i think i got in over my head...any asst appreciated (2.1 kernal questions)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by johnbwright4, Aug 11, 2010.

1. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not too long ago i finally flashed with RSD to root 2.1, i only installed a faster kernel because i dont mind a lot of the stock droid, i just wanted a faster phone. I dont think i ever installed an actual BB ROM per se, and now heres my issue.

I rcvd my OTA update for froyo, immediately did a full backup in sprecovery then after reboot went ahead with the update. Well it restarted and nothing happened, says my systems up to date, however im still just on 2.1 oc'ed to 1Ghz.

I wouldnt mind having some of the features on 2.1, but am i to understand that i will have to lose all of my personalization and apps just to do a data wipe and SPrecovery install a 2.2 rom? (which ive done before but went back to prev save because i have my phone the way i want it).

I searched for this issue but only found general threads regarding 2.2 and rooting, which i could do perfectly well on my own. Suffice to say i was hoping to just have my phone running 2.2 as near to stock as possible simply overclocked at 1Ghz where I like it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm tech savvy enough but get lost in some of the more technical aspects of scripting/ROMS/kernels when it comes to the phone.

2. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    any help at all bump

3. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I don't really understand your question...are you looking for stock 2.2 with Root Access and a 1ghz kernel?

4. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    overclocked to 1Ghz with all of my current apps & settings

5. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    If you are going from 2.1 to 2.2 that is not possible, there are Stock rooted 2.2 ROM's available here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/66278-rom-ota-froyo-frg01b-rooted.html you would have to wipe data and cache and re download your apps from the market, most of them will sync automatically then you must install an Over Clocking kernel which can be found here P3Droid Kernels and Chevy's http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/50643-get-yer-froyo-kernels-here-6-10-2010-a-6.html there are apps like app brain and titanium back-up that will greatly assist your transition from 2.1 to 2.2, but what you are asking isn't possible

6. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you SO much for your help, however u bring up another issue. Titanium says my phone isn't rooted and Terminal Emulator gives me "access denied" when typing in SU...however busybox says I am. thoughts?

7. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Did SU in Terminal work for you before you did your back up and accepted the update?

8. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it did not

9. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Do you have the Super User Ninja Icon in your app drawer?

10. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do however pushing menu gives no options and nothing's whitelisted

11. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    If this was not an issue before I would say to restore the back-up you made and see if your SU permissions come back, if not I would try flashing RSD again, although for .99 cents in the Market their is an app called easy root, never used it but apparently it works.

12. johnbwright4

johnbwright4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well sounds like my fears are accurate...ill have to wipe data/cache and install froyo and then overclock? i was trying to avoid the hassle...I would like to thank you for ur time & support, hope u dont mind if I have other questions through the process if I msg thee?

13. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    No problem, that is one of the reasons I am here, to help where I can...good luck and keep in mind, FroYo is worth it