I need help, I want unlock my Motorola Droid Razr Verizon

vladas1987

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Motorola Droid Razr on USA Verizon network and I want use my phone on other network.
How can i unlock my phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hi, I have a Motorola Droid Razr on USA Verizon network and I want use my phone on other network.
How can i unlock my phone?

The phone can't be "unlocked" in the sense that the bootloader is locked on these phones. I have heard of SOME success with re-flashing ROMs for the Cricket network, but that's about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've heard there is a hack to get the Razr flashed to a GSM network. Don't know the details or if there's even any truth to it. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've heard there is a hack to get the Razr flashed to a GSM network. Don't know the details or if there's even any truth to it. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

GSM is an entirely different cellular technology and different cellular radio. The RAZR sold for Verizon can't and never will be compatible with GSM, no matter what you do to it, since this model doesn't have a GSM radio installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
GSM is an entirely different cellular technology and different cellular radio. The RAZR sold for Verizon can't and never will be compatible with GSM, no matter what you do to it, since this model doesn't have a GSM radio installed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1619563&page=2

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The functionality does exist. The phones are using a Qualcomm world phone chipset for voice and a separate Motorola labeled chip for LTE. Verizon announced that the Droid4 would get a world phone update. It uses the same guts as the Bionic, Razr, Razr Maxx. Verizon disables the GSM in the radio firmware. in one of the secret menus you can actually see the GSM settings and them being non functional and disabled.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well blow me down. If there's one thing I am willing to do, it's admit when I'm wrong.

It goes against everything I've read or been told about CDMA versus GDM, but it also makes sense that chips are being made more and more these days to perform multiple functions for different devices, if for no other reason than to keep costs down and profits up.

Bravo to the devs for cracking this.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
FoxKat said:
Well blow me down. If there's one thing I am willing to do, it's admit when I'm wrong.

It goes against everything I've read or been told about CDMA versus GDM, but it also makes sense that chips are being made more and more these days to perform multiple functions for different devices, if for no other reason than to keep costs down and profits up.

Bravo to the devs for cracking this.

Stick to battery advise and leave phone unlocking to the experts... lmfao
:)

Edit:
DUDE! ha.. ha.. ha...

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Stick to battery advise and leave phone unlocking to the experts... lmfao
:)

Edit:
DUDE! ha.. ha.. ha...

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Touche' :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn I'll bite on this one... Really?? Hell I would've lost a bet on this one..lol This is why I love these forums... News to me. Big news IMO...
Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Damn I'll bite on this one... Really?? Hell I would've lost a bet on this one..lol This is why I love these forums... News to me. Big news IMO...

Thanks for being with that me on that one too. I would have lost the entire pot on that bet.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being with that me on that one too. I would have lost the entire pot on that bet.

You and I have been around a while ...lol I thought they were rumors about the razr during speculation threads of pre release being possibly a world phone. Now that I think about it...hmmmm. I guess since there is a GSM and a cdma this is possible after all...Hell with P3 anything could happen...lol

Didier9

Reaction score
is Razr GSM capable?

My understanding (based on what's available on the Motorola web site) is that the Droid Razr has the proper hardware for GSM, but that it is locked out by Verizon to force people to use their own international service.
I assume that the GSM radio can probably be unlocked by Verizon if they feel like it.

In the past, I have read that Verizon will unlock a phone that has been under contract for a while (at least 6 months), but I have not asked them myself. I believe I will try to have then unlock my Droid Razr when it is 6 months old because I do travel overseas on occasion.

Reaction score
According to several articles I read a while back (I don't have the links), the GSM would be unlocked by default. Once people start receiving the OTA update or I suppose use the leak, I'm sure someone will attempt to test it to make sure.