died but was reprogrammed so when I switched back to the charger cable it came up with the battery charging screen. I let it fill up all the way then booted phone back up and re-rooted an installed safestrap again. After all that I was back to normal with everything. You can also make your own factory cable from the usb cable that comes with the phone if you choose to go that route, there is a tutorial on here somewhere. It maybe be in tech support or hacks section can't remember. Hope this helped.

Krooked All Day....

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
i think im in the same boat as u. so basicly go buy a programing cable, and connect it to the laptop and phone thru the usb port, and sbf it?
im gonna try an find that tutorial..its probly on xda

howd u brick urs?

kenji91

Reaction score
OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
News flash...I can get into boot loader but it won't do "normal power up".. so now what?
u think vzw or moto could tell its been rooted at this point? it wont go past the m logo

Last edited:
OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
and inside ap fastboot, it says device locked and can not program...how is it locked? does that mean bricked

OP
93fuelslut

93fuelslut

Reaction score
I had this same problem when I bricked my d4 and battery died. I couldnt flash it back to stock cause it wouldn't turn on past the motorola M and I couldn't get to fastboot because it would just die. Tryin to charge it wouldn't help either because it wouldn't boot up far enough to recognize that it was connected to the charger. The only way I found to fix it was to buy a factory programming cable(it powers phone on but doesn't charge). Ordered a clone off ebay for 12 bucks. Plugged phone into computer with it and flashed it back to stock, left it plugged in and booted it all the way. Then when I unplugged phone it immediately died but was reprogrammed so when I switched back to the charger cable it came up with the battery charging screen. I let it fill up all the way then booted phone back up and re-rooted an installed safestrap again. After all that I was back to normal with everything. You can also make your own factory cable from the usb cable that comes with the phone if you choose to go that route, there is a tutorial on here somewhere. It maybe be in tech support or hacks section can't remember. Hope this helped.

Krooked All Day....
do u still have the cable? if u want, i can pay for the shipping both ways that way ur not out anything if i can use it..
i might just have to send it to moto

kenji91

Reaction score
do u still have the cable? if u want, i can pay for the shipping both ways that way ur not out anything if i can use it..
i might just have to send it to moto

If you can get into bootloader, you should be able to select recovery from that menu.

Follow these instructions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otorola-droid-4-xt894-stock-windows-only.html

I can't stress this enough, but make sure you follow steps 1-3 first.

Also, I have no problem sending you the cable I had, but it would be faster for you to make your own. It took me about 20 mins and is useful to have in the future. It doesn't even have to be a micro USB cord - you can use any USB cable, USB to USB, USB to mini USB, USB to micro USB, you can probably use an iPhone one. As long as the one end plugs into a charging port of some kind, all you need is positive and negative charge.

Keep in mind that you're still going to need a regular cord to send data to the phone, so don't splice up your only charger. :)

Last edited: