I think I trashed my taskbar

ncobserver

Reaction score
Have only had my Droid for a week now and I think I've already made a big mistake. Was trying to uninstall Taskill (Verizon rep put it on the phone) and now the taskbar is no longer there.

Any ideas how to get it back? I don't see it any longer in Widgets...

omnibus

Reaction score
Just a guess here! If you're talking about the google search bar with the microphone icon it's listed with a "G" and "search" in the widgets list.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa.... a VZW rep put Task Killer on your phone? Why? Yet more proof that most (not all VZW reps :)) don't know what on Earth they're talking about.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have only had my Droid for a week now and I think I've already made a big mistake. Was trying to uninstall Taskill (Verizon rep put it on the phone) and now the taskbar is no longer there.

Any ideas how to get it back? I don't see it any longer in Widgets...
are you sure the "task bar" is what you think it is? the notification bar at the top of the screen will be a white bar with your signal, battery and a clock (and maybe some other stuff). do you not see that bar?

have you tried a reboot?

if worse comes to worse, you should do a factory reset.

OP
N

ncobserver

Reaction score
It's all good - it was the TasKiller taskbar

I figured it out later this morning.

It was the TasKiller taskbar that went missing when trying to delete TasKiller.

And, yes, a Verizon rep put this on my phone the morning I bought it.

Not looking directly at the phone when he was doing this I thought it was a Droid taskbar and I was worried.

I have since found out I don't need a task killer and have uninstalled it from my phone.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Just went into a Verizon store to look at the multimedia dock and car dock and I was playing with their display Droids and one definitely had Home++ and Advanced Task Killer on it, among 30 or so other apps. (Also I can't believe they're trying to charge $30 for each o those docks. The car one is especially absurd as it doesn't actually do anything as far as I can tell.)

tktouch12

Reaction score
the vzw reps really think its great. several have told me that i should install it and even that it will solve most/all my speed/lag problems

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa.... a VZW rep put Task Killer on your phone? Why? Yet more proof that most (not all VZW reps :)) don't know what on Earth they're talking about.

I had my Verizon rep ask me if he could put this on as well. I asked him why, he said it helps with people coming in complaining about battery problems and FC's.

OP
N

ncobserver

Reaction score
It's all good - it was the TasKiller taskbar

I bought my phone on 1.15.10 and what prompted the deletion of Taskiller was that this morning, 1.20.10 (with TasKiller still running), I noticed several apps were running (none that I had started) and only 3 out of 5 would actually stop but, then beginning running a few moments later. This did not happen the first 4 days I had the phone.

Then today, 1.20.10, my phone's battery died before I even returned home (took it off the charger at 0730 this morning). I had never gone below 50% the first 4 days.

I think one problem was WeatherBug (temp running in the notification bar), so I've changed some settings and hope that helps.

NVash

Reaction score
From my own personal experience, Verizon reps know nothing about the Droid. I remember I walked in and asked some simple questions to the guy shortly after purchasing one and he told me that I needed to speak with the Droid people in Customer Support. Apparently Verizon has a whole different area of people who work only with the Droid, most reps have no clue about it.

He did set up my Bluetooth though.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I had my Verizon rep ask me if he could put this on as well. I asked him why, he said it helps with people coming in complaining about battery problems and FC's.
LOL. Figures, it's an easy way to just avoid actually dealing with and solving an issue.

Vladimir

Reaction score
Average user has no clue whats going on their dang phone, so the task killer is a great way to keep from dumb users complaining about issues that they caused....its called user error....task killer fixes 90% of that lol I think everyone should have a Task killer installed, unless you KNOW what you are actually doing....

Silver Member
Reaction score
Average user has no clue whats going on their dang phone, so the task killer is a great way to keep from dumb users complaining about issues that they caused....its called user error....task killer fixes 90% of that lol I think everyone should have a Task killer installed, unless you KNOW what you are actually doing....
that's the WORSE analogy as to why anyone should have a task killer. if the average user has no clue what is going on behind the scenes of their phone, giving them MORE power to end things they don't understand is a terrible thing to do. why not let a monkey pay your pills, a pig drive your car and a rooster raise your kids???

i strongly disagree with your statement. besides, third party task killers simply aren't needed for Android.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
that's the WORSE analogy as to why anyone should have a task killer. if the average user has no clue what is going on behind the scenes of their phone, giving them MORE power to end things they don't understand is a terrible thing to do. why not let a monkey pay your pills, a pig drive your car and a rooster raise your kids???

i strongly disagree with your statement. besides, third party task killers simply aren't needed for Android.

Yes, I got to agree with ya 640k, that's definitely not the reason someone should have a task killer...if they don't know what they're doing, then they should stay oblivious to what's going on in the background, before they seriously screw up their phone and go complain that they got a lemon or somethin