I Swear I ain't CRAZY ....

Sterl's

Reaction score
So I recently did a manual update on my droid and so far all is well but …
wondering if any one experienced the following. After the successful update & reboot I had the
2 following messages on my display (not the notification bar) “this phone belongs to” & “protected by antivirus” (sandwiched in between is the alarm clock symbol). Looked for some time to find a setting
in the phone itself that would allow me to put my name @ the end of the “this phone belongs to” message but found nothing.
Later in the day I notice neither message was being displayed (keep in mind it was only showing when waking the phone up) and BAM now they are back.
So anyone else noticing this and any one know how to add your name to the 1 message?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Sterl's! So what anitvirus app did you download? I would suspect that's your culprit right there. Droids don't need anitvirus and from all reports they drag the OS down to a crawl and cause all kinds of other problems.

And you is crazy, I can tell... :D

OP
S

Sterl's

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Sterl's! So what anitvirus app did you download? I would suspect that's your culprit right there. Droids don't need anitvirus and from all reports they drag the OS down to a crawl and cause all kinds of other problems.

And you is crazy, I can tell... :D

Thanks for the welcome and the replay Anne.
The Antivirus app is by droidSecurity, been using it since I got the phone in Nov. with out any issues nor dragin' of the OS.
I don't mid the "protected by Antivirus" message, was more curious about adding my name to the
“this phone belongs to” message and if other had these messages show sometime and not show others.

And a 'lil crazy ani't ever been a BAD thing
:icon_ banana:

berlyn

Reaction score
same. i uninstalled my anti-virus, but when it's locked it's still showing this phone belongs to: i wanna put my name there, any suggestions??

Tom65

Reaction score
Found this thread because this was bugging me also. The antivirus comment gave me the clue. Open antivirus AP, press menu, choose settings, choose remote settings then lost phone settings and edit info.

OP
S

Sterl's

Reaction score
Bingo !

Found this thread because this was bugging me also. The antivirus comment gave me the clue. Open antivirus AP, press menu, choose settings, choose remote settings then lost phone settings and edit info.

Duh !, indeed I should have followed the "clue" thanks for the help and no i have on less thing to ponder.

randkb

Reaction score
antivirus or not?

So does the Droid need antivirus or not? I don't want to load apps that I don't need.

randkb

Reaction score
So why is it out there in the marketplace? Is the Android OS that secure?

koralyne

Reaction score
what they mean is, you cant get a virus or anything unless you download and install a harmful app. This can be done by downloading a .apk on your computer (or droid) and installing it using something like linda file manager. the official android app store is mostly secure, and will inform you of any services the app uses. So if an app uses a service it shouldnt use, then the app might be bad.

Really though, its the same for pc's too, you just gotta be smarter with computers. you almost have to TRY to find malware for android.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
So does the Droid need antivirus or not? I don't want to load apps that I don't need.

No an antivirus will just slow your phone down consistently. The 2 things you don't need are Antivirus and Task Killers.

mkraffert

Reaction score
Somehow antivirus has been installed on your phone. Search 'antivirus' in the market and select the one with the orange and white capsule. That's what is installed on your phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

randkb

Reaction score
Ok. So, I do have the antivirus with the pill icon installed. You're saying that if I only download from the Droid Marketplace I really don't need it?

I have also installed the advanced task manager. You're also saying I don't need that to kill apps that are running in the background? I'm mostly concerned here about battery life, which, if you pair with a bluetooth headset, lasts almost an entire day.