I need a good kernel... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by [ L ], Aug 21, 2010.

1. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

I have tried P3Droid's, Slayher's, jdLfg's, and ChevyNo1's kernels. All have given me very high temperatures (up to 110 degrees Faihrenheit) and low battery life (down to 5% after using it to read MLIAs with the app and engadget for about thirty or forty minutes), and I need a cool, stable, and fast kernel, preferably one that goes up to 1.2 GHz.

I am running whatever I have posted in my signature, and I hope someone can give me some advice as to which kernel I should use.

Please help, and fast!

--:motdroidvert::heart::greendroid:
  2. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

Someone please help, I really need it!
  3. mdloops

mdloops New Member

If you have tried all of them and are still running that hot I believe it is "the monkey" and not the wrench

In other words, you are not flashing correctly or do not have something right. 1.2ghz, are you just pulling that number or do you actually know that your phone is capable? Search for how to posts may help
  4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Are you running on-demand or are you running performance? If on-demand, are you allowing the Droid to clock down to the minimum when you're not actually using the Droid?

110F is nothing to worry about, especially if you're talking CPU temp. The CPU can take up to 150, though it's not a good idea to keep it there for long as the motherboard isn't quite so tough.
  5. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

I run it on-demand, though I don't know how you set the phone to underclock after locking the screen. How do you do that?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

make a "screen off" profile
  7. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

Thank you for telling me! I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a long time.
  8. furbearingmammal

The profiles are your best friend. I have a screen-off profile set at 99 priority at 250-400 on demand and an overheat profile set at 250-550 conservative with a 100 priority. That way my phone slows way the heck down when it overheats and when the screen is off, even when it's charging.

Make sure all your profiles have a 250/125 (depending on kernel) minimum speed so it'll clock down when you don't need the speed.
  9. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

Installed jdLfg's 1125 kernel, and it works great. Though it does take a while, it still gets quite hot. Any suggestions as to one that gas great battery life and can stay very cool?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  10. furbearingmammal

No overclocked phone will say "very cool". Even stock phones don't stay "very cool". Probably the only option you have to stay "very cool" is to use ULV kernels and clock them down to stock speeds.

What temperature would you consider acceptable?
  11. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

How hot is hot?

Try lower clock speeds, try lower voltages, or just try tinkering with settings in SetCPU. Try conservative governor, maybe more profiles for temps.

Using a case, charging, ambient temps, or just using the phone cause the temps to go up. If you use the phone, chances are after a while it is going to warm up. Since there is no active cooling on the processor it can really only go up in temperature if it is working. Usually it kinda peaks, but that isn't always the case.
  12. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

This time it can go up to 120F but that might be because of me switching ROMs. I went from Pl3x to Lithium last night and now I don't have any reboots at 1125 but it heats up way more. Is it because my main profile is 950-1125 with the On-Demand governer?

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk
  13. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

"Acceptable" would be what I had when I first installed jdLfg kernels, anywhere from 86F to 98F.

14. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Your main profile has the minimum speed at 950?
  15. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

Yes, yes it is. Should I set it to minimum with a different governer?

16. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

My minimum is 300 MHz, if that helps.

Sent from my REVOlutionized LithiumDroid
  17. furbearingmammal

Always, ALWAYS put the minimum at the lowest possible level! Your phone is smart enough to increase speed as soon as any demand hits, faster than you could imagine.

If you had a kernel that doesn't get over 100F and heat is more important to you than speed, stick with it. If you go faster and the CPU gets too hot for your tastes, you'll have to decide which one is more important to you; speed or heat.

The CPU in these phones can take 150F, and the motherboard is rated somewhere around 140F (not that you should run your CPU at 140F for more very long at all because the motherboard won't like that), but it's the battery you have to worry about getting over 140F because it'll shorten the life of the battery. If you're honestly worried about temperatures over 120F you probably shouldn't overclock your phones at all.

As always, ULV kernels will heat your phone up the slowest, LVs next, and S/MV kernels the fastest. Someone even has an increased voltage kernel floating around, but you DON'T want that one for obvious reasons.
  18. [ L ]

[ L ] New Member

All of Chevy's kernels (ULV-HV) didn't even boot up successfully the first time. Slayher's and jdLfg's seem to be the most stable/least hot kernels, so I will continue to use theirs. I hope jdLfg releases a ULV soon, because that would definitely help me a lot.

Sent from my REVOlutionized LithiumDroid
  19. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

100% yes although I do use the on-demand governor and personally recommend it, although conservative isn't terrible depending on the type of user you are.

I am going to use a terrible analogy here, but it kinda works. Say you buy a car. You get the car home and realize it can only go 60mph as it's top speed. So you modify it, to go 120mph, and it can do it relatively painlessly. What is going to happen if you run at 120mph or thereabouts for a long period of time? Chances are something is going to get quite hot, and a lot of fuel is going to get burned. Similar what is going on in your phone. Sure the performance may be great, but battery life and the health of my phone is more important than being 100% fast all the time.

Personally I run a 1ghz kernel. My minimum speed is 125mhz. My max is 1ghz with governor set to on demand. This means that the phone will run at 125mhz, if an app or function pops up that calls for more speed, it bumps up to the next higher speed....and repeats that process until the app is running efficiently. The conservative governor works similarly, it just speeds up slower in order to conserve more battery. Performance = highest speed all the time, basically what you were running it at before.

When you had the minimum speed set to 950, it didn't have a chance to run slower for times that it wasn't necessary to run really fast. Sending a text message, 950mhz is overkill. Making a phone call 950mhz is overkill...actually for most things 950mhz is overkill. Sure your phone is going to never hesitate for that 1/10th of a second mine may, but....once again battery life and health of phone come into play. I can use my phone quite a bit and get a full day's use out of it, and not really have to worry about temperatures. Plus my phone is relatively snappy at the same time.

You may want to take a glance at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html <-- an excellent thread full of great information. Some of it may be over your head, or over what you plan on knowing. But quite a bit of it is in layman's terms.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  20. furbearingmammal

Ask and see if one is in the works. Can't hurt. :)

Sorry, editing away the stuff you answered in your post already...

Some phones can't handle some kernels, which is why Chevy is updating his regularly. His latest run smoother and cooler than ever for me, so I'm glad he's this dedicated. Your phone might not handle his kernels for whatever reason, no matter what he does to them, because of the way he does things in them. For you, those other kernels seem to be perfect, so stick with them. :)
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010