I May Be Uncarrier-ing Verizon Via T-Mobile

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's really quite easy. I logged into my GV account and requested a port of my longstanding Verizon number. Immediately after paying my 20.00 fee I logged into MyVerizon and requested a new number which instantly replaced the old one. 24 hours later the GV port went through and my old number was safe! It's a bit worrisome because your number "disappears" for one day but it ported just fine. I did a lot of reading about it prior and worried a lot for nothing. It saved my VZW account for selling under an AOL without having to give up my number.
Good looking out.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just currently made the switch from VZW to pre-paid T-Mobile ($30 plan) and couldn't be more happy with my Nexus 4 (had the GS3) along with the service. HSPA+ works fine in Chicagoland and it's plenty fast for me. I sold the phone on Ebay and thanks to some great advice from another Droid Forums member I also sold my unlimited data plan via an Assumption of Liability (AOL) for $325. I used the "Google Voice Trick" to quickly port my longstanding number to Google Voice and immediately requested a new number on my MyVerizon website. Otherwise, if you port out the account will be closed and you will be SOL.
I know Ill be happy also with Tmo's service.Full steam a head Crank!!!!!

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just currently made the switch from VZW to pre-paid T-Mobile ($30 plan) and couldn't be more happy with my Nexus 4 (had the GS3) along with the service. HSPA+ works fine in Chicagoland and it's plenty fast for me. I sold the phone on Ebay and thanks to some great advice from another Droid Forums member I also sold my unlimited data plan via an Assumption of Liability (AOL) for $325. I used the "Google Voice Trick" to quickly port my longstanding number to Google Voice and immediately requested a new number on my MyVerizon website. Otherwise, if you port out the account will be closed and you will be SOL.
Im gonna bless a student in my church with S3,she'll be excited.Give,and it shall be given to you:good measure,pressed down,shaken together,and running over shall men give unto your bosom .........Now where did read that......:D

Last edited:

hotice

Reaction score
Unfortunately raw coverage isn't the only advantage Verizon has. They also have the best building penetration. Just because of the frequencies they use their signal tends to be less susceptible to interference and blockage than the frequencies of other carriers. The building I'm in is very old and has metallic based window tint. It really hurts the signal from other carriers in our building. Verizon works much better.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
same thing in our hospital, all carriers drop dead outside except verizon that's able to penetrate lead reinforced walls.

52brandon

Reaction score
Unfortunately raw coverage isn't the only advantage Verizon has. They also have the best building penetration. Just because of the frequencies they use their signal tends to be less susceptible to interference and blockage than the frequencies of other carriers. The building I'm in is very old and has metallic based window tint. It really hurts the signal from other carriers in our building. Verizon works much better.
sure. But if it's where you work or there is public WiFi access, it's no problem, as TMO does voice over WiFi. I have only ever been with Verizon and TMO. Started on TMO (at the time it was Voicestream) switched to VZW like 7-8 years ago, love the service, but dislike what the company is doing. TMO was GREAT to me as a customer, they really went out of their way to make me happy, overriding upgrades and whatnot to get me into a new phone for next to nothing when my old one was falling apart. If they have close to the same customer service, and have even marginally improved coverage (I live in the middle of a major city and don't travel much) I will be more than happy. Either way, I can't wait to find out. I really hope their new business plan catches on and leads to the other carriers doing similar. And to think they were so close to being AT&T last year. We would have never seen this crazy shakeup. I wonder if that's why they did it. Figured "screw it", this is their second chance with $1BIL extra from AT&T, try a radical makeover and see where it goes