1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I think I lost recovery menu.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by linuzo, Dec 19, 2010.

1. linuzo

linuzo New Member

If anyone knows how to restore a recovery menu that would be great. I installed Rom manager and it said to choose a phone to install clockwork mod recovery menu so I saw Spice and not reading through enough it was for MI700 device not the one I have.

Long story short now when I try to boot to recovery menu I see this thing says fastboot v0.5 and a blue screen booting up all the peripherals within the device. Of course since it's not for the device it says kernel panic and freezes so then I need to pop out the battery and I can boot back to 2.1 android.

Although it leaves me recovery menu crippled. I have been reading for hours and it says you can do it with adb and fastboot to remove the one that is there. Anyone know if I will have any luck on this device? Motorola XT300

Thanks
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I believe you should be able to open RM and re install CW
  3. linuzo

linuzo New Member

yeah I tried that as well but no go.. For some reason it says that it is installed and then it just shows me the same screen again when I do that. I think my device isn't supported since it is so new I guess.. I'll just have to wait or if there is a way with the SDK that would be good too.. I am an experenced linux user.
  4. mwhartman

Try installing SPR then CW
  5. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1

DroidForums junkie!!
  6. linuzo

linuzo New Member

I wanan be the first one to mod the Xt300 :)
  7. linuzo

linuzo New Member

Yeah I dont know what image to use for SPRecovery because this phone is really new. Device says it's sesame or something. I dunno but this is whats happening on bootloader

[​IMG]
  8. mwhartman

It is an option in RM Open RM scroll to the bottom and look for Flash Alternate Recovery
    Install SPR then re install CW
  9. linuzo

linuzo New Member

weird mine says No Alternate Recovery Available.
  10. mwhartman

That seems odd to me. Sorry, I do not have any other suggestions.
  11. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

ROM Manager said that to me when I had SPRecovey already. Check at the TOP of the ROM Manager screen where it says "Current Recovery" and "Latest Recovery". Does it say SPRecovery? You could always flash a recovery-only sbf, but I wouldn't do that until you know what if there is problem with the recovery partition or if the problem is just with ROM Manager.

And what ROM are you running right now? What method did you use to root? The more details the better we can help you.
  12. linuzo

linuzo New Member

It doesn't say I have SPRecovery it says I have Clockwork Mod 2.5.0.1 However when I try to boot into it I get that error with the bootscreen shows fastboot v0.5 and a bunch of errors then kernel panic and cannot read boot image sector.

I believe when I tried the Spice MI300 which I mistakened for the Motorola Spice it messed it up. Because that is when this other screen started showing up. Currently I still have a useable phone and it boots into the phone itself so I don't think the bootloader is completely hosed but the phone is unable to boot to recovery, when I boot to the fastboot screen I still get errors like a bluescreen however I can still connect the device.

Using ADB I am unable to push a file to the device I always get permission denied. Even after I Do su. I rooted the phone itself with the z4root app. Which seemed to work because it grants root access to certain apps as well.

The phone has a developer name of sesame I seen in some rom mannager logs when I had clockwork mod installed and was able to boot but it couldn't mount anything, /system , /data etc...

It appears to have board msm7x if that makes sense. I'm trying to give any information that I think might be helpful. My only other guess is to wait for someone else to come with a Motorola XT300 have them root it backup their recovery rom and then use that to recover it.

For now it works on 2.1 but I wanted to try for 2.2 so I could install apps to SDCard since the internal memory is kinda low on this device. This is my inbetween phone for getting use to android before I get the Nexus S.

If you have anything to add let me know please. :)
  13. linuzo

linuzo New Member

Any ideas??
  14. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

*bump*

I'm not that familiar with the XT300... my best guess would be that a full sbf flash would fix it, but I'm not sure how to do it on that phone, and I don't know if the ROM you flashed supports it. There are just too many things that I wouldn't be able to comfortably answer for that phone...

...anyone? I'm not sure how hosed your phone is (having trouble with recovery and bootloader comes pretty close imo), but you could try the rescue squad. Send one of them a message to see if they can't help out with this thread.
  15. linuzo

linuzo New Member

Thanks for the reply, well yeah not having a recovery menu can be bad for some reasons. However I can still boot into android so I'm not completely hosed. I figure it's just a matter of time until a fix comes. Since I am the only one on the internet talking about this phone at the moment.

On a positive note, I was able to rip out the moto blur crap and replace the launcher with launcher pro plus. Much nicer and seems to work faster now too.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  16. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    The reason why it's not working is because you don't have a Motorola Droid/2/X/other Verizon Android device Koush has developed Clockwork for.

You just completely wiped out your recover image with nothing to gain. Is there a custom recovery image for the Motorola XT300? I don't know. I haven't dug into it much, but I can tell you to stop mucking about with ROM Manager till you have confirmation Koush is supporting your phone.

My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image
  17. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator Staff Member

Fur is completely right. You have the potential to do extreme damage to your phone - turning it into an interesting looking paper weight - when you start messing around with some of these programs that let you alter your phone. I'm not familiar with the XT300, so all I can do is wish you good luck in getting things back together.

Just be careful in the future! :)

-Mike
  18. linuzo

linuzo New Member

How would I go about rebuilding a recovery menu from android SDK ?? Or learning about developing custom recoveries?? I am an active developer in Linux already so I'm sure it's not too hard to figure out..

Any pointers??
  19. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    You could try talking to Koush...

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.
Search tags for this page
android recovery menu disappeared

android recovery menu missing

android recovery no menu

i think i lost the menu
missing recovery menu
root xt300

unlock boot loader motorola xt300