I must be outa my mind.....

Freezetron

Reaction score
Sup, names Freeze, don't ask for my real name or details, i'm a private person and prefer to keep it that way. Im a pretty major tech guy as I do IT for a living and then come home and spend more hours on my custom build gaming rig, play my xbox 360, watch stuff on my custom built HTPC with gigabit networking...ect..ect..

For the most part though, I have been pretty happy and satisfied with my "basic" phones from Verizon over the years. I"ve been pretty much attached to the LG brand ever since getting my first cell phone from my first IT job, an LG 3200 clam case back in 2004. Needless to say, ALOT has changed in the cell phone market but I just never saw a point, reason or need to spend all this money on these "smartphones" everyones been having orgasms about. The idea of paying nearly $100 a month in a cell phone bill, let alone $200 for a freaking "phone" was just beyond me, even for a tech nerd that I am.

Until last week

My 2 year contract is nearly up and i've been curious to see what was new in the cell phone world lately, so I went to my local verizon store since my work day was being pretty quiet and with the kiddies and teens in school, the store was a helluva alot quieter as well.

Of course I had the Verizon reps right my face asking me what I want and what they could do and I said I was just looking at "basic" replacement phones and wasn't interested in all the smart phone crap. The guy gave me a particularly funny look and asked

"Uhh, any reason why that is?"

"I dunno, I just find the whole idea of needing and paying out the end for a freaking phone that does all this useless apps crap pointless IMO. I just wanna make calls and text message and for my next phone, I want a full keyboard now that im texting more. I couldn't help but notice the basic phone selection kinda sucks now"

The guy shrugged and said the market and consumer demand was simply driving towards more and more smartphones. I waved him off and said I was just looking at basic phones, so he left me alone. So I spent some time looking at the new LG models I've had good luck with them and never bothered with any other brands over the years, especially motorola. I was quickly dissapointed in the current selection that was available in regards to basic phones vs all the crackberrys and smutphones that were being displayed. Frustrated, I decided to wander over since it wasn't busy in the story and futz around with the smartphones and maybe see what all the hub bub was about.

1. I quickly found out that smart phones with windows mobile SUCK ASS! Even being the avid Windows user I am since windows 3.1, I couldn't believe how much of a PITA it was to work my way around any companies phone based upon the windows platform. Bleeech!

2. After trying the droids across the room, I fell in absolute love with the HUGE Droid X. The screen was absolute tech sex, it moved and responded so fast and I actually began to play around with the apps, settings and customization of the phone itself to the point of near obsession until the salesmen from earlier walked up, catching me off guard with this huge **** eating grin on his face

"So...... what do you think now?"

After nearly and hour of playing with the various droid models, im now actually thinking about spending $200 on a freaking phone and prepping my bills to handle a $100 cell phone bill.

I must be out of my mind as all I can think and hear is that damn sound: "Drooooid.......droooooid....drooooid" Must try more apps...must try more games...watch vids in HD..... I farking want my Droid now, no matter the cost!

Even the commercial is awesome!

[video=youtube;tiaRAcpIJmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiaRAcpIJmw]YouTube - Droid X is here[/video]

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
After playing with the Droid X, Droid 2 and a little bit of the Fasicnate this past week and trying to read the garbled mess that is engaget and gizmodo about the best smart phones and more web reviews on them. i'm more confused on what I should get, so i'll lay it out simply.

1. I MUST have a phone via Verizon Wireless. Verizon rules the roost up here in Montana. There is no Sprint, ATT, Cingular ect..ect... Verizon my only choice other then Alltel.

2. This is MY FIRST SMARTPHONE. As such, i'm not as picky and finicky as alot of you veteran smart phone users are. I DO NOT care to hack/root or modify my phone in any shape or form. With this being my first smartphone my primary uses of it are going to be in primary use order:

A: Phone calls *duh*
B: Texting
C: Surfing the web when im bored
D: Learning and trying out the phone, Android OS, apps all all smartphones things related

I DO NOT CARE OR NEED apps for facebook, photobucket, twitter ect...ect.. I don't use that crap. I value my privacy and I don't subscribe and broadcast my info on the web like half the planet does. As such, my phone WILL NOT be used to check my email as its simply not important for me to check my email every freaking 5 minutes.

Also, I really don't care/need HD video recording or need quality pictures with the camera. I have a dedicated camera for that.

I also don't give flying flip about GPS usage. I don't need or care for it. Period.

I want the phone to be reliable, smooth and fast. I really like the size of the Droid X for the built in keyboard, its much smoother to use for me vs the slide out keyboard on the Droid 2. The Fascinates screen is very nice but really hate that im stuck using Bing as a search engine, thats almost a deal breaker for me unless their is a way to rip it out and use google. I"ve been reading issues with the Samsung having lockups and freezes. Alot of older reviews gripe about the use of Android 2.1 OS usage. How have the phones improved/worsened since the launch of Android 2.2?

Thanks for any incite. I"m going to be getting my phone at Costco as they have much better pricing then the Verizon stores here, are including an SD card, car charger and case with the phone and have a very long return policy if I need it, but I would like to multiple returns/exchanges if I could.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a tech guy.... once you start playing with a Droid there's no turning back :)

You've done right by urself by actually trying each device in hand, that's half the battle.

The only thing I think you'll be irritated with (as most people are) is the amount of bloatware loaded onto the devices now.
I know you're not looking to hack/modify your device, but simply gaining root access to your device will open a whole new world for your tinkering... and give you the option to remove all the bloatware (ie the facebook, twitter, skype, yadda yadda yadda)

All in all, I think once you cross to the dark side there's no turning back :)

Please let us know what you decide on and come back to share your experience!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! I was the same way when I got my Droid. I had read what rooting was but had no interest in actually doing it. Plus, as a Verizon rep, I didn't know how managers and the "big wigs" would respond to me "hacking" my phone.
2 months later, I found Droid Forums and saw what rooting allowed you to do and I took the jump...and will NEVER look back! I knew absolutely nothing at all about any of this stuff but everyone here was/is extremely helpful and knowledgeable! I'm doing things I never saw myself doing with a phone and computer! Android and the forums have given me a passion I never knew I had and I'm very thankful for that!
Btw, the Droid X is an AMAZING phone, you will not be disappointed! :dancedroid:

As a tech guy.... once you start playing with a Droid there's no turning back :)

You've done right by urself by actually trying each device in hand, that's half the battle.

The only thing I think you'll be irritated with (as most people are) is the amount of bloatware loaded onto the devices now.
I know you're not looking to hack/modify your device, but simply gaining root access to your device will open a whole new world for your tinkering... and give you the option to remove all the bloatware (ie the facebook, twitter, skype, yadda yadda yadda)

All in all, I think once you cross to the dark side there's no turning back :)

Please let us know what you decide on and come back to share your experience!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
So whats this "root" thing everyone talks about? If I have to do C++ or Visual basic programming crap, i'm not interested.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rooting gives you administrator rights to your device and all of the files that are otherwise restricted to do with as you please...at your own risk of course.
We're not just talking about wallpapers and apps but, editing build.prop files, custom ROMs, themes, kernels, and so on! Its a whole other world when rooted!

So whats this "root" thing everyone talks about? If I have to do C++ or Visual basic programming crap, i'm not interested.

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
I guess its something to think about but for the time being, i'm having a hard time deciding between the Droid X and the Fascinate.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Tough decision as they're both great phones! For me, it would be the X but your preferences may differ. I say the X because of Motorola's reception, 3 microphones, and less plastic than the Fascinate. Battery life is also strongest on the X too which is a huge plus an undoubtedly affected by the reception as well. The Fascinate's display is hypnotic though! Haha!

I guess its something to think about but for the time being, i'm having a hard time deciding between the Droid X and the Fascinate.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the manufacturers aren't too fond of people messing with their programming! Haha! The .sbf files to flash them back to stock are on here too though, should you need to go back.

Ehhh, voiding warranty and disabling updates doesn't seem worth it to me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can always revert back to a non-rooted OS... it's not permanent.

Updates aren't that often.... and there will be plenty of fuss in the forums before an update even makes it out... and when it does you can't miss it.

Not to push rooting on you, I don't believe it's a necessity for everyone. Just those who like to tinker. And there's no programming knowledge needed. A lot of it can be done with a simple click of an app, and if not, there are tutorials ALL OVER this place :)

I'd suggest using the device 'as-is' for a bit before even considering rooting. I'm with the thinking, "If itsn't is broke, don't fix it"

I'd recommend the X, but that's personal opinion. Both are great devices... and it's been rumored that Samsung may do away with Bing and revert to Google search with the next update. Nothing concrete though. And if I could remember where I read it I'd post :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Sorry if I came off like I was trying to push you into it, it wasn't intentional.

You can always revert back to a non-rooted OS... it's not permanent.

Updates aren't that often.... and there will be plenty of fuss in the forums before an update even makes it out... and when it does you can't miss it.

Not to push rooting on you, I don't believe it's a necessity for everyone. Just those who like to tinker. And there's no programming knowledge needed. A lot of it can be done with a simple click of an app, and if not, there are tutorials ALL OVER this place :)

I'd suggest using the device 'as-is' for a bit before even considering rooting. I'm with the thinking, "If itsn't is broke, don't fix it"

I'd recommend the X, but that's personal opinion. Both are great devices... and it's been rumored that Samsung may do away with Bing and revert to Google search with the next update. Nothing concrete though. And if I could remember where I read it I'd post :)

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Thats fine, I just hate getting suggestions forced down my throat when its something I may or may not use or care about. Seeings how this is my first smartphone, im gonna take it easy and simple for awhile anyway, im suffering from an info overload as it is.

The Fascinate screen is nice but I like the larger screen on the Doid X so keypad is bigger and easier to use when im texting is the main reason I'm leaning towards X. Unless I find something the Fascinate has the X doesnt.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed! Especially in landscape! If you can't type on THAT keyboard, you probably can't type! That thing is HUGE!!!

Thats fine, I just hate getting suggestions forced down my throat when its something I may or may not use or care about. Seeings how this is my first smartphone, im gonna take it easy and simple for awhile anyway, im suffering from an info overload as it is.

The Fascinate screen is nice but I like the larger screen on the Doid X so keypad is bigger and easier to use when im texting is the main reason I'm leaning towards X. Unless I find something the Fascinate has the X doesnt.