I solved my battery drain issue. Here's how...

squeak

Reaction score
When I got my note 3 it had excellent battery life. I was only charging it every other day. After a few weeks it got where it was barely lasting a whole day. I'd often put it on the charger in with less than 5% left. Besides the screen my biggest drains were android os and android system. I took out my sd card and left it out and shut the phone down and did a battery pull. It is back to having excellent battery life. I don't plan to put the sd card back in, but I wonder if formatting the sd card would have helped. I hope this helps someone else.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
When I got my note 3 it had excellent battery life. I was only charging it every other day. After a few weeks it got where it was barely lasting a whole day. I'd often put it on the charger in with less than 5% left. Besides the screen my biggest drains were android os and android system. I took out my sd card and left it out and shut the phone down and did a battery pull. It is back to having excellent battery life. I don't plan to put the sd card back in, but I wonder if formatting the sd card would have helped. I hope this helps someone else.

Interesting. I've heard of (and experienced myself), removing the SIM card solving strange problems, but not the SD card fixing battery issues. I am completely open-minded so hey, anyone having battery problems, give this possible solution a try! Thanks Squeak!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
A corrupt or bad/fake SD card is absolutely a reason for very high Google services use % and can cause very serious battery drain. Good detective work.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I've seen a few people come across this problem now. I'm glad you got it worked out. My friends tried to format their cards and it seemed to work temporarily. They both ended up buying new cards and have not had a problem since.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Awesome! Isn't this forum great?! :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
squeak

squeak

Reaction score
I have an OG Droid laying around and I pulled the SD card directly out of it and put it in my Note 3 a few weeks ago. All the files seemed to be there and working and at first I didn't realize the connection between the card and my battery problem. I also installed the Google Keyboard around the same time and assumed that it was the cause of the problem. I uninstalled it and that didn't fix anything, so I uninstalled almost all of the downloaded apps I had with out any luck. I was trying to think of any other changes I had made and I remembered that I had put the SD card in. I also shut the phone down and pulled the battery so I knew that it would be a fresh restart. My battery lasts twice as long as it did when I was having the problem.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I have an OG Droid laying around and I pulled the SD card directly out of it and put it in my Note 3 a few weeks ago. All the files seemed to be there and working and at first I didn't realize the connection between the card and my battery problem. I also installed the Google Keyboard around the same time and assumed that it was the cause of the problem. I uninstalled it and that didn't fix anything, so I uninstalled almost all of the downloaded apps I had with out any luck. I was trying to think of any other changes I had made and I remembered that I had put the SD card in. I also shut the phone down and pulled the battery so I knew that it would be a fresh restart. My battery lasts twice as long as it did when I was having the problem.

Now might I ask if you'd possibly want to back up the info on the SD card, format it, put the data back on and see if it still helped??

KaChow

Reaction score
Now might I ask if you'd possibly want to back up the info on the SD card, format it, put the data back on and see if it still helped??

The Samsung Note 3 has a different file design than Motorola has as any other Carrier would have, I noticed this the minute I Rooted my device. I happen to like the Motorola layout better as it pulls from a simple 'Internal/ExternalSD' or 'SDCard/SDCard1' while Samsung pulls the Internal from 'sdcard', or 'storage/emulated/0', or 'storage/emulated/legacy', or 'storage/sdcard0' and External is pulled only from 'storage/extSdCard'. So, you can certainly see why just pulling an SD card from a previous device and plugging it into a new Note 3 would cause some Battery drain as nothing is lining up.

I usually have 2 suggestions if you plan on taking a previous SD card and using it in the new phone. First, don't put it in the device copy the entire Card to a folder on your computer. Then put the card in your device, and let your device Format and completely FORMAT your card. Then connect your device via USB and start copying files over correctly. Second, if you have Root, download this app, SD-Booster set it to the max default as our device is not a dual core. A little pick up from the SD card can go a long way. :biggrin:

Crixus

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Who would have thought that such things drain the battery so fast.

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
How about posting the brand(s) of SD cards everyone finds that don't play well.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pick a brand name from a reputable source and the chances are very good that you won't have a problem. There are more out there than I can list. If the name isn't something you are familiar with or you purchased it from an off brand site that's where you may have an issue.

OP
squeak

squeak

Reaction score
My card is a San disk 16gb class 2 card that came with my either my Droid or Droid X. It seems to work fine, all the files are there and nothing shows up as corrupt. As KaChow said I think it's a formatting issue.

Palle Hansen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I have had the same problem and I took out the SD-card and indexing-service went down in CPU usage. I then added the SD-card and indexing went vild again. I then found out that I have just recently added 12 .avi files and I then deleted those 12 files and wauv all of of a sudden the indexing service finished off using CPU. I hav ethen later on added some .avi files again with out any problem.