I must be getting old... question for the younger crowd.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I keep seeing people on facebook posting one word posts with a # in front of them. At first I thought it was some sort of programmer's geek speak but I see some people using it who can barely work a mouse and keyboard so I ruled that out.

For example:

#dowork
#boomstick
#hungover
#headache

What the heck is with the #? And what is "boomstick"?

techguru

Reaction score
The # makes it show up in searches, although I see it more on twitter than facebook. Can't help you on boomstick although I am sure either google or the urban dictionary will have something to say.

sajgel

Reaction score
If you are a fan of the movie Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell. A Bookstick would be his gun. The # thing, I dont know

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing people on facebook posting one word posts with a # in front of them. At first I thought it was some sort of programmer's geek speak but I see some people using it who can barely work a mouse and keyboard so I ruled that out.

For example:

#dowork
#boomstick
#hungover
#headache

I don't play games on Facebook but wondered what a boomstick was, so I did a simple Google search and found this: BoomsticK - the official webgame site so apparently they are games available for Facebook users.

techRob

Reaction score

For example:

#dowork
#boomstick
#hungover
#headache

hahaha "boomstick" - good memories :) That's from "Army of Darkness" - GREAT Bruce Campbell flick (inspired by "Evil Dead 1 & 2" - more or less a sequel to those...all three movies kind of run together though, so it always confused me).

As for the # ... maybe that...no...maybe its...no.... ya know, i really don't know what those "special" children are thinking :unsure:

holeshot

Reaction score
If your on twitter and you have selective tweets enabled on FB every tweet you end with # will automatically post it to your FB profile to. As far as # coming first its for search as techguru has said.

OP
V

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Ok, I get the search thing... sorta. Why would you want #headache or #hungover to be searchable? And who searches for such things on facebook anyway?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
semi-related

i've seen lots of references in forum threads to "10char" - what is that??

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
i've seen lots of references in forum threads to "10char" - what is that??

Try typing a post with less than 10 characters and see ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gixxerboy

Reaction score
10char is just a filler people use bc the minimum amount of text allowed for us to post is 10 characters

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
10char is just a filler people use bc the minimum amount of text allowed for us to post is 10 characters

And this is to keep users from flooding the forum.

(posting alot of threads quickly) :icon_ banana:

Reaction score
The #whatever is a hashtag. It's just a way to add a category to whatever message you're posting.

So someone could post a status message or tweet that says "dallas cowboys suck #nfl" and if someone searches for NFL it'll catch the hash tag and add it to the results.