I think Droid X is the biggest size we can handle?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by razorseal, Jun 19, 2010.

1. razorseal

razorseal New Member

I mean overall physical size wise... I was looking at the dell streak, and that 5 inch thing is just too big. if someone came out with a 5 inch phone, I don't think anyone would buy it, because it wouldn't fit in some pockets... it's that big. and since X is tiny bit bigger than the evo, I guess we have reached a limit on these kind of phones... and that's what 4.3 something inches?

just thought about it... now I guess they're gonna start getting small again lol
  2. JhankG

JhankG New Member

That's what she said.
  3. justreboot

justreboot New Member

remember kiddies, your droid can be used as a floatation device.
  4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

They could go bigger, but then people wouldn't be able to fit them in their pockets... to me, 4.3 would be big enough to watch a movie on but on the verge of not being able to fit in a pocket. Ik it wouldn't fit in mine very well...
  5. Mule65

Mule65 Member

The DX is basically half inch taller than Droid - BFD.
  6. hoax

hoax New Member

Keep in mind chicks usually carry their phone in a purse.
  7. Bdog

Bdog New Member

Women often carry their phones in their purses, men often wear looser fitting jeans, and there are enough clips and holsters and accessories (that I have too many ripped belt loops to ever recommend) out there, that the issue of a large phone not being able to fit into their pocket isn't going to be that big. Sure, I know some girls who put their phones in their back pocket, or tuck it in their bra, and a few guys with pants so tight you can see an outline of their thunderdome, but it's not the largest demographic.

Besides, with the increasing number of smartphones coming out, it's all still brand new. Phone developers are still in a trial and error period, trying to find things that work, and things that don't. If a phone is too large for your preference, don't buy it. Even if you're a fanboy of said product. If enough people find it to be too much, companies will cut back, or at least make another version (come on, how many Droids are releasing this year??) to appeal more to its audience.

Also, as a new technology, things are a little clunky right now. As time goes on, internal parts will get smaller, and so will the overall size of phones again. Give it a few years and our phones will fit into the palms of our hands again.
  8. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

I'm really curious to see how the Galaxy S and any other phone that comes out at the 4" range feels. That falls right in the middle of the Droid and the Droid X. My personal opinion, which prolly doesn't mean chit I may add, is that a 4" screen would be a great sweet spot between the 3.7 and 4.3.
  9. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

I wear carpenter pants for work and always put the phone in the largest right outside leg pocket as it's the perfect place to avoid damage. The Droid is just about as wide as I can fit for most of my jeans now, if it's longer I could deal with it but wider I'm screwed.
  10. Mule65

Mule65 Member

The DroidX will fit better in your pocket than your Droid because it's thinner:

Droid = 2.36 * 0.54 = 1.27 area
    DroidX = 2.50 * 0.39 = 0.98 area
  11. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i personally would mind a phone the size of the dell streak its almost tablet status as well as pocket sized status but i personally like bigger phones i dont like smaller phones cause i cant feel them in my pockets and i think i lost them

i would probably by the droid x if i had the money but then i would want the next phone thats out and i dont have money trees...yet...
  12. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Anything worth doing is worth over doing.

As long as it will fit in the back pocket of my Levis, I'll buy and carry it. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  13. Droids

Droids New Member

Wouldn't mind if screen sizes increase a bit more than 4.3 but the overall size of the Droid X is probably about the limit. In time we'll see larger screens with smaller bezels, and higher resolutions, but 2.5" x 5" might be the largest overall size we can be comfortable with. I occansionaly carry the Droid in my pocket but it's usually in a holster. I don't like bulky stuff in my pockets. Due to the thinness of the Droid X I think I could pocket it ok.
  14. Talon8Ya

Talon8Ya Member

I would like to see a 5" screen myself. Very easily doable if they eliminate the stupid bezel's that add another 3/4 or more to the size overall.
    The screen on my Droid is so sharp and clear that I can only imagine how nice it would be at 5".
  15. Johnly

Johnly Guest

I agree, 4.3 is very pocket-able. I would buy 5.0.
  16. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

want a 5.0...
  17. jdk2

jdk2 Member

The bezel is probably there for structural support. Additionally, with the screen being so big and the phone thickness being very slim, there may be an issue carrying it in anything but a holster. It can't take the stress of bending very gracefully or for long :blink:
  18. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

A guy at work just got an HTC HD2. I was playing with it today for about 10 minutes. When I picked up my Droid afterward it felt tiny and the screen looked so small. Come on July whenever!!!
  19. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

If it's wider then it's irrelevant how thick it is. Promise.
  20. NeutronBomb

NeutronBomb New Member

Speak for yourself. 4.3 is perfect and I wouldn't mind even a little larger. MOAR SCREEEEEEEN!!!!
Search tags for this page

droids biggest phone

largest droid phone

largest physical size smart phone
size dimensions razor dildo
toobigforbabes