I miss the old Car Dock App!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DroiDon, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DroiDon

DroiDon New Member

I know this is pretty nit-picky, but I guess the new dock apps are not for me... I don't like the squares in the car dock app, and I am not a fan of the new desktop dock app either. Is there any way to load the old ones back on?
  2. kastein

kastein New Member

I agree with you here....and has anyone noticed that when not in dock mode for navagation that the screen dims out....
  3. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

I also agree. I understand the good intention, and it was a nice idea to include a link to the music app, but it feels like less nice of a UI overall.

Plus, if you 'exit car home' it actually closes the program, even if you are in the car dock, so then you have to go to the app drawer and relaunch it...

Anyone with a Car Home 2.1 apk?
  4. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

I'm guessing you guys are running Froyo now? Never used the Car Dock app. Anyway, the one on 2.1 is built on a different base so it may not work.
  5. Realistic

Realistic New Member

it also blocks any notifications like text messages from showing their content in the bar at the top. This is the killer for me I never text in the car but at least I can read something really quick while I'm driving.
  6. DroiDon

DroiDon New Member

glad to know I'm not the only one! I felt pretty silly posting this thread, but I am in good company!dancedroid

I'm thinking of going back to 2.1 or maybe trying something else.. Not just because of the dock app changes, just the overall experience. I'm not even using the Froyo launcher, and flash still has a ways to go before it can be used regularly. The fact I'm wanting to change 2 additional things on this build makes me reconsider even having it.
  7. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I totally agree that the look of the old 2.1 car dock was terrific, at least, better than a bunch of squares... I can live with it, specifically because in the car my buddy sits on my lap, I rely on the voice more than the screen, so it's nav is not in car dock mode, hence txt's etc. still come through.

Not to divert, but small changes are great! Favorites in phone for example, if I hit one to call and they have multiple numbers, in 2.1 it would just list the numbers, now it still lists them, but gives me the home, mobile, work etc for easy figuring out what number is which...
  8. DroiDon

DroiDon New Member

I'll give it a few more days.. I have a feeling I'll get used to it.. I rely on voice too, its just ugly? Like I said, nit-picky.. but it looks like a step 'back'.
  9. rancidcrab

rancidcrab New Member

Is there any way to "add" shorcuts to the blank squares? That would be cool.
  10. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Having the exact same problems. Just searched for this specifically so I could complain about it lol. 2.1 Car Home was WAY better. 2.2 Car Dock is definitely a downgrade IMHO.

If you exit car home, the screen dims after a minute...but I have to exit car home to open up Pandora, for example. I really want the 2.1 Car Home back
  11. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Bump...anyone know how to keep the 2.1 Car Home on Froyo?
  12. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Also, on the old car dock, if you exit car mode and hit home, you would go back to the car dock. Now if you want car dock back you have to relaunch it.

Also, why is maps on the 2nd screen? Shouldnt that be on the first..
  13. brochaos

brochaos New Member

if you are rooted, there are ways to do it. i've only figured out how using odexed roms though.

the new car dock is horrible though, not sure what they are thinking. putting maps on the second page? if you need to use the launcher you have to fully exit and then relaunch? blank squares with nothing on them? just seems so unpolished. i was wondering if the droid2 had the same layout though...
  14. ohioDroid

ohioDroid New Member

15. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Try "Custom Car Home" from the market.
  16. josh.zechman

josh.zechman New Member

Try Car Dock V2 from the market. Very customizable.
  17. DroiDon

DroiDon New Member

Considering Cardock v2 from the market is an uglier version of the stock 2.2 car dock, I wont be using it. Thanks for the suggestion though!! But it did get me to thinking... Since you can download Cardock v2 and replace the stock Cardock app with it, Is there anyone out there that can create a Cardock 2.1 app that can be downloaded from the app store? I would give a thousand internets... dancedroid
  18. r314bd

r314bd New Member

this x1000

please :)
  19. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Figured out a workaround for this.

Download Locale + Locale Dock Condition (by Jamie Countryman). $9.99 in the market (or free if you're a pirate which I in no way condone or endorse.) I set the Dock condition as screen timeout = never and the Default condition as screen timeout = 1 minute. Works perfectly on FRG22D.
  20. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

It's not ugly if you customize the icons, which the app supports. But yes, the default icons blown up do look lo-res and ugly.
Search tags for this page

bionic car dock apk download

i want motorola cardock app for galaxy s4?

old missy dock