I Need Your Help/Input

SBacklin

Reaction score
Some of you might have seen me post about the crazy signal issues that I have had on my Eris..well both of them actually that was there before and after the update. Anyway, my brother had just got a Moto Droid. He stopped by and I was able to check out the signal while he was here at my house. His Moto has its update...it shows the full signal like the rest of the VZW phones. He has the same PRL as me. So that leaves two possible causes. The obvious difference in hardware is one or it could be the difference in software from 1.5 to 2.0.1. That is where I need advice. I'm still within my 30 day window. Do you think its a hardware defect or a software defect that will be patched when 2.1 is released for the Eris? Should I keep my Eris and wait or trade? I like the Eris but risk being stuck with a phone that has a hardware defect.

Benton

Reaction score
This might be hardware and worth going to VZW store to see if they will exchange for you. I have Moto Droid and Eris, both have same signal strength side by side at my house.

OP
S

SBacklin

Reaction score
I think its a software issue and the reason why I say that because the my Eris will show full signal in certain areas where the signal is really saturated. I think its just not calibrated correctly which would explain why it would show full if say standing next to a tower but, in other areas the signal shows really weak. I hope that makes sense, lol.

mhotovec

Reaction score
Can you make and receive calls where the phone shows a weak signal? If so, then you don't really have a problem. Many folks have reported this as a display problem, not really a signal problem. Meaning the phone has a good signal, but it just won't/can't light up the correct number of bars. Inside at my house our cell phone signal is very week (it's better outside). All previous Verizon phones we've had (dumb phones) could just barely hang on to the signal - every now and then we'd drop a call. Both my wife and I now have an Eris and we're able to make calls inside our house with them, and have yet to drop a call. However the phone shows no bars at all, as though it didn't have a signal. So in MY experience the phone works just fine, it just doesn't display correctly.