I really wanted to like it but...the KB sucks!

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I've tried it and just can't get the hang of it. The virtual one works great for everything I need though :)

sir

Reaction score
i love both physical and virtual keyboards, but i will say that I *ALWAYS* hit the "U" instead of the "I" using the portrait keyboard.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i have started to use it. Just like when the landscape keyboard came out on iphone I was super stoked....but I used it the way it was for so long I never used it.

ToddP0530

Reaction score
I like the keyboard. It was one of the selling points for me and I played with the keyboard before buying the phone. Love having the choice of using all three keyboards. It takes some getting used to, though.

DaHarder

Reaction score
I see the hardware keyboard as an option, NOT an imperative since the on-screen keyboard is so beautifully implemented.

Hint: The DROID gives one a choice of input options, both vialbe/useful, which is so much more than my last handset (iPhone 3gs) ever did.

J

JohnDroid

I've tried it and just can't get the hang of it. The virtual one works great for everything I need though :)

Loving the Kenny Powers avatar....

But, physical keyboard user here too. I prefer it over the virtual. Guess I just like actually being able to feel the keys I touch. Took me a couple days to get used to it, but its fine.

1dp3655

Reaction score
On the virtual keyboard, is there a cursor-like function similar to the real keyboard to go back a few words to correct a typo. Tapping with my fat fingers to a letter in the middle of the word gets tough. I just end up deleting the word and retyping it and then tapping back at end of sentence. Real keyboard seems harder than virtual and I come from the BB curve so I thought I would hate virtual.

hazydave

Reaction score
It's a great option

I like the keyboard... more than I did a week ago, fer shure.

It takes some getting used to, but I think that's true of any phone/PDA physical keyboard... it's inherently a compromise. If it weren't, it would be a foot-and-a-half wide, and include a jog shuttle, numeric keypad, and a few spare USB ports, just like the Bella DV keyboard on my desktop machine.

When I started on the Palm Treo 700p, I hated the keyboard. By the time it died, I hated it too, but in-between, I liked it. The fact that you have your choice of physical and virtual on the DROID just rocks. If I need to enter a few letters, the virtual KBD is fine (also, try voice recognition if you haven't.. it rocks... just wish the input options were more consistent).

For anything long, or when I'd actually like to see what's on the screen, the physical keyboard can't be beat. I don't think I would have opted for a thickerer phone just to get a thicker keyboard... this one's fine. My main issue is that I hand a tendency to swipe the screen with spare fingers while using the keyboard.. sometimes moving focus away. At least it's still there running, as I left it.

There will definitely be a little of the whole muscle-memory thing, learning this keyboard versus other micro-keyboards. As a guitar player, I can attest to the fact I've learned input systems far more torturous. I don't see how else they could have keyboard and "thin" in the same unit.

tlq

Reaction score
I honestly don't use the KB much, I could do without it. I enjoy the on screen one. I havent had too much problem using the KB though. Took a little getting use to but yah.

phatkat66

Reaction score
my opinion

I like the keyboard the whole night i been browsing the forums i been using it to reply. But what i love the most is that its an OPTION to use. And the added weight is welcomed in my hands. When its in my pocket i know its in my pocket and when im holding it... i feel like im holding a real great piwce of equipment. Not just some slab of screen lol.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Hey BigD I am more in your boat than the "I like it". I have big hands/fingers, and although my fingers aren't fat, they easily span 2 keys, sometimes three (my thumb). I can type ok on it, but I do often hit other keys.

So try this..this is what I found works for me the best. I use two fingers..that's it. I use my thumb on the left side, and my fore finger on the right side. I didn't expect to be able to type very fast on it anyway nor do I like to type much on my phone if at all possible. I text message sometimes, but otherwise avoid it as much as possible. Anyway, I find that this allows me to mostly avoid hitting more than one key and if I don't go too fast, I usually am pretty accurate with it.

JasLoves

Reaction score
I like the keyboard. It took a day or two to get used to, but now I can type at a pretty good speed. I use it more than I use the virtual keyboard just because I have the option. Both are good for me.