I love my Fascinate but am starting to wonder if I'll have iPhone envy

armeddroid

Reaction score
Not supporting the iPhone, but I seriously get tired of people trying to make arguments on something they don't know much about.
no need to make 4 posts in a row buddy. also you said that the iphone's display is way better than samoleds, which i definitely disagree with. "retina display" is just a gimmick. all it is is a high resolution screen, which really doesn't matter. its like 720p vs 1080p on a 19" tv. it doesn't make much of a difference since the pixels are so damn small either way. samoled screens are WAY nicer.

that being said:
(these lists are in no particular order)

Pro-Droid arguments: more options in phones, more customizability in the UI & OS, flash, notification system (imo), free navigation (i don't think this ever made its way to iOS devices, but I may be wrong), market refunds, overclocking, ROMs, sd card expansion, google voice integration, removable batteries

Pro-iPhone arguments: better/more apps, more fluid and refined UI, generally user experience, lack of fragmentation, better media & entertainment (ie itunes and the iPhone music/video apps), the iPhone is GENERALLY a more physically high-quality product than most Android phones in many people's opinions including mine, stuff "just works", jailbreaking gives you widgets and a customizable lockscreen and other seemingly Android-only things, better battery life than any android phone I know of, little nuances that make it seem high quality.

There are the facts that I personally could think of. I would have bought an iPhone if it were on Verizon back in 2007/2008 but now that Android is thriving and the iPhone is coming soon, I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably stick with Android unless the iPhone 5 is really nice and iOS is updated quite a bit. I don't like how it feels that a lot of what Google does is just playing catch up with Apple and how they haven't spent a lot of time refining the little things in Android. Little things make a big difference. HOPEFULLY this will change with Honeycomb and whatever they're calling the next phone version of Android.

Only if you go that route, mind you. Meaning if your a person that jailbreaks or root your phone.
Cause we don't know what kind of user the OP is and we have to keep in mind, a majority of iPhone and Android users don't go that direction..
Just saying.

~DFApp

fichdak

Reaction score
Only if you go that route, mind you. Meaning if your a person that jailbreaks or root your phone.
Cause we don't know what kind of user the OP is and we have to keep in mind, a majority of iPhone and Android users don't go that direction..
Just saying.

~DFApp

That's true. I'm just used to posting in the roms/hacks section of this forum where everyone is rooted. My bad :p I still think it's the best way to make the comparisons though because it shows what can be done if the user wants to.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
It is all about preference. But mind you that you have a samsung product. Don't judge android on samsung. IDK if samsung is to blame for the updates or carriers but if you think about it no carrier has froyo for samsung yet. I bought my droid x with froyo out of the box. I have an ipod touch (iphone without data plan and voice capabilities) and I would take my DX any day over the touch.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Vector Google maps / navigation, Rooting, etc.

iPhone has navigation and your can root it, it's just called jailbreaking.

Rooting and jailbreaking are completely different. Let me know when you get a fully functioning custom rom on the iphone. I'm fully aware of the iPhone navigation seeing as how my sister has an iPhone. I said vector navigation ...

one could argue that the iphone doesn't need custom roms to increase performance as it works out of the box, no? Or are you referring to some other advantage to running a custom rom? If so, please elaborate

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

armeddroid

Reaction score
Just saying.

~DFApp

That's true. I'm just used to posting in the roms/hacks section of this forum where everyone is rooted. My bad :p I still think it's the best way to make the comparisons though because it shows what can be done if the user wants to.

I agree but somehow, someway when you get on forums such as these, for some... you end up going to the dark side. Lol.. so either way, both sides def should be clarified for both kinds of users.

~DFApp

Rogue27

Reaction score
Who is this guy and have u heard of "over post"? Its kind of ridiculous and im sure ill school u in any phone of ur choosing. I owned and got to know 8 different cell phones last year alone not just on vzw either. Its funny cause i get tired of having to read posts from noobs like u. I work with phones every day as my job so please excuse me when i say maybe u should brush up on a few things.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Dont be to hasty to jump on the iphone wagon if it hits verizon on tuesday. Whispers about the iphone 5 are already surfacing. Some say as soon as this summer so your best bet is to wait anyway.

Some say as soon as this sunmer? A new one comes out every summer so it probably wasn't that hard for them to guess lol. Once it's on the same network it pretty much is down to customisation like somebody else said.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Melody

Reaction score
My personal opinion is while their is no doubt that the iphone is a good phone I heard on the news that many people have jumped on the iphone bandwagon for reasons that play on ego/noteriety/popularity, versus this being a practical needed phone that suits their lifestyle. So dont get the phone because so & so has one, really look into & study this phone prior to buying it. :)

wil318466

Reaction score
I think a lot of you are just flat out wrong.

I despise Apple products. I can't stand the way they control their software/apps/vendors. I like the openness of Android, hands down. It's why I just won't buy a Mac or an iPhone. I'd rather have the freedom to do what I want.

That being said, they probably are the best company in the world when it comes to design and integration. Their stuff just flat out works, it's easy to use out of the box and it's simple. Thats why so many people love it - because it's easy and they don't have to deal with headaches.

Let the facts be known, the iPhone is smoother in terms of OS. Android gets laggy sometimes, no matter what hardware you're using. I've tried them all and I still get lag. You don't EVER see that on an iPhone. Apps work. Things don't pause, or hang, or crash. They do an Android. Just a fact.

the iPhone is built "cool". It looks nice. The screen is nice. The pictures look good on it. It's almost a status symbol. People don't care what apps or software or customization options you have on Android, they'd rather have an iPhone, and theres nothing wrong with that.

I love my Fascinate. It's fast, works great, beautiful screen, sleek design. Is it perfect? Almost. It's close to perfect for ME - after the work I put into it rooting, installing a rom, kernel, and set up all my profiles in Tasker... yeah, it's really nice.

But I wouldn't begrudge someone not wanting to put a few hours of work into customizing their phone the way they want. If they want simple and easy to use - go with the iPhone. If you want to set your phone up the way you want it and are willing to mess with it and learn how to do a few things, I'd say go with Android.

Its really that simple.

cpjr

Reaction score
Not supporting the iPhone, but I seriously get tired of people trying to make arguments on something they don't know much about.
no need to make 4 posts in a row buddy. also you said that the iphone's display is way better than samoleds, which i definitely disagree with. "retina display" is just a gimmick. all it is is a high resolution screen, which really doesn't matter. its like 720p vs 1080p on a 19" tv. it doesn't make much of a difference since the pixels are so damn small either way. samoled screens are WAY nicer.

that being said:
(these lists are in no particular order)

Pro-Droid arguments: more options in phones, more customizability in the UI & OS, flash, notification system (imo), free navigation (i don't think this ever made its way to iOS devices, but I may be wrong), market refunds, overclocking, ROMs, sd card expansion, google voice integration, removable batteries

Pro-iPhone arguments: better/more apps, more fluid and refined UI, generally user experience, lack of fragmentation, better media & entertainment (ie itunes and the iPhone music/video apps), the iPhone is GENERALLY a more physically high-quality product than most Android phones in many people's opinions including mine, stuff "just works", jailbreaking gives you widgets and a customizable lockscreen and other seemingly Android-only things, better battery life than any android phone I know of, little nuances that make it seem high quality.

There are the facts that I personally could think of. I would have bought an iPhone if it were on Verizon back in 2007/2008 but now that Android is thriving and the iPhone is coming soon, I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably stick with Android unless the iPhone 5 is really nice and iOS is updated quite a bit. I don't like how it feels that a lot of what Google does is just playing catch up with Apple and how they haven't spent a lot of time refining the little things in Android. Little things make a big difference. HOPEFULLY this will change with Honeycomb and whatever they're calling the next phone version of Android.

Last time I checked this is a forum, I can answer as many posts as I choose. Secondly, your opinion on screens, is just that...an opinion. I do however find it funny how many people get soooo outraged on the Internet, calm down....it'll be ok little guy.

cpjr

Reaction score
Who is this guy and have u heard of "over post"? Its kind of ridiculous and im sure ill school u in any phone of ur choosing. I owned and got to know 8 different cell phones last year alone not just on vzw either. Its funny cause i get tired of having to read posts from noobs like u. I work with phones every day as my job so please excuse me when i say maybe u should brush up on a few things.

Go ahead try it. I went to school for computer and electrical engineering and have been repairing cell phones like the iPhone for a few years, also have quite a bit of time under my belt as a director for a wireless communications company. Not that it matters, but I'm also a super mod on a very large iPhone forum, my point being.....I do know what I'm talking about.....so don't be a prick. We can't all be as seasoned as you with your 10 posts.

cpjr

Reaction score
Vector Google maps / navigation, Rooting, etc.

iPhone has navigation and your can root it, it's just called jailbreaking.

Rooting and jailbreaking are completely different. Let me know when you get a fully functioning custom rom on the iphone. I'm fully aware of the iPhone navigation seeing as how my sister has an iPhone. I said vector navigation ...

No they aren't at all. And rooting has nothing to do with installing a rom, sure you have to root to do it.....but just because you root doesn't mean your installing a custom rom.

Rooting allows you read/write access to the file system. Access you wouldn't normally have.

Guess what, jailbreaking is the same exact thing.....just on the iPhone.

Sure the methods are different.....but is the same exact thing.

cpjr

Reaction score
Anyways, better stop posting before someone gets upset....I was having s calm discussion before a handful of (I'm guessing kids) had go get mad.

Seriously though....there really is no need to get angry, really.

shdowman

Reaction score
I don't think people are getting "mad" cp. I would just recommending consolidating arguments into one post as opposed to 5 in a row. Just a suggestion. And people really don't care about your "credentials".

Anyhoo, I'll throw my 2 cents in here...

I have the Fascinate now coming from an OG Droid. I have hated this phone until I rooted/rom'd it. Now it is much more tolerable. Anyhoo, yes, iOS has a much simpler integration and ui. That is where apple excels is at making things oversimplified for the masses. This is both good and bad. It allows for a consistent environment for developers (hence the more "quality" apps and accessories). More people in general appreciate how "easy" it is to use. Updates are consistent accross all devices. And lastly, the marketing is insane for the iPhone. People just think it is a better product. Though there is the walled garden effect with the iphone. You are at apple's discretion. No changing of battery, sd card, customization of phone...yada yada...the usual points.

Regarding android, the ease and ability of customizability. For me, after having a phone with a 4" screen, I will never go smaller again. I appreciate being able to remove my memory when I want to and upgrade it, or just have two cards handy. Google integration is huge for me as I use google for everything. Being rooted I have completely de-binged my phone. Things I don't like, is fragmentation of upgrades (especially from samsung...last phone of theirs I will own). The pace at which a newer, better, faster phones are being released makes it maddening deciding on an upgrade. Android still has a bit to go to polish itself to the level of iOS, yet, the ease of customization allows the user to easily fix that.

Regardless, if vzw had released the iphone last year when the iphone 4 came out, I think the landscape would be a bit different right now. But android has had some time to infiltrate the market and start entrentching itself pretty well. I would've considered getting one had it come then. But as it stands now, there are too many compelling offerings coming from android for me to want to switch.

Who I feel bad for are the uninformed masses that will go like sheep to pick one up and lock themselves into two year contracts (with no more NE2 or 1 yr upgrade discount) and have to watch as 2 more version's of the phone come out before being able to upgrade 4 months before the even newer version comes out.

Anyways, I think that people should get what they like and are comfortable with. There is enough cool tech to go around that there is something for everyone. Now vzw will have aome of the best smartphones on the planet. Good time to be one of their customers imo.