I think I Bricked my phone? HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droid noobie, Feb 14, 2010.

1. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

I was in the process of flashing it again because I lost the weather bug and the tool bar with wifi,bluttooth,tether,ect. I was going to choose my setting on which ones I wanted to keep. I wanted to read a little to see if i could install the 4.1 smoked glass and when I went back to my phone it was off. it does not turn on. Thanks

Removed battery already
    Put charger on phone,light does come on

Here is the menu I was in the flash stage
    example
    (x)email
    (x)facebook
  2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Pull the battery and put it back in......hold x and power buttonn and boot into recovery...

Restore a nandroid backup from there
  3. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

I tried that already and nothing happen

Push power and x and held it and nothing
    push x and pressed power button and nothing-

Thanks for the input
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Well you're supposed to press x first and then the power button...and hold it for a few seconds

Just keep pulling the battery and retrying...I seen someone that did this and kept doing that and finally it worked....

And by the way, did you have a low battery before you tried flashing the ROM?
  5. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

It was in the green low side...I done rom flash in red. Maybe it drained my battery when i was reading for 30min and I didnt even know...Im going to let it charge for 20min and see if that takes care of it. Thanks
  6. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Okay man.....good luck I would hate to hear of the 1st truly bricked Droid.... :(

I think it will be okay as long as there is a good backup in your nandroid folder on the sdcard right now as we speak....hopefully you made one...
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

charge it overnight... when the phone can't boot it charges VERY slowly and the charge time is ridiculous. Just plug it in and leave it until the morning... You'll be fine... a lot of people have done this and after a few hours of charging it will come back.
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Highly doubt he's bricked, although there is a reason you are supposed to do this with a full battery. Maybe I should put that in my guide.
  9. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

Thanks for your input...I hope Im not the first bricked phone of droid history that will some funny ****.

I didnt make a back of anything-Im noob that jumped in with sharks. I flashed my roms maybe about 10-15 playing with different settings.LOL
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

He didn't 'brick' it but I've seen this several times now across the various forums I visit. Something about the main power management system just does NOT like even a partially charged battery (or at least one that's not near max)... and to make matters worse it takes FOREVER to charge the battery when/if the phone won't boot so people tend to jump to conclusions. I've seen one guy have to leave his phone charge for a full 12 hrs, then presto full boot. I think Moto mentions on their support that it may take 5+ hours for the phone to become bootable.

As long as the phone will boot to the white Moto logo the phone is recoverable (though it may require a trip to a VZW store) but I've yet to see anyone actually brick a Droid yet. That's because the method(s) that we are using on still on 'top' of the primary boot loader and apparently the SPL cannot corrupt the primary boot image:icon_ banana:. So it would take a LOT of screwing around at a very DEEP level (i.e. you would have to be purposesly trying to overwrite the primary boot image) to brick one of these devices. This is a VERY WELCOMED change from older WM devices... if you even looked at some of those while you were flashing you had a truely bricked device.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  11. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

its alive...thank you all for your input
  12. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

You didn't make a nandroid backup????

What is the first statement of every single ROM instruction guide????

Dude....I don't know what to tell you, cause obviously the ROM you were trying to flash had some problems flashing and isn't going to flash...and you don't have a backup to fall back on in case of user error (WHICH DOES HAPPEN)...

That's the entire point of SPRecovery being invented! So that we can do these things and have a very useful way to recover from trial and error...
  13. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Well I'm glad it's working again man......

BUT MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO TRY ANYTHING!!!!
  14. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

I thought sholes mod did this for you-Everytime i flash it says spr recovery backing up.So I thought thats all I had to do.
  15. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Well you just mentioned something about the 4.1 Smoked Glass ROM...you never mentioned anything about the Sholes app....

Yeah using that app will make a nandroid backup for you, but nothing else will
  16. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

sorry buddy...It turned on but its making start from scratch. Like if it was a new phone-

I pressed x and power and it booted to the sholes mod and I what should I do to restore my phone. It give me option to

roboot system now
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cahe partition
    backup/restore

I assume to press back up then it take me to this
    simple nandroid back up
    simple advanced restore-latest-
    advanced nandroid backup
    advanced nandroid restore
  17. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah just select advanced nandroid backup and backup everything, its not necessary to check off all the options but just to be safe I always do lol

And that recovery screen that you're in is not the SholesMod app.....what you're in is SPRecovery

The app is what is in your app drawer and takes you to the part that says "We are ready to flash the ROM" but after it reboots right there, it takes you to SPRecovery......just wanted to make sure you knew what they were
  18. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

I pressed back up and when I press reboot it goes into factory reset mode and ask for gmail info...

Can some one walk me through the restore process.

Things I did-
    Went android advanced back up and checked everything that was done and took me back to the check list of items to back up.

What next in Sprecovery?
  19. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

When it brought you to the gmail setup process that was right......I have to do that all the time when I flash these ROMs and wipe data....
  20. droid noobie

droid noobie New Member

Okay I got my contacts up and running but no apps,or messages. Should I restore again and with diffrent file or just be happy I got my contacts back.LOL