I think I figured out why Verizon went to limited data plans

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with data usage.

Their 3G was so slow that most people jumped on WIFI as soon as it was available. But they started getting killed in marketing by AT&T for 3G speed. So when they set-up their 4G network they made sure it was fast in order to head-off AT&T's marketing about speed.

The problem is that 4G is so fast that most people on unlimited plans would no longer bother jumping on WIFI anymore. This meant that their network usage was going to go up exponentially.

Enter the tiered data plans. The point isn't to generate more revenue, it is to control consumer usage. 2 GB and 4 GB plans mean people will jump on WIFI when available to try to keep their usage below the limit.

Kind of smart on Big Red's part really. Make your 4G faster than WIFI, but set-up your data plans to try to get people to jump on WIFI as much as possible. Advertise the fastest 4G network, grandfather unlimited users in to avoid a customer service nightmare. I have to say, well played by Verizon.

ex0rcist

Reaction score

Their 3G was so slow that most people jumped on WIFI as soon as it was available. But they started getting killed in marketing by AT&T for 3G speed. So when they set-up their 4G network they made sure it was fast in order to head-off AT&T's marketing about speed.

The problem is that 4G is so fast that most people on unlimited plans would no longer bother jumping on WIFI anymore. This meant that their network usage was going to go up exponentially.

Enter the tiered data plans. The point isn't to generate more revenue, it is to control consumer usage. 2 GB and 4 GB plans mean people will jump on WIFI when available to try to keep their usage below the limit.

Kind of smart on Big Red's part really. Make your 4G faster than WIFI, but set-up your data plans to try to get people to jump on WIFI as much as possible. Advertise the fastest 4G network, grandfather unlimited users in to avoid a customer service nightmare. I have to say, well played by Verizon.

Even tho at&ts 3g cant hold a candle to vzw. Js ;).

ex0rcist

Reaction score
AT&T's 3G was faster than VZW, no doubt. The problem was getting on AT&T's 3G network! :D

Idk about back then, been with vzw for a loooong time .. but now vzws 3g is pretty much unmatched. :D by other 3g networks.. anyhow.

Kimo91

Reaction score
AT&T's 3G was faster than VZW, no doubt. The problem was getting on AT&T's 3G network! :D

Yeah seriously where? Their 4G service is only 3G on crack LOL

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

jacobjer

Reaction score
4g with big red had been nothing to brag about the past month or so. Also, even with unlimited data I watch my usage....just because.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

tituswife

Reaction score

Makes a lot of sense! Kudos. ;)

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

Kimo91

Reaction score
4g with big red had been nothing to brag about the past month or so. Also, even with unlimited data I watch my usage....just because.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Honestly that just depends what part of the country you're in that were affected...me being in south Carolina didn't experience any of the 4G data droppage at all and for me with my experience with 4G, its a lot faster than I thought it would ever be. Just saying

tituswife

Reaction score
A transplanted Cornhusker! Hello from cold and snowy Nebraska!

Legonin

Reaction score
they went to tier data because eventually everything is going to run off data, there wont be such a thing as you have x amount of minutes or x amount of texts. It will all be regulated by data. you will also see data caps go up some time within the next couple of year to allow for the switch over.

Kimo91

Reaction score
A transplanted Cornhusker! Hello from cold and snowy Nebraska!

Actually I'm transplanted from Hawaii but been a Big Red fan since 1986 :)

azdrifter

Reaction score
I read an article months before the tier plan was made public and they were concerned on the issue of taking on the Iphone and if it was going to congest the network and that is why they would have to design a service plan to accomodate the current users and the expected millions of future Iphone users "according to their research" and then viola suddenly Verizon announces tiered data plans.Hmmm I guess that the Millions of Iphone users on Verizon pushed this idea ? LOL

I honestly think that VZW was thinking they would be sigining up in throngs to buy the Iphone but sales didn't come cose to what they had expected but i expect that they were not going to retract the tiered plans after that anyhow?
Could be wrong?