I think a "non dev" cracked the Bootloader

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
I haven't really tested for sure but i'll tell ya'll what happened. I am here at work on an overnight construction shift. I just finished SBF with the latest "full" 2.3.340 sbf. I made a stock backup of the rom. I was messing with my phone as usual then I loaded wjd's gallery mod and my custom boot logo. My phone would not load up and I remembered one or both hose mods are not compatible with a stock rom. I thought I was sol because lap top is home (30 minutes away). I begin to think cause I feel handicapped without my dx. I booted into stock recovery and wiped data and cache. Dx would not load up. For the hec of it, I put phone into sbf mode as if I was about to sbf. For s&g , I believe I pushed the power button only then the sbf mode disappeared and CW came up. I almost screamed . I thought it was too good to be true and I loaded my Liberty backup and OMG, it worked. I will try to duplicate this when I get home but I believe I did the "inevitable" . I didn't use bootstrapper to get into CW so I DEFINITELY did something .

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
Glad you got it back up and running.....but the bootloader is still locked. It doesnt happen by "accident".

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, I doubt it is cracked. It's not going to happen by accident.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Yeah, you just triggered it to load up the already-installed CW again. The only way that CW is a "better" CW is only if you have a custom-compiled version of it and know some things that nobody else knows.

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
The bootloader is what the OG Droid b has right? Before I go any further making a fool of myself, explain to me exactly what a "tru bootloader is" and the normal method of getting there!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
An unlocked bootloader allows for fully flashing an alternate recovery or new kernel.

tappin and a talkin

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
So how the hec did I get into "Bootloader" w/out bootstrapper?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cm isn't the bootloader, its just a custom recovery and since it hijacks part of the boot process you don't always need bootstrap to get in to it.

tappin and a talkin

XDRDX

Reaction score
If you have ever bootstrapped before then you have a preboot CW recovery already installed to the preinstall directory that takes precedence. You will find if you power off your phone after it was bootstrapped and remove the battery for about 5 minutes and power it back on then it will boot into CW recovery before letting you fully boot. Also if you bootstrap then power off then plug it into the charger you will go into recovery prior to fully booting as well. This is a recovery feature that remains until you format /system, or SBF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
Spaz and XD, thanks. Forum moderator can just close out this thread cuz I've officially made a fool of myself..lol..thanks for the edumacation ya'll:)