I retired my Original Droid. What non-telephone ROMS are out there to repurpose it?

Leeds

Reaction score
What are all of you doing with your retired Droids?

I'd like to keep my old Droid alive to surf the web, host audio/video clips, and perhaps an occasional skype call (although I'm not really sure about that use).

Is there a ROM available that strips out all of the 3G and telephone firmware and leaves a nice clean iPod+websurfing interface?

Thanks in advance!

OP
L

Leeds

Reaction score
I just checked out the version 9 release notes for Steel Droid.

It seems like a very nice ROM, but it doesn't seem like it is built for a non-telephone style setup. I don't even want the cell phone transceivers to power up since I'm not using the droid as a telephone now that it has been replaced.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There aren't any non-telephone ROMs that I've heard of to be honest. You can always use airplane mode. Battery lasts about a week if you have airplane mode on and don't touch it much. Ask me how I know... ;)

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah to my knowledge there isn't a rom that is specifically made for a phone that is a glorified media player but like the above post said go into airplane mode and use wifi.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

davros

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Skye and google voice still need service to make calls. You can trick voice into thinking it has service and send texts. Maps is worthless with out wifi or service. I put my two D1's in my drawer next to my G1. They are sleeping now after a hard working over for 2 years.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ishbale

Reaction score
Ive done some searching for you and this is your best bet its still buggy and in alpha it doesnt have phone access and what not lol here you go ​D1 | T3hH4xx0r

ggtus

Reaction score
Many people, including myself, still have the droid1 as there daily driver for many reasons. so developers of roms are still using the phone and put the phone and signal parts in so that the rom is fully functional and has no bugs or missing pieces. Also the droid was designed as a phone and in the event of an emergency even phones without service can place calls to emergency response centers. So finding a rom without phone or messaging capabilities will be hard to do. but here are a few ways to lighten up a fully functioning rom for your needs

Since your droid is rooted you could purchase a copy of root explorer and manually delete the phone and messaging apk from the applications list.
also in Jamezelles section of the custom roms forum his fro yo sense port does not handle 3g well and only really works with wifi signals.

I recommend the first option with just finding a rom that you find suitable and quick and delete what you find is unnecessary. I always go through and delete car home and other unneeded/unused apps

scheevs

Reaction score
I was also looking for a ROM that was stripped down for a Droid that is now only on Wi-Fi. Was thinking I could use it for streaming music, alarm clock, games, etc. Real basic stuff. Maybe it's too early to start looking for this type of ROM, but I would imagine that within the near future something will come out.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Your best bet is to just use your favorite rom and keep the phone in airplane mode. Like the other guy said, in airplane mode with not much use your phone will last a very long time.

I have my D1 in airplane mode sitting in the desk dock not plugged in and its still @ 85% battery since I retired it on Thursday. It doesn't get any use except as my alarm clock and check email real quick in the morning. Wifi is on.

If you don't want to delete apk's rename them with .bak this way you can add them back if you ever need too.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

zealious

Reaction score
Good day.

Great question. I think we will be seeing this question come up more frequently now that a lot of og droids are getting upgrades.

IMO i would run miui.us rom if you havent yet its pretty snazzy.

Oh and I would not recomend deleting the phone and mesaging apks a lot of that stuff is required by android and u will getting a FC a thon

It would be pretty neat if there was a media player only rom out there maybe we will see it..

mp3droid

I knnow there are some android based media players out there.. maybe porting that to the droid would be a viable option. I am not fimiliar how they handle phone and messaging.

In other news though Im trying to find out how to flash the droid to sprint or boost mobile... I know there has to be a way. probly esn cloning will be called for not sure.

zealious

Reaction score
Ive done some searching for you and this is your best bet its still buggy and in alpha it doesnt have phone access and what not lol here you go ​D1 | T3hH4xx0r

how is a buggy honeycomb port at all realated to what the op is attempting?

for media i think a over clocked miui will be nice. thats what I run on my nook color and it works great for media. even netflix works.

Oh yea I also have my camera button remaped to play/pause music. that is prett sweet. i think u can also remap the search button. other than that a good lock screen media player is nice.

View attachment 44265

Last edited:

B-Unit

Reaction score
Sorry to drag this back up, but Im looking to do something similar, yet different. I want to use my OG Droid and car dock as a GPS/Music Player, and would like to similarly install a mimimal ROM that clears out the celular software.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to drag this back up, but Im looking to do something similar, yet different. I want to use my OG Droid and car dock as a GPS/Music Player, and would like to similarly install a mimimal ROM that clears out the celular software.

Just throw that puppy in airplane mode. I get 6 hours of playback for 3 days in a row on my now 2 year old battery.

You would just need a GPS app with preloaded maps (like loaded to SD).

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Yea, Im actually testing that way now, was just hoping that there might be a purpose built ROM out there. Found that WiFi still works in airplane mode, and power is a non-issue in the car dock as I have multiple power points, so the plan for GPS is Google maps/navigation via tether to the D4. dancedroid