I Swear I ain't CRAZY ....

Getaphixx

Reaction score
No an antivirus will just slow your phone down consistently. The 2 things you don't need are Antivirus and Task Killers.

Task Killer is debatable!

For as many that say "You Just Don't Need One!"

I can tell you.. YES.. In some cases YOU DO!

You know it's debatable... So do I...

(said my piece!)

koralyne

Reaction score
Ok. So, I do have the antivirus with the pill icon installed. You're saying that if I only download from the Droid Marketplace I really don't need it?

I have also installed the advanced task manager. You're also saying I don't need that to kill apps that are running in the background? I'm mostly concerned here about battery life, which, if you pair with a bluetooth headset, lasts almost an entire day.

If you either, download from the marketplace, OR, are smart with your manual downloads, then you should be 99% okay.

the taskkiller isnt needed to kill programs in the background.
1) those background programs dont take battery life.
2) go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications to force close any app you think is messing with your system.

what i do is, i have ATK, and i only boot it up when i need to kill a program fast. i also kill ATK when ive killed all the other apps i need to.

if taskkillers are running, they can sometimes mess with other apps. For instance, i had Apollo task killer, and it switched my alt functions. when alt was off, handcent typed in alt. when alt was on, it did the opposite. really frustrating till i figured that out. uninstalled apollo and it worked fine.

randkb

Reaction score
So why does it seem that if I drag apps to the trashcan they don't go away and only if I use the free advanced task manager can I get rid of them?

koralyne

Reaction score
So why does it seem that if I drag apps to the trashcan they don't go away and only if I use the free advanced task manager can I get rid of them?
. The trashcan is to get rid of shortcuts, not kill tasks.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
K
So why is it out there in the marketplace? Is the Android OS that secure?

Potential reasons:
Ad revenue
Junk like so many other applications in the market
Clowns everywhere taking over the world, also known as McDonalds

I'm sure these AV programs do something against your will, possibly without any notification.

It's pretty typical of someone to develop an application to play off novice computer users f'ear of viruses deleting the interwebz and eating your megahurtz!

Disregard this post as useful information after the first two lines.

biskit_earl

Reaction score
Seasoned DROID user, but new to the forum. Woot!

Anyways, here are a few things I will offer based on my own experience.

1. You only need taskiller if you don't want to reboot your phone frequently.
-I've seen too many people buy Droids and ask me the next day, "Why does it
run slow?" The answer I give them: "Because your phone is running EVERY
SINGLE app you have installed."

2. The Android OS is linux based. Linux is pretty secure. Not invulnerable, but pretty secure. It's pretty hard to get malware, viruses, adware, etc. on these phones. You would have to be TRYING to get these issues, and even in the case that you get infected, the OS is still pretty safe, though you would need to be worried about your information and data.

3.If you ever need to install an app from an unsupported source, make sure you disable unknown sources when you are done.

4.Most of the apps in the official android market should be secure and trusted by Google. This doesn't mean that all of them are of use. Yes, antivirus is a trusted app, but you don't need it, if anything, it's one of the last things you need.

I hope this info helps answer a couple questions. :)

Ciao! ^_^

eshef

Reaction score
I swear I ain't CRAZY

There's a free app from the market called Owner. It shows up on your screen when it's locked. You can put a name & phone # to call if someone finds your phone.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's a free app from the market called Owner. It shows up on your screen when it's locked. You can put a name & phone # to call if someone finds your phone.

I like Contact Owner much better than Owner.

eshef

Reaction score
LOL. I'd checked my app drawer for the name and it said Owner, but I just checked the market for Contact Owner and it says Installed :icon_eek:

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
LOL. I'd checked my app drawer for the name and it said Owner, but I just checked the market for Contact Owner and it says Installed :icon_eek:

See? I knew you'd figure it out!!! :D