I need some help making a custom notification bar. Please!

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by jpar63, Feb 18, 2010.

1. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. This is my first post on the forum, I would like to start out by saying thanks to everybody for putting in time and effort to share Droid info. Now, I am having a problem with trying to make a custom notification bar, here is what I have done; A) I pull a copy of the framework-res.apk off the phone, B) Change the name of the statusbar_background.9.png to statusbar_background.png, C) Do my editing in Photoshop CS4, D) Using the Draw9patch I put the left and top borders on (as directed by eclipse when trying to add to drawable-hdpi) and save as framework-res.9.png, E) Using Eclipse, I open a new project as Android 2.01 (what I am running) and add the modified .9.png to the drawable-hdpi folder, F) Right-clicking project, I choose Android Tools and export as unsigned package, G) I then copy and paste the modified .9.png(s) I want, to a copy of my framework-res.apk, H) I push the framework-res.apk to the /system/framework directory, using stright cmd prompt (no busy box). Up 'till this point everything goes smooth, that is untill I hit "reboot". My phone goes into some sort of loop just after the red Droid eye comes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy. Do I have to export as signed package in Eclipse (Don't know how), Does the new .9.png have to be the exact same size as the original (I don't think so) or are the size constraints? I have noticed in some of the custom bars here that the bar is created in a different dimension (already stretched accross). Thanks for taking the time to help me and keep up the great work. Once I figure this out I will be posting some of my work (I hope....LOL)

2. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't have to be the same file size, although I try to get the pixel size as close as possible.
    Sometimes mine end up 1 pixel smaller on all 4 sides but still work, but bigger pixels dimensions fail.
    Are you saving for web and devices as png? Cause the default png format is terrible.

3. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I should clarify, when I asked if the .9.png had to be the same size, I meant the file size (bytes). I always try to make them as close as possible in height/width. Good point about saving in web and device mode, it does optimize the png quite well. I do not remember if I did or not. Will try that out when I get home this evening. Thanks, if anyone finds something I am missing or screwing-up, please let me know. As I said before, this is totally driving me nuckin' futz.

4. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All your steps seem correct to me so the png configuration seems the logical step.
    If the .9.png's were not set up correctly you would get errors in eclipse and not be able to create the unsigned apk.

Besides, working on my notification bar one night i forgot to drop my changes in to draw9 altogether and just pushed them to the phone without the borders or dropping into eclipse, and oddly enough they still worked on the phone.
    Seems the notification bar doesn't get scaled anyhow, so don't know why they bothered with the .9.png format.

5. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hear ya. Seems like one of those things they do just to make it a little bit harder for people to change the default UI. LOL. Maybe it has to do with file size? Since the .9.png's are "stretchable" you can do alot more with less data. Who knows, I just wanna figure this out. I have so many great designs for the notification bar/menu and I am totally sick of the bogus white one.

6. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, got it all squared away now.

I found out what I was doing wrong, I was defining an "activity" in Eclipse instead of leaving it blank. Sweet! All is good now. This isn't exactly hard to do, I just pulled a real bone-head move. LOL

7. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah there you go, ya that'll make a difference.

Definitely easy once you got the process down, just the documentation is awful so there is a bit of hit and miss while u work it out.

8. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I'm psyched.

Yeah, I already loved the Moto Droid, now It'll be hard to pry it out of my hands. Thanks for your help. The only thing I want to figure out now, is how to keep the Status bar transparent. If I make a transparent one it stays transparent on the unlock screen and on my Droid 2.1 clock/weather whole seperate screen widget. As soon as I go back to my homescreen (or any of my 5 screens) the status bar goes solid again. It may be 'cuz I'm using Panda Home (?). If you or anybody knows the solution.... please let me know. Thanks again.

9. jpar63

jpar63 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just one of many

Once I figured out the process, it is really easy. Here is one of my latest creations, I call this one Blacklight. No replacement app used, just Bettercut for icons. (important to me, don't want my Droid to become laggy, as many of those home replacemnt apps do). Now to figure out the clock colors on a non-deodexed 2.01 OS, without the use of any home replacement apps. The bottom bar is transparent on this one, just not as much as top.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. eromrab

eromrab New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like it. Don't know why google doesn't allow for built in customization of notification bar... :-(

Search tags for this page

android 4.1.1 notification bar customize

do not want some things in notification bar android

one step green screen removal in photoshop