I need help, I want unlock my Motorola Droid Razr Verizon

tlrasmussen

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Verizon support, and I was informed my RAZR running ICS is already unlocked for international GSM usage by default. The nice lady said all Verizon 4G phones were set up this way, though I can't verify that independently. I was advised to ask for a USIM (usage SIM) card to use in my phone from any provider I decided to use while I'm in Europe this summer.

jbideganeta

Reaction score
GSM unlocked

I just got off the phone with Verizon support, and I was informed my RAZR running ICS is already unlocked for international GSM usage by default. The nice lady said all Verizon 4G phones were set up this way, though I can't verify that independently. I was advised to ask for a USIM (usage SIM) card to use in my phone from any provider I decided to use while I'm in Europe this summer.

I sure hope that is the case. I am traveling to Europe in a week and have tried in vain to get information from Verizon. The only thing I could get out of Verizon when I asked Global Tech Support if the SIM was unlocked was "that is not a service we provide", which to me meant that it either was already unlocked or that they couldn't or wouldn't do it. It would be nice to know ahead of time if it was possible.

Chharith

Reaction score
dope

I sure hope you are right, I fly to Italy in a few hours, I have a Razr, I have 4.0 and will attempt to get a European service provided sum in the next few days, i will let. You all know how that goes.

Chharith

Reaction score
I sure hope you are right, I fly to Italy in a few hours, I have a Razr, I have 4.0 and will attempt to get a European service provided sum in the next few days, i will let. You all know how that goes.

Its confirmed, a few hours ago I stopped into a wireless store and bought a week to week no contract plan from 'wind'. The lady took out my sim card and inserted the new one, my razr asked for a sim password, she put it in, and then the phone had a pop up saying that the sim card was not recognized, all you have to do is go into your settings and allow the use of other services, I kept the data turned off for the 3 hours it took the sim to activate to avoid any roaming fees. She told me that I was the first person to come into that store with a unlocked smart phone, thanks to the ota update to pics 4.0.

I'm trying out 'wind' for now, its like our metro PC's but worse, if that even makes sense, I can only call and text people with the same service provider or else I get charged like 12 euro cents per text, I forgot what the call per minute rate is, it was a lot. I also get only 1mb of data, but I guess it works out because the plan charges you on a week by week basis. So it can really add up. With 'wind' I keep going below 3g coverage indoors, and a very slow 3g out doors, almost iPhone slow. and I keep getting signed out of my Google account. I am not even going to try surfing youtube.

Once I get comfortable in Italy I will try out the only other service provider out here, 'vodaphone' or some crap like that, I avoided it because it has a contract, and a lot of Americans here have been hit with surprised fees, the euros can really hurt your hard earned money.

So, there you have it, any verizon smart phone with 4.0 comes unlocked by default for global use, just be warned the service is nothing near as good as it is in the US... damn the things I take for granted!

Hope this helps!!

susanhempler

Reaction score
Unlock Droid Razor 4g Verizon NEED STEPS

Hi, I have a Motorola Droid Razr on USA Verizon network and I want use my phone on other network.
How can i unlock my phone?

Did you ever find the steps to accomplish this??? Need to do this as well...

fireman00

Reaction score
I was told by a verizon tech that they don't offer unlock codes for 4g phones because the locking to their CDMA network is done via software on the SIM card and that if I were to use another company's card it would work. Can someone whose more knowledgeable advise if that's true? I'd like to give Net10 a whirl but only if I can bring my MAXX with me.

phontek642

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone read the previous posts? It was stated that if your verizon phone is running android version 4.0 or higher(4.1.2), that it is unlocked for GSM by default and you need to get a U-sim card from an overseas cell provider to use it there. available week to week or with contract. but its slow and expensive.

read the posts!!

Richardneu

Reaction score
let me no

If thats true. I got a Droid Razr. I want to use on the Straight. Talk. Network

Richardneu

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone read the previous posts? It was stated that if your verizon phone is running android version 4.0 or higher(4.1.2), that it is unlocked for GSM by default and you need to get a U-sim card from an overseas cell provider to use it there. available week to week or with contract. but its slow and expensive.

read the posts!!
. I hope thats true

ryan0720

Reaction score
wrong razor m and razor maxx r locked they will not run prepaid sims im talking from experience so if anyone knows how to unlock please inform

theblackabbot

Reaction score
If thats true. I got a Droid Razr. I want to use on the Straight. Talk. Network

This is what I'm interested in for next year. My contract is up and I want to try Straight Talk. I've read that all I would need to do would be put a Straight Talk SIM card in there and it works, but I have not tried it.

thesnowman2020

Reaction score
GSM is an entirely different cellular technology and different cellular radio. The RAZR sold for Verizon can't and never will be compatible with GSM, no matter what you do to it, since this model doesn't have a GSM radio installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

not true the verizon razr is a world phone which supports cdma hspa umts edge gsm. in theory it is compatible however verizon software wont read any sim card other than verizon sim cards.

4low4fun

Reaction score
not true the verizon razr is a world phone which supports cdma hspa umts edge gsm. in theory it is compatible however verizon software wont read any sim card other than verizon sim cards.

So what's the work around? Cause I would like to put one on a umts network.

thesnowman2020

Reaction score
So what's the work around? Cause I would like to put one on a umts network.

I am still trying to figure that out. Verizon won't even talk to me about it. I know there is a way so I am going to try to contact motorola, which is now owned by google and see if they can help me. My phone was paid for in full, no contract due to having an unlimited data plan and not wanting to loose that so the phone is mine not Verizon's. Therefore I should legally be able to "unlock" which is a weird way of saying it because its an :unlocked" world phone. Apparently using gsm in the usa isn't part of being unlocked. I'll be contacting motorola later today when i have time. Will post back when i ever i hear from them. I'm an over the road truck driver. I have found places that i deliver frequently that verizon doesn't work at but att does. I want to put an att sim in my razr so I don't have to juggle two phones.