I love my Fascinate but am starting to wonder if I'll have iPhone envy

Jordan8

Reaction score
The iphones biggest drawback is at&t. Now if verizon gets the iphone Tuesday... suppose it just goes back to customization & what not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
Google Services, widgets, open, Super Amoled. Quite a few things. Oh, and its on Verizon. :)

Sent from my Droid

Sounds like big red will have it, and the retina display on the iphone4 is much better than super amoled.

The iPhone has navigation (I would expect it to. lol.), but its not free and integrate like Google's navigation. Also, I can agree that the 'retina' display is better, but then again I can't. As a big media person, I like Super Amoled better. For text and in pictures in most cases, yea the retina display does give a better experience.

True it's not free, however $30 IMO isn't the end of the world and there are benefits of having the maps loaded onto the phone vs using data for google maps, at least you can still navigate without service. That happened to me :(

Display is just personal preference (as is most anything) I love the retina display, I think it blows amoled in every way including media and certianly in bright/outdoor settings.

cpjr

Reaction score
The iphones biggest drawback is at&t. Now if verizon gets the iphone Tuesday... suppose it just goes back to customization & what not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

And Apple :icon_eek:

Well, everything is VERY polished on the iPhone due to apple's anal attitude, but the con to that is well, keeping a strangle hold on customization.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Android has much more options then iPhone.

~DFApp

Thats kinda subject to individual interest, stuff like widgets ok, but there is nothing major one can do that the other can't.

True but there is still a limit on what you can customize on an iPhone vs an Android.
Jailbroken lphones or rooted Androids are another matter.

~DFApp

cpjr

Reaction score
Android has much more options then iPhone.

~DFApp

Thats kinda subject to individual interest, stuff like widgets ok, but there is nothing major one can do that the other can't.

True but there is still a limit on what you can customize on an iPhone vs an Android.
Jailbroken lphones or rooted Androids are another matter.

~DFApp

I agree stock to stock, android stomps.

Rooted to jailbroken, really depends on the user.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Sounds like big red will have it, and the retina display on the iphone4 is much better than super amoled.

The iPhone has navigation (I would expect it to. lol.), but its not free and integrate like Google's navigation. Also, I can agree that the 'retina' display is better, but then again I can't. As a big media person, I like Super Amoled better. For text and in pictures in most cases, yea the retina display does give a better experience.

True it's not free, however $30 IMO isn't the end of the world and there are benefits of having the maps loaded onto the phone vs using data for google maps, at least you can still navigate without service. That happened to me :(

Display is just personal preference (as is most anything) I love the retina display, I think it blows amoled in every way including media and certianly in bright/outdoor settings.

Doesn't the 5.0 update that came out a few weeks ago add that? I recall caching maps and offline navigation.

cpjr

Reaction score
way more games and apps...... oh wait nevermind

LMAO....this is one thing that is really annoying me about android development, quality just isn't there yet, any app compared to the AppStore counterpart, is a lesser app.

cpjr

Reaction score

Doesn't the 5.0 update that came out a few weeks ago add that? I recall caching maps and offline navigation.

Caching still means it has to be downloaded after the fact, needing data to get the ball rolling, from what I understand (haven't messed with it)

miretchin

Reaction score
The hardware on the iphone is equal, in approximation, with any other mobile phone on the market, and both run a growing os. Both have 200,000+ apps, which past 100,000 isn't a big dif. Thus the choice is whether or not. You like the closed, extremely tightly integrated ios style. In conclusion, I love my droid, but people can't deny, the iphone is actually good phone, for all its flaws.

going vintage: the original DROID DOES!

cpjr

Reaction score
I want android and IOS to mate.

That's the phone I would use!!!!!!

fichdak

Reaction score
Not supporting the iPhone, but I seriously get tired of people trying to make arguments on something they don't know much about.
no need to make 4 posts in a row buddy. also you said that the iphone's display is way better than samoleds, which i definitely disagree with. "retina display" is just a gimmick. all it is is a high resolution screen, which really doesn't matter. its like 720p vs 1080p on a 19" tv. it doesn't make much of a difference since the pixels are so damn small either way. samoled screens are WAY nicer.

that being said:
(these lists are in no particular order)

Pro-Droid arguments: more options in phones, more customizability in the UI & OS, flash, notification system (imo), free navigation (i don't think this ever made its way to iOS devices, but I may be wrong), market refunds, overclocking, ROMs, sd card expansion, google voice integration, removable batteries

Pro-iPhone arguments: better/more apps, more fluid and refined UI, generally user experience, lack of fragmentation, better media & entertainment (ie itunes and the iPhone music/video apps), the iPhone is GENERALLY a more physically high-quality product than most Android phones in many people's opinions including mine, stuff "just works", jailbreaking gives you widgets and a customizable lockscreen and other seemingly Android-only things, better battery life than any android phone I know of, little nuances that make it seem high quality.

There are the facts that I personally could think of. I would have bought an iPhone if it were on Verizon back in 2007/2008 but now that Android is thriving and the iPhone is coming soon, I don't know what I'll do. I'll probably stick with Android unless the iPhone 5 is really nice and iOS is updated quite a bit. I don't like how it feels that a lot of what Google does is just playing catch up with Apple and how they haven't spent a lot of time refining the little things in Android. Little things make a big difference. HOPEFULLY this will change with Honeycomb and whatever they're calling the next phone version of Android.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Vector Google maps / navigation, Rooting, etc.

iPhone has navigation and your can root it, it's just called jailbreaking.

Rooting and jailbreaking are completely different. Let me know when you get a fully functioning custom rom on the iphone. I'm fully aware of the iPhone navigation seeing as how my sister has an iPhone. I said vector navigation ...